» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Damasks, Rugosas et al In SEQ

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Damasks, Rugosas et al In SEQ

Post by lildeb on 10th April 2013, 15:15

I have managed to put off asking a question for ages now, and I guess most Rose folk might think it is a silly question, but quite some time ago I was told not to bother attempting to grow the Damask, Centifolia and Rugosas here as they would not flower due to our mild winters. We do get a few frosts over about a 6 week period in winter, but even then the days are generally pretty mild. I know Lilacs need a good chill in winter to get them blooming, even though the lilac trees themselves will grow quite well; would I have the same problem with these types of rose?
I have tried to research online, but apart from the occasional drip of information like "Noisette roses do particularly well in the warmer areas" or "This Rugosa is best grown in cooler climates", I have not been able to find much information..

I would dearly love some Damask roses in particular, but not if they refuse to bloom for me... love
OH and Tuscany or Tuscany Superb... dreamy sigh...
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Damasks, Rugosas et al In SEQ

Post by jordan71 on 10th April 2013, 19:11

not sure what your climate like lildeb as I've never lived there , but I keep lots of damasks and and rugosas here in Melbourne, and I have no problem with them flowering , bear in mind some are only flower once and on the occasion might spot flower in autumn .

good luck .. sorry couldn't help you further

D
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 10th April 2013, 19:30

We have tried the odd Damask over the years but gave up on them. Once flowering (if that) and lots of black spot.

Probably not worth the effort.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 10th April 2013, 19:58

I get a lot of BS on roses here and I haven't noticed the damasks being any worse than anything else. (Not that I have the full collection though. I wish! Very Happy Very Happy )
But, one of the best ones is Hebe's Lip ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) I don't notice BS on it and it sets nice hips.

Quatre Saisons / Autumn Damask is good grower. Yes, it gets a little BS but not like some. And it's put out the odd flower throughout the year besides the main flush.
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 10th April 2013, 20:06

Thanks guys, what about Rugosas and Centifolias Balin? Have you guys grown them?
Jordan we get a lot of rain (usually) in summer so humidity is up a bit on you guys, not as bad as on the coast. Average summer temp of32, average winter daytime temp of 20-ish, which can get down to 2-4 overnight for about 6 weeks.. So yours flower happily in Melbourne? I know there are a couple of Damasks that are supposed to repeat flower... And there are some beautiful roses with Rugosa in their breeding which I would love to try growing if there was a DECENT chance they would do well! But don't want a lovely healthy rosebush which never blooms!!!!

Autumn, your post came up just as I was about to post; and you are just the right lady to find out from!!
Hooray to hear you do get flowers!! Don't suppose you grow Leda rose by chance?? If you do, what is your experience with growing her?? Flowers?? I know she is a spring-flowering rose but that's okay, not everybody has to work overtime!!! Once a year is fine if it is worth waiting for!! After all, thats what the perennials are for!
lildeb

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 10th April 2013, 20:11

Leda... yes I have that and I have had it in the wrong place so it hasn't really done a lot. It will be moved this winter. I haven't had it flower much - as I said, there's been a few issues where it's been planted. And every time it flowers some stinkin' bug chomps half the bud away! Cursing

Take my advice with a grain of salt though - we do get cold and frosty here in the NE of Vic over winter. But 2010 and 2011 were "Queensland summers" (ie. wet and humid) for us and I can say that Hebe's Lip was fine.

AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 10th April 2013, 20:16

Aha! you folk battle bugs, but here the possums, or escaping dairy goats (elec fence died in latest floods) beat all but the fastest bugs!
roflmao
lildeb

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 10th April 2013, 20:18

New Solar elec fence arrived today; nice cup of rosehip and lemon balm tea while I sit and watch the goats learn manners, that is my dream for tomorrow!!
lildeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 10th April 2013, 21:15

We used to have Blanchefluer and it was my favourite white flower. It to was susceptible to allsorts of bugs and fungal infections. Once again it only flowered in Spring but used to put up a really nice display.

It passed away one winter. Not sure why but it was probably growing on Dr Huey rootstock which does not do very well at all at our place.

We have never tried Rugosa's. I think someone said that we would have trouble growing them.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 11th April 2013, 06:58

lildeb wrote:Thanks guys, what about Rugosas and Centifolias Balin? Have you guys grown them?
Jordan we get a lot of rain (usually) in summer so humidity is up a bit on you guys, not as bad as on the coast. Average summer temp of32, average winter daytime temp of 20-ish, which can get down to 2-4 overnight for about 6 weeks.. So yours flower happily in Melbourne? I know there are a couple of Damasks that are supposed to repeat flower... And there are some beautiful roses with Rugosa in their breeding which I would love to try growing if there was a DECENT chance they would do well! But don't want a lovely healthy rosebush which never blooms!!!!

Autumn, your post came up just as I was about to post; and you are just the right lady to find out from!!
Hooray to hear you do get flowers!! Don't suppose you grow Leda rose by chance?? If you do, what is your experience with growing her?? Flowers?? I know she is a spring-flowering rose but that's okay, not everybody has to work overtime!!! Once a year is fine if it is worth waiting for!! After all, thats what the perennials are for!
lildeb,
you can try Quatre saison and I know Wendy has it also , mine has flushed few times and there is few buds on it right now . as for rugosas try Roseraie De L'hay mine is still blooming now .. its a risk you take . you may get the perfect bush without Bs or mildew but never flowers or u may get something that producers lots of flowers and its a disease magnet .. I have lots of oldies here and some are more healthier then the new Ht's and flori. and vice versa .. so its all a gamble
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 13th April 2013, 23:23

But way more fun and happies than playing the pokies eh!!!
lildeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 14th April 2013, 09:17

lildeb wrote:But way more fun and happies than playing the pokies eh!!!

lol

for sure

maybe more expensive then the pokies haha
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 15th April 2013, 19:33

SHHHHHHH!!!!! lol!
lildeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 16th April 2013, 06:47

Razz
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 16th April 2013, 07:36

At least with buying roses you tend to have something to show for the money spent. Unlike the pokies...
It's an INVESTMENT. Very Happy
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 16th April 2013, 07:44

lol so true wendy
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 18th April 2013, 09:31

Oh I DO like that Wendy!! I will use that next time on loving Hubby!!! Idea
lildeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 on 18th April 2013, 22:11

Sarah Van Fleet the rugosa does very very well in Toowoomba. Mainly Roses at Laidley sell it.
Tuscany Superb is not worth it here.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 19th April 2013, 06:32

Sarah Van Fleet is an excellent rose lildeb. like Bonita suggested
jordan71

Back to top Go down