Post by maree on 25th March 2013, 12:32

Okay , i'll have a look
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Thinking

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 25th March 2013, 16:47

Maree, it is is in your profile, I have just had a quick look, you can change it, there are 2 which I would change.
Yours is the same Warren, it explains why you did not receive the email which most others did.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5167
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 25th March 2013, 16:54

i never got an email either Tantrum roflmao
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 25th March 2013, 17:24

I've changed mine Roseman thanks ....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 25th March 2013, 18:46

Dan, can you fix your or do you want me to fix it. If you do, all you have to do is go to your profile and edit it. I have not looked at yours Dan, I think you might to change 2 no's to 2 yes's
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose on 25th March 2013, 23:37

Hello rosebuds, I am watching the forum but can't contribute any bits and pieces at the moment other than to say it is great to be part of a community with very knowledgable and entertaining rosarians.
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 26th March 2013, 06:32

maree wrote:I've changed mine Roseman thanks ....

Maree, I have just had a look at your changes and you will not receive notifications. All bar one of the yes/no answers are listed as no. If that is how you want it set, that is ok.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 26th March 2013, 07:30

roseman wrote:Dan, can you fix your or do you want me to fix it. If you do, all you have to do is go to your profile and edit it. I have not looked at yours Dan, I think you might to change 2 no's to 2 yes's

lol

david can you please fix it

:-)
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 26th March 2013, 11:04

fixed......
neptune

Number of posts : 2438
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 31st March 2013, 07:07

Below are some replies from "Thinking", there are no names, some are shortened, some I have added something, you will see this very easily.
1) It's a community rich in knowledge,
2) It's a fun and stimulating group of people,  There are also members who closely share my particular interests
3) Within a very short period of joining, I've already been pointed in the right direction for several rose varieties. Those tips alone alone are worth membership.
Hi David,
Thanks for the email, it served as a ‘nudge’ to remind me that I have neglected to stay in touch with life and folk for quite some time...
The line above is so true to life and to us here(added by me)
And that nice things such as roses and friends are out there
I've been a bit slow but will be back soon
Dear David
Hello there.  I remember you from the rose forum Dao used to run - was that his name.  I had come from the city to a 5 acre block partly cleared and wanted to plant a garden of heritage roses.  I  have done that and I learnt a lot from the people on that forum including you and others.  This new forum is not as interesting to me - I have no interest in reading at length about black spot once again or aphids or any of those as I rarely have disease or insects of any kind on my roses. Coloured by me David.
So I am busy, So I occasionally look in to see if there is a post I am interested in but basically I am just very busy and sometimes when I look in, there are only posts that do not interest me.  Maybe a section on heritage roses??
Hello,
I don't post very often just because of a big lack of time... I wish the days would have more than 24 hours...
The one below needs thinking about
Hi David,The reasons I don’t post very often on Rosetalk are complex and varied.
·Firstly, my enthusiasm died quite a bit last year after all that rain. My roses had a serious case of black spot and I still haven’t figured out how to shake it off.
·I feel like I’m too much of a novice for the site and that I need to build up my knowledge base and establish my garden a little more before I can contribute. I don’t want to ask stupid questions.
·I feel “shy” and unsure about forum etiquette.
·It feels like there’s an established group of friends already on there and it’s hard to join in on the conversation.
There you have it!
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 31st March 2013, 07:30

More Responses,
Being a relative new comer to Rosetalk, I have found Rosetalk to be a fantastic site.
It is well constructed easy to navigate and covers all relevant topics.
My experience with forum members has always been one of respect and a source
of valuable information and constructive guidance. 
I don't really think the site needs to under go any changes, but having said that, maybe
we could have a space where members could post photos of their best rose for that
month, where members can judge/critique their choice. The member who has their
rose selected for that month then has to give the history of the plant with, from the
time of purchase, all the high and low points of the plant etc.
That's it from me Dave.
Hi David, thanks for your email. As a mother with 3 small children, working part time and doing a phd the rest of the time, over the past year I have had very little time to use forums. I am interested in the Rosetalk forum, but if my lack of participation is problematic, feel free to delete me. All the best,
How do we retain these sort of people above or do we ?
Hello David
Thank you for the prompt reply, I'm sure there were a few. It's always good
to take stock and reflect on where we are and where we are heading, in all
aspects of life. I look forward to further discussions on the forum.
The one below comes from a very early member here and a previous forum(Dao's)
Hi David,
It's been a long time, but all is well here. I have just been caught up with so much teaching and teacher training- 30-40 hours pw - a lot of it online. It takes up my "online time" I used to have on the forum. I don't even lurk on the Antique roses forum because of time.
My love of roses and breeding has never changed. Still at it flat out, and my roses have put on some of their best displays ever this season. I pruned them brutally last winter - because we were going overseas and I didn't have time. Hacked them to the ground, and they have been superb. I think in our climate, where the growing season is so long, I will do a big summer prune as well, to stop all the lanky growth.
Cheers David C.
This one below I think we all need to help in her new endeavour
Hello David
Fair enough question! I joined and have been stuck ever since.  I am moving you see and the real estate market is slow! I live in Qld and have grown roses here for 14 years but I am moving to the Blue Mountains ( Lawson I hope) as soon as I sell. I don't participate because I don't know what I need to know.  Elevation and temp is so variable in the BM that I don't want to waste the time your members. I was going to wait until I know where I will be. Am happy to post a question though if you like.
Rosetalk is wonderful. Thanks you for doing it.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 31st March 2013, 08:03

More,
Hi David,
In response to your question as to why members might only lurk. There are a
couple of factors involved in my case.
1. There is an extremely high level of expertise and interest in roses and
feel I don't I quite fit in but, nevertheless, I have learnt a few things by
browsing as a lurker. I don't feel I have anything to contribute that could
possibly be of use or interest to anyone.
What do people think. This has me thinking

Hello thank you for emailing me a very quiet one.
My excuse is that my life as a single mother grew in complications centrelink stress to close my business & not much Brain space or memory for much else.
I'm sorry my non input seems to be causing such deep distress. It's not what I would wish on anyone. Feel free to delete me so I no longer cause u stress.
My apologies & well wishes & Happy blooming beautiful roses to everyone.
I will address this one above directly.

I have just signed in after not being on the forum for a couple of years. What do I want from RoseTalk? I'm not sure other than it's nice to have both specific and general talk about roses and on many subjects. Group administrators have a tough time. I used to be one and sometimes it is us who drive the group, rather than the members. The previous piece in Italics, I do not go along with, it is the members which make it run.
I do think we should have an 'Off Topic' (I agree) section where people can talk about anything they want to, keeping in mind that we need to observe courtesies and not flame anyone, nor push our political, religious, views etc.

Couldn't remember my password so haven't had a look at forum.
This is a common problem when people do not use the forum
Thanks for the prod , not that you really had been forgotten
Computer trouble culminating in a mega crash and having to buy a new one and learning to use a new system .... actually only got the email setup and working properly yesterday .... blaaaaah weather that Sometimes I just want to shout “stop the world for a few hours please or at least slow it down so I have more hours in a day” .doesn’t make me feel like gardening , a bleed in my eye that is really p –ing me off because it’s affecting my vision a bit and the frantic pace of keeping up with all the stuff the kids are doing at school  .
The garden is looking a bit feral atm and I actually let the horses in last night to eat some of the couch and kikuyu down so I can find some of my roses again.
Best Wishes to you all at R.T
will catch up soon.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 31st March 2013, 08:16

And more, the last.
Hi David
Thanks for you message.
I am very interested in continuing on being a member of the forum.
I enjoy it very much.
Hi David
Thanks for you message.
I am very interested in continuing on being a member of the forum.
I enjoy it very much.
I haven't been on for a while as I have gone back to part time work and don't have the same amount of time as I did.
Thanks again and I'll see you on the forum.
Cheers....
Some Thoughts please on parts of this one below
Hi David.
I do value the forum as a resource although I do not use it as much as I
would like - being busy etc.
It is possible that many folk use it when they are new to rose growing but
then move on as they grow more adventurous....
It could be good for you to start a thread called "Ideas to strengthen the
Forum" and members could nominate new ideas to improve/maintain the forum as
a useful tool. Mind you, I think it is a good forum - it is just that I
forget it is there. Mea culpa.
Hi David
Have just logged back in to the forum, it looks great. I have not been on for ages but this is only due to work commitments, I also admit I tend to read rather than post. Keep up the good work.
Hi David,
I hope to come back on in the near future as I have finally had some success with cuttings and seeds and will soon have cuttings that I can make available to other members. One of the problems with roses is that cuttings/grafting/seed raising is an inevitably slow process. Many people are too impatient these days and expect results overnight. I suspect this may be one reason why some people leave the forum. Patience is no longer a virtue for many people these days, who have grown accustomed to the instantaneous satisfaction provided by the modern world. Nature works at its own pace and many people seem to lack this understanding.
Also when times are good people are inclined to spend more time outdoors and some may not ever get time to turn on their computer. When times are bad e.g. drought times or prolonged wet periods, people have
Hi David,
The forum is mostly forgotten in my daily browsing routine. This I put down to any comments not being automatically emailed to me as on other forums. Maybe my account is not set up correctly. This can be fixed and will be, am looking at this problem.
Regards
David

David, I have asked questions about rose problems through the forum. And I 
value it as a resource.

I'm afraid I forgot about that forum. I do still have it bookmarked, so I'll try to get over there once in awhile.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st April 2013, 06:08

Have or has anyone looked at these comments from using members/non using members scratch Hmmmm
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 1st April 2013, 09:37

Yes, I have, but wasn't aware you wanted a response.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 1st April 2013, 10:01

I wasn;t aware you wanted responses, either. My overall impression from the comments, though, is that the attrition and/or lurking rate doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the RTA,. It is largely dependent on people's time, the waxing and waning of their interest in roses whether seasonal or permanent, their expanding knowledge and self-sufficiency.

And, of course, their interest in being active in this community on a regular basis. There will always be turnover on a forum. I don't think it will die , but I'd bet that in a year's time, the names of regualrs will have changed by at least 50%.

I don't know what brought about the demise of the Roses in Oz forum: one minute it was lively, the next minute it was dead. A sudden collapse liek Mayan Civilization ;-) When a few key people left, the rest followed, I guess.

The diff here is that the core RTA people are the breeders and exhibitors. You guys will always have fresh info you want to share and to hear about. Active membership may shrink or expand through the years, but the core will keep it alive and relevant and special.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st April 2013, 10:57

Barbara and Betsy, no response was needed unless something triggered your thoughts.
As for Roses in Oz I believe it was consumed by a bigger thing and the rules of it broke it's back.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 1st April 2013, 12:58

Possibly current gardening trends also influence participation on forums. At present roses seem to have been subsumed by other gardening interests....architectural plants, succulents, drought free, fuss free etc. Many comments mention the lack of time in busy lives - this probably also translates into limited time for actual gardening, so people often gravitate to the plants that make the sort of impact seen on those TV shows that transform homes in dramatic makeovers. How many roses do you ever see in garden makeovers? People have been persuaded to go for instant and easy in all aspects of our lives, including gardening. I look at houses in my own area. So many older homes get demolished, new whizz bang one goes up, huge house but where's the garden? Lucky to have a little patch tucked away at the back for growing veggies. These sort of lifestyle trends are reflected in gardening shows, magazines and forums.
Increasing interest in roses in the future, will I believe, be largely dependent on breeders creating smaller, compact hardy varieties that can cope with the conditions in smaller suburban gardens. Being shade tolerant and highly perfumed will be big pluses.

These are just some ideas that have occurred to me as I read the comments.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 1st April 2013, 13:21

silkyfizz wrote:
Increasing interest in roses in the future, will I believe, be largely dependent on breeders creating smaller, compact hardy varieties that can cope with the conditions in smaller suburban gardens. Being shade tolerant and highly perfumed will be big pluses.

This is exactly what I think. Breeders who concentrate on form and disease resistance are to be commended, but the future of the rose industry as a business will be driven by the implicit needs of medium and high density living. Space and sun, or lack thereof, are the stick , with perfume and continuous bloom the carrots.

The immediate future may not mark the end of in-ground roses planted in 1m circles, but I think we are seeing the beginning of the end ...

Last edited by betsyw on 1st April 2013, 13:27; edited 1 time in total
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 1st April 2013, 13:26

"People have been persuaded to go for instant and easy in all aspects of our lives, including gardening. "

I agree. The one dimensional thinking of those doing the garden makeovers I unbelievable. Consistently we are told that rainforest plants and palm trees are the only things that will grow in our area.

As for drought tolerant. Show me a plant that stands up to the wet and the dry, the hold and the cold as well as roses do. A yet the so called garden experts don't recognise that. I even saw one show where they recommended taking out some old roses and replace them with "native" plants that came from the other side of Australia and not likely to last all that long.

But I digress (sorry David). I have been very busy of late (a lot of it in the garden) and don't have a lot of spare time to post of the board. I do read just about all of the posts and I do not comment on those that deal with roses (Types eg Modern Hybrid Teas, DAs etc) that I don't grow (simply because where I live is not suitable for these varieties).

I do try to comment on those items that I am interested in or if I have found a solution to a particular problem.

However, lunchbreak is over and I do have to get back out into the garden.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1453
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st April 2013, 13:53

Silky, Betsy, Gary, if you combine all of your posts, the underlying things come out, TIME poor, my words, no time out as they used to say. Society is now telling us to slow down after they said we had to hurry to keep up, where is the sense in that.
Betsy, correct me if I am wrong, did you say that you have spent years in the USA, is it the place that runs at the fastest pace, so what do we do, follow like lemmings, I believe they are now slowing down to some what.
Believe me this is not meant to be a sermon, it is what I see in life and I live in the country, I feel for the children of children.
As for reality shows(gardening), they need kicking in the bum.
Bottom line, it is called marketing and we as collective of the world fall for it.
As I said this is not meant to be sermon, it just peeves me off.
I have had my rant for the day, everyone have a lovely day.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 1st April 2013, 14:35

Actually, my emphasis was on the shrinkage of space and available light, not time. But now that you mention it...

roseman, whether you run on Mudgee time or New York time or Transylvanian time, there are only 24 hours in the day. The comparative virtues of slow vs fast seems irrelevant - it's how much of what you must do or what you love to do that you allocate to those waking hours.

For me, the romance of the slow lane is overrated. Do I want to walk 10 miles to the store, or hitch up the horse and buggy, or do I want to drive at 60kph?

Speed and efficiency don't necessarily kill complexity and depth: I make better pastry dough with a Cusiniart food processor than I ever did kneading stuff by hand. And I have more time to make more things - play on this forum, even .;=)

Slowness, like chastity, may be forced upon us at a certain age. I'd prefer to be young and fast and tireless forever and packing a million things into every hour, but it cannot be so.

And now I have more hours to fill with gentler pursuits. (Maybe roses are a post-50s pastime, like bowls) But I still don't want to invest my hours pottering and tinkering with a loser plant.

Take time to smell the roses, sure, but don't call it "righteous" to coax a plant along for season after season, or to make worm casting tea. It's a choice you make for your allotment of hours.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 1st April 2013, 15:59

The only downside of this forum I have found is it makes me want to go out and buy more roses. (resistance is futile)
But the upside is at least I can narrow down the choices by people who have experience with the growth etc, helps decide whether it's a worthwhile choice or a waste of time.
Happy roses

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 1st April 2013, 18:01

I think too, like cooking, skills are not being handed down from parents to their children , so too gardening skills are probably not being taught either , as you say , parents working longer hours , smaller backyards etc , and probably the cost of plants as well , much cheaper and easier to bung in a yucca and some pebbles and be done with it , vegie patches and chooks taking up space as well . What a travesity though if future generations miss out on the experience of smelling a beautiful fragrant rose . The future is in the breeders hands i think ,breed fragrant , no fuss roses and you will secure the future of roses ....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 1st April 2013, 19:08

Okay totally irrelevant to the above conversation, and just because of the opening and starting blocks of this thread, thank you Roseman for your mass email and your thinks
I am one of the faded blooms that has suffered a bit of wilt and been lying dormant but your email acted like a good dose of goat-poo, to remind me that good folk who love to natter about roses (and what's for lunch) are out there and it is time I sent out a new shoot or two and rejoined the garden.
Hope you got my brief email, I do love the forum and here I am, ready to be brave and show a bud or two!
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum