Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Landscaping with HT's

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Landscaping with HT's

Post by silkyfizz on 14th December 2012, 11:12

I'd like to know how others incorporate Ht's into a garden scheme that minimises that barelegged stick landscape? Do you mix them with OGRs, DA's or perennials/annuals/other garden shrubs? Do you have sections devoted to different types? The Austins I have are either at the back or in front of beds but maybe I could be more creative? What are some really good plant combinations you have or have seen?
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Landscaping with HT's

Post by maree on 14th December 2012, 12:06

Silky , i have a standard rose garden bed in the back yard where it is more sheltered and bushs at the front of the house where they cop all the wind . The standard garden i am constantly redesigning , to get it right , so i don't have the bare leg look , i have bordered it with liriope around the edges and cat mint at the front , and bulbs in the winter . I'm going to put in a water feature next year ,to enhance it , even though PJP11 , will have to come out to make way for it , i have planted ground covers around the roses too . Alyssium and small creeping Geraniums , i'm constantly on the look out for new ideas though , lol , nothing stays the same for very long ....
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 14th December 2012, 12:59

Hi,
I have a mix of eight Edelweiss, a pinky-orange zonal pelargonium and Seaside daisies along my vegie garden fence. They look lovely together.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 14th December 2012, 22:19

Thanks Maree and Barbara for sharing. Catmint is an option I'm thinking of too Maree, although my efforts in the past looked scrappy close up so I pulled it out. I need to look at using geraniums and pelargoniums. Barbara your white/pinky orange combo sounds really nice. I planted a lot of lilies this year in some areas of the backyard and they looked really nice pushing through the roses. One spot has a huge self seeded nasturtium which hides the bare legs of the roses, looks lush but bright orange flowers!!
I want to try more DA's but not sure how best to use them among my HT's.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 14th December 2012, 22:50

My cat loves the Catmint Silky , but not keen on the bees , the front of the house garden , the bush roses are just one species mixed in with a whole lot of other plants , they form a border along the front fence line and are mixed in too , in a central garden bed with natives , perennialls and anything and everything , again constantly changing . I like David Austins to be blended in with other plants because of their leggy growth , but i haven't had a whole lot of luck with them except with Jubilee Celebration ...
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 14th December 2012, 23:24

all my rose gardens are border edged all round with mondo grass
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down