by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:09

» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

Roses that stand up to the sun

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Roses that stand up to the sun

Post by AutumnDamask on 13th January 2013, 07:49

This last heatwave I've had a LOT more leaves scorched than even in 2009 when it was a hotter heatwave. ?!?! I dunno. Possible that I hadn't watered enough - but I do know I'm watering more now than I was then.

Bah humbug.

(Not that the roses are the only ones affected of course - have had several natives 4-5yrs old just keel over.)

Of course it started drying out in October and I wasn't on to the watering soon enough because the ground had been oozing for so long I overestimated how long the sub-surface moisture would stick around...

I'll try to pop a couple of pics up later.
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 13th January 2013, 08:22

AutumnDamask , the sunburn on the roses , i mean , is when the stems get burnt and turn black , horrible , had to prune em back , hasn't happened since , but this last heatwave did a lot of damage , as you say , the natives didn't like it , the strawberries , burnt all the leaves , the camellias burnt the new buds and leaves , the perennialls , some of them fried and crisped , lucky i covered the tomatoes with shadecloth i think ... Hope we don't get another 11 year drought ....
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 13th January 2013, 08:34

You know what? My roses look just fine after their trial in the fiery furnace; a few crisped blooms on some (in high wind and 41C heat? Anything but cactus suffers), but others unscathed (I think DayBreaker is actually a teflon imposter), and the leaves on almost all are unblemished. Can't speak for Julia Child/Soul Mate or Day Breaker in the matter oif deep cold hardiness, but all the rest have been through sub zero nights and morning frosts.

I'm not a subscriber to the notion that better roses are those bred especially for Australian conditions, because I'm not sure what other special "Australian conditions" might be thrown at these non-Australian bred roses, These 'furriners' seem to handle our conditions just fine.

The rest of the garden looks like blowtorch city: the tomatoes are so repulsive and shrivelled that I'm tearing them out, the mandevilla laxa is burnt to buggery, and even the boring but indestructible calibrochoa looks tragic. The huge trees are like fortresses, of course, and the nandina I've been trying to eradicate looks just cheerfully grand, thanks for nothing.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 13th January 2013, 09:04

Okay ... here are some blasted roses.

Sun scorch (on leaves) plus damage from Mystery Assailant:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sun scorch on rose hips:

Sun scorch (leaves) plus more damage ( Tantrum )from Mystery Assailant:

Here's an interesting one. Rose at front has a few scorched leaves but is still blooming ok. ('New Duet' - a cutflower variety) and the one in the background is ... possibly not going to make it ('Seduction' .. it's had "issues" the last couple of years)
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose on 13th January 2013, 09:22

the damage on the plant in the third image looks awfully like beetle damage. but some of the damage on the plant in the top photo looks like leaf cutter bee (Megachilid sp.) which are a beneficial insect to have ... gee the roses are getting it tough this year Stunned
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 13th January 2013, 14:24

Wendy, I have not read all the posts from this morning after yours, I will go back now. I understand your watering reasoning back in Oct. My question is how deep would the roots be now.
I agree with Hariet, leaf cutter there, as for the "Mystery Assailant" I wonder if it could be your wild critters from the paddocks.

As for the foliage/growth, if you have the magical thing called water I would give them a solid big drink, it will go down to the lower soils as you understand/know, the roots will follow, it is the same as the Euc's in the paddock, deep roots. These are only my opinions, I have been known to be wrong in the past.

Last edited by roseman on 13th January 2013, 14:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additions after reading entire post)
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5138
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 on 15th January 2013, 11:55

Just to introduce a little southern interstate rivalry -- You can't beat the SA roses in my opinion! LOL And then there is Tasmania in late November - sure gives you hay fever and rose mania at that time of the year. Been to Werribee a couple of times - yes - it is great. Am looking forward to visiting Morwell in late March.

My roses are just fantastic at present. In Toowoomba we have been having lower temps than most other places. 16 overnight and 20 right now at 11.00am. The roses and the humans are pretty happy.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 15th January 2013, 23:02

Bonita

We had rain finally last night. We were blessed with 18mm. Our garden is a bit of a mess wth plants (not roses) dying all over the place and with 38d days we have had the grass that is a crisp brown.

We're hoping for things to change or April is not looking good. We need some good rains soon!

Gary
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 on 15th January 2013, 23:27

I just posted you the programme today so it had better rain. However, we are gardeners not garden inspectors. We are used to disappointment, adversity, joy, surprises all mixed together. We received 30mm a couple of days ago so the John Deere had a rider on it yesterday to cut the green sprouts shooting up out of the dead grass.[i[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=99&u=16115262][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]mg]h[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Spanish Lady is a favourite rose of mine. I do not seem to be able to track down its origin. I purchased it at Trewallyn Nursery, Bundaberg a while ago. My roses are so healthy at present.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum