Latest topics
» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

» Question Please
by Balinbear 20th May 2018, 07:55

» Sick Double Delight Rose
by The Lazy Rosarian 18th March 2018, 11:21

» Peace
by OklahomaDelight 9th March 2018, 20:02

Found - 'Laurent Carle Climbing'

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Found - 'Laurent Carle Climbing'

Post by Ozeboy on 18th March 2013, 02:55

Have found this fragrant rose also identified as correct by two other knowledgeable rose people.
Have grafted about 3 to 5, just can't remember exatly. I now have both the bush and climber. Rose rustling is very rewarding saving this one which is at a very old home surrounded by high rise apartments gave me a real buzz. One can contemplate it's future being in this sought after area for developers. The 'Laurent Carle' bushI found to take cloning material from is no longer alive.
We can't save them all but some of these old HT's from the early 1900's are very worthwhile.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Found - 'Laurent Carle Climbing'

Post by Ozeboy on 19th March 2013, 21:37

Looks like no one wishes to share my joy re this rose. Oh! I forgot most Forum visitors garden from the chair in front of a computer.
Looks like all the Rose Rustlers have left and the topics have returned to the latest releases and exhibition roses. Nothing wrong with that but don't whinge about Blackspot and other problems after purchasing the wrong roses. Those people engaged in exhibiting roses are to be commended for when the ribbons go up some of the best rose growers in the country take the top awards. Wish I had the patience to fiddle with roses for exhibition. I don't spray because it doesn't seem to make any difference and don't pick up or remove fungus infected leaves. Roses are planted, allowed a year to consolidate then they are on there own to grow well or end up in the garbage bin.

Remember the tip I gave you re 'Radio Times' well here's another very worthy of note 'Abraham Darby'. The DA's are a pretty unhealthy lot due to the roses used to create them but these two seem to do well here without fuss.

David, sorry for mixing up the topics but due to time constraints it's here or not at all.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 19th March 2013, 22:38

Ozeboy , sorry but your post is way over my head , leave that sort of a post to the more knowledgeable people on this forum , garden from the chair , in front of a computer , i wish , well my back wishes , i've put more time and effort into the trusty shovel than i would like to admit , must be mad at my age , keeps me fit i say , nothing wrong with latest releases either , someone has to keep the rose companies going hey !!!
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 20th March 2013, 07:27

Sorry Bruce - been busy and didn't recognise the rose so was "yet to form an opinion" on it. That'll teach me to speed-read the topics...
But well done on finding it. Sometimes the trick is finding people who can identify these oldies. I have to get someone come and look at some down the road when they get back into bloom... (think there are some Dawson's in there).
Of course it's a pretty good job to even recognise the rose AS a "lost" rose!! I have many more years before I can come within cooee of your experience in that department!

AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 20th March 2013, 11:42

Gee Ozeboy, you sound a bit grumpy. Don't be so judgemental:
"Oh! I forgot most Forum visitors garden from the chair in front of a computer" is totally unnecessary. Like Maree I didn't respond because I lack the expertise and knowledge to comment. Doesn't mean no-one is interested. Sheesh!
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 22nd March 2013, 18:05

Hello Silky, your'e very astute picking up on my present moods due to health and weeds out of control, chooks need pestercide wash for feather lice and dusting perches for mites. Along with a family marriage (Daughter) and several other grafting and rose commitments. Oh by the way just had my 79th and finding the energy to cope with all this is difficult. But it is great to be alive, I just love life.

Concerning the grumpy, cranky silly old bugger image you have created for me reminds me that another Forum life has been used up.
Having lost 7 in the past before you joined, yours makes 8 so I'm just about gone from this forum, one more to go and gone.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 22nd March 2013, 18:48

Well Ozeboy , if we are admitting our ages , i'll admit mine , i'm 58 , can't believe it , one minute i'm young , free and optimistic , the next i'm , well i'm where i am now , my husband is 63 , he is a really grumpy old bugger , life quite often makes us so , i just know one thing , without my garden , my roses , my natives , my perenialls , my vegies , my annualls , i would be a very grumpy person too , my garden makes me happy and if i can talk to like minded people on this forum , i'm very happy , sure i'm just a back yard gardener with no qualifications , doesn't matter , i'm happy to keep learning and this forum enables that ......
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 22nd March 2013, 19:09

Maree, we like to see the truth whether it be for or against ourselves.
I like your post above for that reason and tell your husband after 60 he is automatically a member and can be as grumpy as he likes.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 22nd March 2013, 20:16

Well I'm not admitting to my age but let's just say I'm older than you Maree and younger than you Ozeboy and my husband too is a grumpy old bugger. That's why I can recognise a case of grumpies from 20 paces. Add to the mix my lifelong career as a teacher dealing daily with moody prepubescents, which probably explains my impatience with grizzles and hissy fits. Mind you, I too am occasionally guilty of these myself, but don't tell anyone else.
It's OK Ozeboy, we all have our moments, don't beat yourself up about it. You sound like you have enough on your plate already, so please don't think of giving away the forum. You have so much knowledge to share. Like Maree, I'm just an everyday backyard gardener. I love growing things and seeing my garden evolve over time into something resembling what I have in my head. Ha, easier said than done. Health issues and a chronic back are my stumbling blocks, but I'm giving it my best shot because my garden keeps me sane, and happy. This forum has enabled me to learn and also have a bit of fun with others. It's all good.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 22nd March 2013, 20:53

C'mon Silky , i dares ya 100 roses petals to admit your age , lol ha ha !!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 22nd March 2013, 21:37

Hi Ozeboy, I think you should do what you enjoy and forget the rest. Jobs are endless and guarenteed to always be there and we all have our moments of despair. Hate to see you go as I consider myself a child of learning here and though I might not comment much, I still take in the tips and tricks that you care to share with us and you tell it straight as it is. Thank you
Happy roses

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 22nd March 2013, 21:41

I will double that and add ten......c'mon Silky.......
neptune

Number of posts : 2445
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 22nd March 2013, 21:46

Hahahahaha. For a moment I thought that was 100 roses!! But petals? puhlease! Lol.
You know Maree, getting old really sucks. You are right, one minute youth, before you know it bleahhh. Most of the time I forget my age, but after a bout of digging, I feel about 90! Still, a sniff of a rose keeps me young. Need more than 100 petals though. Lol

Neptune, just saw you upped the ante. You know, a gentleman never asks! roflmao
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 22nd March 2013, 21:47

Yep , Ozeboy i'm with Silky and Happy , stay , no need to quit this forum
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 22nd March 2013, 21:56

silkyfizz wrote:
Neptune, just saw you upped the ante. You know, a gentleman never asks! roflmao

Ok then...I will be a gentleman, if you will be a good sport and volunteer the sweet little two digit number.... We're not worthy
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 22nd March 2013, 22:09

Neptune you have to be sneaky...I knew a lady who refused to reveal her age, so I asked how old her daughter was...then later on I asked how old she was when she had her. Innocent
Happy roses

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 22nd March 2013, 22:12

Same here Silky , my rhuemitism , sure does play up after a day digging up this and that , but once i get a idea in my head , thats it , got to do it , is your husband like mine , getting him to do any gardening is like pulling teeth lol !!!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 22nd March 2013, 23:01

Maree, my husband avoids gardening, for which I'm grateful. On those occasions he has surprised me with his efforts, usually there is a plant casualty. Last time he weeded all the lilies!
Neptune, just between us, how old are you? I'll tell if you do. Lol
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 22nd March 2013, 23:06

C'mon Neptune , can't pass that one up, can you lol !!!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 22nd March 2013, 23:17

Not a problem , Silky....and being the gentleman that I am, I insist that the lady goes first.........after all, you would not like to be rude ....would you...
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 22nd March 2013, 23:36

Well, when you put it like that, Neptune, I am all of 63 years old. So there.
Now your turn...
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 22nd March 2013, 23:43

neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 22nd March 2013, 23:53

Ah, same as maree. Baby Boomers all.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 23rd March 2013, 00:24

and the same as David...
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 23rd March 2013, 07:14

neptune wrote:and the same as David...
Please explain, Us older folks need explanations.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5175
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum