Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

When should one complain

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: When should one complain

Post by betsyw on 17th February 2013, 12:26

Absolutely with maree on this one. If you change the dirt and/or foillow maree's directions, you are eliminating all random chance of old-soil associated probs. Extremism has its places ;-)))
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 17th February 2013, 12:35

Apparently research indicates no evidence of "rose sick soil" due to root residue, but I'm with the girls here, better to play it safe than be sorry. You know better than any of us the heartbreak when things go wrong.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 17th February 2013, 12:47

Yeah, that's what I think, silky. Paul doesn't have a million roses, so it isn't going to cost humdreds of dollars. Even if rose sick soil is a myth, fresh soil just has more goodies in it.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 17th February 2013, 22:44

betsyw wrote:Just out of curiosity, who died? Any survivors, or are they all goners?

What's on your new list?

Thanks betsy... Fragrant Charm, Blue Moon, Diamond Jubilee, Perfume Delight,
have all bit the dust. the others are heading the same way and will be replaced.

This is a list of roses I'm looking at...
Soul Mate… Virgo… Summer of Love… Pascali… Ashram… Aotearoa...
Heart of Gold… Moonstone… Spiced Coffee… Neptune… Virgo… Blackberry Nip
Julia’s Rose...

paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 18th February 2013, 21:05

Paul i have Aoteroa , its three years old , after a shaky start to the year , when i thought this rose is going to bite the dust , it came good and has stayed good , wouldn't say its a prolific bloomer , just a few here and there , but they are very nice blooms . Blackberry Nip is in its first year , so should hold back on my judgement of this rose , but so far , it hasn't grabbed me , but others who have it love it , will take time i think ...
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 18th February 2013, 23:11

maree wrote:Paul i have Aoteroa , its three years old , after a shaky start to the year , when i thought this rose is going to bite the dust , it came good and has stayed good , wouldn't say its a prolific bloomer , just a few here and there , but they are very nice blooms . Blackberry Nip is in its first year , so should hold back on my judgement of this rose , but so far , it hasn't grabbed me , but others who have it love it , will take time i think ...

Thanks for that maree.... for me, I like vigorous growers roses that bloom well, so I guess Aoteroa will move to the bottom of the list. Blackberry Nip may not get a look in, after counting all the reds I have. So I do thank you for your input, its probably saved me some $$$
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 18th February 2013, 23:28

Paul, I have Julia's Rose. It's about 5 years old and has never flourished. Poor vigour, little growth and produces only 3-4 flowers every year. Its flowers are a lovely colour though when they are there. This is only my experience though, so you may have better luck in WA.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 19th February 2013, 01:26

silkyfizz wrote:Paul, I have Julia's Rose. It's about 5 years old and has never flourished. Poor vigour, little growth and produces only 3-4 flowers every year. Its flowers are a lovely colour though when they are there. This is only my experience though, so you may have better luck in WA.

Thanks silky.. I use the info that one gets on this site to further my knowledge.. so if someone has had an experience I think that speaks volumes.

So, Julia is on shaky ground as well...
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 19th February 2013, 22:00

Paul , don't let me put you off Aoteroa , the blooms are a lovely colour ,salmon pink and a good fragrance , its just not a great bloomer like say Firefighter or PJP11 , but it is a slow steady bloomer , and a small upright bush , slow to establish , this rose needs looking after too ,i think what it is that i really like about this rose is the unusual salmon pink blooms , and the fragrance , i think this rose has a climate preference too , read it somewhere , forget what it is now , i really should log these things when i find them for future reference ....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 19th February 2013, 22:13

I have always maintained, to collective derison from rta scoffers, that Aotearoa is best encouraged by a scenic view. It likes mountains very much. Got no mountains? Stake a postcard of the Alps next to it. Stand back ;-)
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 19th February 2013, 22:20

Hahha Betsy, that's priceless! lol!
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 19th February 2013, 22:26

Betsy , lol and lol again , you've got me stumped , do you mean it likes cold weather lol , well in cold Melbourne it has got nothing but humid , horrible hot weather for the past 2 months , if it wasn't for the footy i'd move to Tassie , too hot here lol !!!. When i claimed last year that it was on death row either Roseman or Ozeboy said to give it more water and more fertilizer , seems to have helped heaps , or maybe i gave it the death stare and it perked up , lets see how it goes by the end of summer ..
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by finbarr on 20th February 2013, 11:26

i just read the thread, and although the conversation has moved on i thought maybe i could offer some insights. lots of dr huey ends up in WA chain stores from SA. volume production in WA is difficult because of water/land/soil challenges. local producers of any note grow in pots, production and freighting costs being more than the imports. fortuniana has notoriously unreliable yield results, in addition to significant challenges when budding thus adding further to costs. But, although not scientifically proven the local fraternity swears by fortuniana. can't argue with that.
maree - the advice about more water is correct, we can't stress enough the value of flooding at planting, and before and after any heat events. Very Happy

finbarr

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose on 20th March 2013, 12:57

My experience with Julia's rose that it is a not a good grower. My wife put one at one of the local schools and it is doing reasonably. Although I like the colour it is not a rose I would recommend.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 21st March 2013, 06:33

Doug, you mention "Julia's Rose". I agree it is not a brilliant rose, but, I say. I think it has breeding potential. It's colour is very versatile.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum