by OklahomaDelight 9th March 2018, 20:00

» Roses in pots
by OklahomaDelight 9th March 2018, 10:55

Found - 'Laurent Carle Climbing'

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Found - 'Laurent Carle Climbing'

Post by maree on 23rd March 2013, 07:41

Silky , you'r the same age as my husband , and once you get to this age it doesn't matter if you are 58 or 63 cause to your kids you are just " old " lol especially to this smarty pants computer /teckno generation .. At least you can get a pension at 65 Silky , for me its 66 nearly 67 i think , which is a real bugger ....
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 23rd March 2013, 10:13

To the young techno generation, anyone over 30 is"old" Maree. Lol
Anyway age is just a state of mind I reckon, gardening keeps us young-er. Not counting the sore back, knees, nicks and wrinkles from sun. Between the garden, walking my dogs every day and 1 or 2 games of golf every week, I get as much exercise as my body can handle.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 23rd March 2013, 10:35

Wrinkles from the sun is right Silky and freckles lol , no peaches and cream complexion i'm afraid , long gone ha ha !!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 23rd March 2013, 10:38

And don't get me started on the state of my nails. Soft hands...NOT!
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 23rd March 2013, 10:44

Lets start an OLD AGE thread, we all would fit into it.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 23rd March 2013, 12:20

Just goes to show how we change during life's journey. Would appear
retirement is the most common age to start.

I rather envy people who start breeding roses at a younger age due to the time it takes from pollination to an age where they can be evaluated. I've had poultry where it takes 8 months from hatching to maturity so stock turns are very fast compared to roses. Doesn't matter really for I'm having a lot of fun. When the first bloom appears I'm like an expectant father. This season I'm getting repetitive blooming on seedlings which is a first for me.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 23rd March 2013, 13:24

Well done Ozeboy !!!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 23rd March 2013, 13:47

Ozeboy, how long does it take to go from pollination to deciding if you have something worthwhile? How many seedlings do you have on the go at any one time? I know nothing about rose propagation, sounds like it takes a lot of patience.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 23rd March 2013, 18:44

Silky, breeding roses is a wonderful experience to add to any ones rose growing and it's not difficult. Unfortunatly it takes about 4 years to fully test a good roses potential. Culling starts very soon after germination when unhealthy ones can be detected Further culling is done as they grow and continues right up to 4 years. The good thing is everyone does it slightly different like cooking Christmas cakes.
Some growers pollinate the first flush and have seedlings well on the way in Autumn while others like the second flush to pollinate. I use some Tea's for seed and pollinate with HT's. Tea hips mature more slowly so speed isn't my aim.

Most rose books have a section on pollination but go to one of the US sites and find all the steps on pollination. Then have a look for Henry Kuska's information on germinating seeds. If you can find any ripe hips around your roses start now with Henry's information.
I open my hips when ripe so as not to let the seeds dry out and place them in a square of paper towel wet out with water containing fungercide. This wet paper towel is folded and placed in a small freezer bag with others in the larger fruit bag aquired from buying fruit.
These are placed n the refrigerator (Not freezer) and checked next August to September for germination. The germinated seeds are then placed in seed raising mix in trays and not allowed to dry out.
Mildew is the biggest problem so find a good mildew spray and you should not have trouble raising your seedlings.

Next year try pollinating some blooms which is not difficult but would suggest just raising seedlings this Autumn. If you can't find ripe hips in your garden due to dead heading then go for a walk and pick some wherever they can be found.
I actually procure roses based on their attributes and ability to grow hips. This winter I would buy a couple of roses to trial pollination so try any below you can aquire.
'Elizabeth of Glamous', 'Red Planet', 'Masquerade', 'Ebb Tide', 'Prima Ballerina', 'Midas Touch', 'Gemini', 'CHEWfragbabe', also known as "Brindabella Bouquet". Tea roses to breed to are 'Comtesse de Labarthe', 'Devonensis', 'Mrs Herbert Stevens' Papa Gontier' 'Madame Hoste'. These are just a few you may be able to find this winter and can be bred from next season though some need the extra year to be mature enough to make hips.

Anyone reading this can give rose breeding a try. My breeding experience goes back about 8 to 10 years and some of my gifted seedlings have given a lot of joy to friends and other rose growers.
There are other rose breeders on the forum, some happy to give information others not. Collect hips now and put seeds in fridge and buy some breeding roses this winter for pollination next year.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 23rd March 2013, 19:39

good information Bruce.....if you keep putting out spills like this, you'll be needing a secretary to do your typing and save you some extra time to play with your other hobbys....
neptune

Number of posts : 2438
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 23rd March 2013, 20:50

Thank you very much for this information Ozeboy. You given me a lot to think about. I wouldn't mind having a go at growing seedlings, but 4 years! Usually I just dead head everything but now I'll leave some dead blooms and see what happens. How can you tell when a hip is ripe? Does it begin to dry out and split?
In the meantime, I'll start reading up. Thanks again for your generosity in sharing.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 23rd March 2013, 22:18

Thanks Ozeboy, very interesting. My grandfather grew roses and gained his knowledge through reading books. He did breed some roses as a hobby, but unfortunatly he passed away when I was young and plus he was in England, something that I regret of not being able to ask for his knowledge. So it is good to know that there are people who have a busy schedule still able to take the time to share.
Happy roses

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 24th March 2013, 04:11

Hips are ripe when they change colour from green to orange and the stems start to die . Be careful not to leave them too long or they will fall off and possiblybecome lost. Seed from dried out hips can be more difficult to germinate so. Four years to full maturity isn't long when there are a lot of changes happening to keep ones interest. A bit like watching children grow up. Some modern roses produce a good number of hips while others very few. Elina has produced two hips in the past 3 years and all did not germinate. Sometimes good results happen from unexpected crosses. I have one seedling 'Devonensis' seed pollinated with 'Old Port' germinated this Spring that has a lot of potential.
'Don Juan' and 'Devonensis' are good hip producers.
Once you start breeding then a wonderful new aspect of roses opens up. It's not black magic but quite simple when working with the same chromosome counts. People like Warren and Simon who started this Forum are such knowledgeable breeders. Others like Roseman and myself enjoy breeding on a much smaller scale.

Start getting involved you won't be disappointed.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 24th March 2013, 08:20

I have a bunch of dried hips from last year ... (shame on me) and there are quite a few ripening on my bushes right now. In fact I was just thinking that several were getting suitably ripe...
Time for me to try again methinks.

What's a good fungicide? I don't have any ....
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 24th March 2013, 12:26

Last I trawled through the propagating forum, gleaning more information. OK Ozeboy, you've have kindled my interest. Now I will be watching to see if any of my roses start setting hips!
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 24th March 2013, 19:51

Me too!
Happy roses

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 24th March 2013, 20:35

I use Mancozeb (Spelling?) to wet out the kitchen paper towels. Not dripping wet but wetter than moist.
Step 1 cut hips outer cover into 1/4's then pull apart.
"' 2 prize seeds out with a small screwdriver.
" 3 Place seeds on 1/4 of the wet paper towel and fold the towel in half and then half length ways to end up with 1/4 the original size.
Step 4 place flat in a small freezer bag and fold the bag to make it air tight so they don't dry out.
Step 5 label the bag or include a piece of plastic cut from a food container, use a permanent pen marker or Garden Marker to record the plant the seeds came from.
Step 6 place in the refrigerator all freezer seed bags in one of those plastic fruit and veg bags on the rolls in your Supermarket.
Next August check bags for seeds that are germinating so as to plant these in a good seed raising mix. Try Debco mix.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 24th March 2013, 23:21

Thanks for that Ozeboy, I have saved all this information in a new file so I don't forget what to do. Tidied up some bushes today and left a few spent blooms to maybe develop into hips. I have no idea if any will set hips, I'll just wait and see.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 25th March 2013, 10:46

Silky, all the rose breeders do it a little different but have given you two to follow, the Henry Kuska method which I would use if I had something very special to germinate and the method I am doing at the present time.
You are most likely to get hips on the Rugosa roses but try some of the moderns that would be more available like 'Gemini' and 'Midas Touch'.
The climber 'Altissimo' is also a good hip producer. When you start breeding and the bug really takes hold then you can select perhaps 4 roses that should help you reach your goal.
Two very good healthy roses for breeding are 'Carefree Beauty H&P 'CHEWfragbabe' H&P.
If you are under 50 than have a go with some of the species for health and vigour. These crossed with some of the moderns are interesting.
If you stay with the 28 chromosome roses like most HT's and Tea's then you won't get into too much trouble.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum