by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

» Potted Roses
by Rosenda001 19th July 2017, 21:52

Climber recommendatios

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Climber recommendatios

Post by silkyfizz on 30th March 2013, 23:36

No worries girls. You've put me onto Jubilee Celebration, now I can return the favour!
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 31st March 2013, 06:01

Does she come in the Clb form
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Check the bottom comment girls, it "might" put you off. As Silky has it she may be able to dispel this part.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5138
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 31st March 2013, 07:11

The blackspot weakness probably comes from one of her progenitors, Angel Face, which is the Mimi of the rose world, IMO. Beautfiul and tragically sick.

I think Babs is stronger, from what I've read. In any case, he can live out the back if she gets wildly spotty. I want her for her cutting assets and scent ;-)))
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 31st March 2013, 09:16

Roseman , i'm going in with my eyes wide open on this one , as i am a perfume/perfume person ( maybe i should change my user name to that) i'm going to give her a go even though she is blackspot prone , she'll be going in the front of the garden where i can get the max benefit of fragrance , i'll just spray her more regular with Seasol etc , i think a project for next year though , got to get the spot ready ....
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 31st March 2013, 12:16

Well, Babs had a bit of BS initially (first leaves) but that soon passed. She's been clear all season up until now when just the odd leaf is affected, which I remove pronto. No spraying here. Very lax with Seasol spraying too, I'm ashamed to say.This is her first season so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the future. Chartreuse de Palme and Dioressence (fab for most of the season) however are just about defoliated, except for new growth at the top of their sticks. How I hate that look. They were the most perfumed in my garden until I got Babs.
Roseman - climbing version? No idea sorry.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 31st March 2013, 13:39

My Chartreusse has always done that Silky , defoliate , i'm pulling her out this year , and maybe , maybe try her in a different spot next year , i just love the perfume of her , but haven't had a lot of blooms this year , is she worth the effort , probably not , the fragrance of the blooms is unforgettable though , i am pulled both ways , beautiful perfume , but terrible bush , not good with pots either always forget to water them ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 31st March 2013, 14:09

I share your pain with this rose Maree. I haven't had many blooms from her either. When they do come they are beautiful though, and perfume...glorious. May give it another year.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 31st March 2013, 16:41

What a dilemma Silky , what a shame the bush is so terrible , but the perfume so beautiful ....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 1st April 2013, 19:29

I think my very favourite climber so far (in my garden) would have to be Souvenir du Malmaison... she is just beautiful! She flowers in great bursts then rests a little before blooming again, but her Spring/early Summer blooms are glorious. Since discovering that, yes, pepper DOES deter possums, I have also finally seen what a non-chewed rosebush can do cheers
Just be a little more forward-thinking than yours truly the other night, and check the BOM BEFORE using a whole (last) can of pepper on the garden!
That sinking feeling as you are ambling back to the house, slapping mozzies, and the heavens open overhead just can't be beat...
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 1st April 2013, 21:56

Haha Lildeb, what a vision you have conjured.
Yep those blasted possums have played havoc with my baby roses this year for the first time. I must have emptied dozens of pepper containers. They still have a go at the tender shoots of Graham Thomas. SdM is a beautiful rose. I'd love to see yours if you'd like to post a photo.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum