by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:09

» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

Roses that stand up to the sun

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roses that stand up to the sun

Post by silkyfizz on 29th November 2012, 12:14

Spent a nice afternoon yesterday at the Vic Rose Garden at Werribee and noticed the marked difference in the way some some roses were standing up to the strong sun. Out in the open it seemed to be much hotter than the temp reached and I was interested in the roses that still looked good.
Those of you who live in areas where the temperatures are much higher than here in Melbourne are entitled to have a little chuckle.
Here are some that stood up and said "Look at me!"
Children’s rose
Silver Jubilee
Parole
Old Fragrance
Fragrant Cloud
Avon
Royal Dane
Aspirin - this one was new to me and nearly knocked my socks off. Absolutely smothered with crisp white blooms that literally shone. No fragrance unfortunately.
Most yellows revelled in the sun.
All the DA's looked great but then they were planted quite closely which gave them some protection I think.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Roses that stand up to the sun

Post by maree on 29th November 2012, 12:21

Mmmmnnn Silky , just thinking i better take another trip up there , Ole Fragrance and Childrens Rose , i love , may have to rethink this again ... thanks ....
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th November 2012, 12:26

Here is 'Aspirin' from HMF.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5138
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 29th November 2012, 12:36

OF and CR were amongst the healthiest and most fragrant in the whole place maree. They will be in my garden next year for sure.

Another I forgot to mention was Hot Cocoa which I loved. Heaps of huge florets and a wonderful colour, which would be a good match for Fragrant Cloud (I even colour matched their petals lol). I couldn't detect scent, though its supposed to have moderate fragrance.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 29th November 2012, 13:00

I have had OF and CR and Parole , i redid the garden and those came out , along with Jubilee Celebration , i have vowed to replant OF and Jubilee , and have spots for them now . Olde Fragrance one of my top ten roses Silky , i'm sure you will love it , CR fantastic too . I have looked all over the garden for a spot that FC would suit , colour wise , but have just decided , doesn't matter , i'll just put it where i have a vacant spot and if its clashes too bad lol ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 29th November 2012, 13:34

lol finding the right spot for FC is sending me batty Maree. Will I, won't I, here, there???? and so it goes on. I'm going to look at Gardens in HMF for inspiration, if I see anything I'll give you a heads up.
Parole is another definite for me.
One thing I noticed at Werribee was the poor appearance of the famous smelly reds. All had bs, looked poorly and generally a disappointment. I think I'll stick to Firefighter.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 29th November 2012, 14:17

Silky , that is sooo funny , i have searched colour combinations everything to fit FC in colour wise , and apart from pulling out and replanting roses in colours that will harmonise with it , which i'm not doing , i've come to a dead end , i even asked my artist son what colour , he thought purple or mauve , which is when i googled it ,what they suggested or white to tone it down . Think its just one of those colours that doesn't really go with anything , i'm just going to bung it in , in the available spot lol , glad to see there is someone out there like me lol ha ha ...... You a footy tragic too ? lol
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 29th November 2012, 14:32

Collingwood, yes a footy AND rose tragic. How's that for a wacky combination? Bit like the FC dilemma hahaha.
One possible combination for FC is Warm Wishes, peach with hint of terra cotta cream with Elina to cool it down, with Hot Cocoa in there somewhere. Enough perfume from others to offset HotC"s lack. Maybe...

I must stop.... Brainwash
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 29th November 2012, 14:47

Sounds good Silky , but i don't have any of those lol , I'm a Cats tragic , just paid my membership yesterday , to my mind i like the mauve / purple/ white combo , but thats just me . I think maybe buy one in a pot , flowered and try it around the garden , Bunnings had them from Rankins and i was going to buy one and plonk it around , think i'll go and get one when it cools down if its still there. Maybe we do need treatment lol ha ha ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 29th November 2012, 15:00

Putting one in a pot sounds like a really good idea. Might do the same. I haven't got those others either, apart from Elina, and she's linking yellows with mauve & Munstead colours. See this is what happens - fall in love, murmur sweet nothings, create the surroundings, the"ambience" and be a matchmaker with right roses, colour combinations and then dig like mad.....and viola, new garden bed. And it all starts with just one rose that I must have. Crazy!
Are there therapists for rose disorders? I think I need one lol!
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 29th November 2012, 15:11

lol , ha ha , i've got a smaller block and not much room ,but i keep pulling things out cause i haven't got much room , Roses can't win lol !!!!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 29th November 2012, 15:21

Oh well, whatever our situation, it's the roses that give us so much beauty and joy. It's the footy that adds spice, excitement and a touch of dementia! lol
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy on 29th November 2012, 15:33

I was there last friday guys at the state rose garden in Werribee looks fantastic that place and kept in a lovely way.Always great to get ideas for new roses to from there as they always trial new breeds.

If you got a spare Sunday the Morwell Rose Garden to is fantastic and very nice place to visit to.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 29th November 2012, 16:00

Well put Silky lol Go Cats lol !!!! Danny haven't been to the Morwell rose garden , but going again to Werribee this Sunday lol ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th November 2012, 16:01

You three need to meet up at the Werribee gardens one day and discuss something, maybe roses roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 29th November 2012, 16:05

Hey Roseman , my day off and i should be doing housework , but too hot , would rather laugh at your posts lol lol!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th November 2012, 16:14

Don't waste the day there is always tomorrow for house work, I will go now and take that photo of 'Crepuscule' in our nearly 33c afternoon.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 29th November 2012, 16:19

My outdoor thermometer says 33C. I don't believe it. Feels like 36C out there. Sweating
In the evening I'll do the "Crispy List". LOL
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th November 2012, 16:21

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
As promised here it is.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29th November 2012, 17:58

Wendy only 33C try 46C at 5pm this afternoon in Deniliquin, now 5:58pm and its 42.2C here.

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 29th November 2012, 18:17

Ozroz wrote:Wendy only 33C try 46C at 5pm this afternoon in Deniliquin, now 5:58pm and its 42.2C here.
Which is why I don't live up there. Duh! Slap Wink
I suspect it was more like 36C but 'Wedding Day' is shading the porch (home of the thermometer) so much now.
Excuse me while I make excuses like "I've never been able to work out in the heat since having heat stroke" ... (which is true. But it makes me VERY glad I don't live at Deni! lol )
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 29th November 2012, 18:22

Could never work out why Victorian's took their "footy" so seriously.

Obviously its the sun and the heat.

Our place probably just broke 30 degrees today. Balmy 28 degrees near the beach And the papers are sying its a heatwave!!!!!!
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 29th November 2012, 18:24

Ozroz wrote:Wendy only 33C try 46C at 5pm this afternoon in Deniliquin, now 5:58pm and its 42.2C here.

46 degrees and not even the start of summer - Bloody freezing in the middle of winter - I do wonder why people put up with it sometimes.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 29th November 2012, 19:28

Girls, girls, girls! Stop dithering like Double Bay decorators! Fragrant Cloud lurvs living in a pot!!! Yes, it really does!

I think I just used up my exclamation point quota for 2013. I proceed with sensible punctuation.

By all means give FC a temp home in a container approx 16-18" (je ne parle pas metrique). Then you can drag it around for a while until you find the right colour combo spot. If nothing speaks immediately to you in colourways, just leave it in its pot until your garden muse supplies inspiration.

FC also loves going for a ride. The bumping around makes it grow ever so much better. (actually, I find that to be true of a lot of roses)
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 29th November 2012, 19:36

In heatwave news: we didn't have anything over 30 today, and all the roses seemed okay, esp the heavily blooming ones - Valencia, Baronne Edmond, Parole, Perfume Passion.

Two days ago, though we did hit 38, and a fully opened Parole went crispy black around the edges. Really did look like a blowtorch had hit it. I expect any perfumed and oil-exuding rose will fry like an egg in butter under those conditions.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum