Latest topics
» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 14th August 2017, 16:46

» pruning dilemma
by silkyfizz 5th August 2017, 19:46

» Hands on Bud Grafting Workshop.
by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd August 2017, 06:10

» rose for sale
by The Lazy Rosarian 31st July 2017, 06:19

» roses in pots
by carmel 30th July 2017, 09:17

» Hi, I am new here :)
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:09

» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

» Potted Roses
by Rosenda001 19th July 2017, 21:52


To Potash or not to Potash

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To Potash or not to Potash

Post by paulh on 13th October 2012, 22:47

I was just wondering how many people use Pot Ash...if so what ratios do you use for roses in the garden and roses in pots and how often...
avatar
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Location : Perth Western Australia
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by Guest on 14th October 2012, 07:36

Paul usually you do not have to add it, because most fertilizer blends have it in. Are you in the Perth sand hill as well?.

Do you feel that you have an deffiency in Potasium. If I was living in those Perth Sandhills my fertilizer application would be every 3mths to compensate for loss of nutrient leached out of the sandy soil.

They say potassium applied gives greater blooming and drought tolerance, but that is only what I have read.


warren

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by Balinbear on 14th October 2012, 08:27

Older gardeners believe that patasium sulphate (potash) helps flowering and the health of the plant. I think the newer blends of fertiliser has it in them whereas the older types of fertilisers were mor nitrogen based.
avatar
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1446
Age : 62
Location : Sunshine Coast Queensland
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by betsyw on 14th October 2012, 11:27

Paul, I can't speak to garden soil issues, but for pottingHTs/floris in containers, I've found a definite benefit in adding a cup or more of blood-bone/potash mixed together in the Yates recommended 10:1 ratio. I'm not religious about ratios, so it becomes two handfuls and a palmful for a 20" pot.

Thereafter, I sprinkle a bit of potash on the surface every six=seven weeks. Roses without the mix seem to be slower and thinner (comparing two roses of same variety of course).

I only have -30 roses to care for in pots, so it's not a big deal in time or money.

This year I started adding supplemental potaah to other plants, too, and I can see a stronger, greener result than last year. Bougainvilleas, of course, are voracious K eaters: eat potash for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But the mandevilleas seem to like it too, ditto a cestrum nocturnam, and white butterfly ginger and assorted others.

Edit: Oh, and tomatoes too love K.
avatar
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Location : Lower Hunter
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by neptune on 14th October 2012, 13:11

Hi Paul, at certain times of the year , I am a heavy potash user, simply because I grow show roses. I use an old scoop that you get out of the laundry powder box and each bush got one scoop per week for six weeks and then stop two weeks before a show. Must water in well. I use the powder type from Brunnings
avatar
neptune

Number of posts : 2408
Location : Western Australia
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by Jac2 on 14th October 2012, 21:54

Hey, Paul, Iíve not been quite as liberal with my potash, just started to use it this year and wanted to test carefully; worked out the directions on the Brunnings powder, i.e., dissolve 20g in 8L, amount to 1 tablespoon in 8L to cover 1m2 (thereís no measuring spoon supplied). Iíve been giving one cup of the solution to average sized pots and two to large pots and roses in the ground when I see new buds forming, i.e., before flowering as per directions. As said, just testing carefully at this stage, using smaller amounts more regularly.
avatar
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Location : Brisbane
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by paulh on 15th October 2012, 00:38

betsyw wrote:Paul, I can't speak to garden soil issues, but for pottingHTs/floris in containers, I've found a definite benefit in adding a cup or more of blood-bone/potash mixed together in the Yates recommended 10:1 ratio. I'm not religious about ratios, so it becomes two handfuls and a palmful for a 20" pot.

Thereafter, I sprinkle a bit of potash on the surface every six=seven weeks. Roses without the mix seem to be slower and thinner (comparing two roses of same variety of course).

I only have -30 roses to care for in pots, so it's not a big deal in time or money.

This year I started adding supplemental potaah to other plants, too, and I can see a stronger, greener result than last year. Bougainvilleas, of course, are voracious K eaters: eat potash for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But the mandevilleas seem to like it too, ditto a cestrum nocturnam, and white butterfly ginger and assorted others.

Edit: Oh, and tomatoes too love K.
Smile
betsyw.. when you say a cup of blood and bone and potash.. do you mean one cup in total or two cups... to 10 cups or 10 litres of water...also how frequently do you apply it?
avatar
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Location : Perth Western Australia
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by paulh on 15th October 2012, 00:41

Ozroz wrote:Paul usually you do not have to add it, because most fertilizer blends have it in. Are you in the Perth sand hill as well?.

Do you feel that you have an deffiency in Potasium. If I was living in those Perth Sandhills my fertilizer application would be every 3mths to compensate for loss of nutrient leached out of the sandy soil.

They say potassium applied gives greater blooming and drought tolerance, but that is only what I have read.


warren

I'm not sure ozroz...I am in perth... but i have a lot in pots and the soil in my garden has been replaced with a garden mix.
avatar
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Location : Perth Western Australia
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by paulh on 15th October 2012, 00:43

Jac2 wrote:Hey, Paul, Iíve not been quite as liberal with my potash, just started to use it this year and wanted to test carefully; worked out the directions on the Brunnings powder, i.e., dissolve 20g in 8L, amount to 1 tablespoon in 8L to cover 1m2 (thereís no measuring spoon supplied). Iíve been giving one cup of the solution to average sized pots and two to large pots and roses in the ground when I see new buds forming, i.e., before flowering as per directions. As said, just testing carefully at this stage, using smaller amounts more regularly.

It will be interesting to see what you think after a while jac2
avatar
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Location : Perth Western Australia
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by betsyw on 15th October 2012, 07:02

Paul, I mix two handfuls ofBB into about 25L of potting mix along with the potash, to start odf. Therefter, I add some BB (a handful diluted into 8-9L of water) every 9 weeks or so, maybe 2-3 times in the growing season. May be a waste of BB, but the plants seem to like it, at least nothing drops dead. A sprinkling of potash more regularly, after each bloom cycle.

I udnerstand that potash can inhibit the uptake of magnesium , so I also give the roses a dose of epsom salts once a season. They seem to like that too, for greening.

Possibly the whole exercise could be taken care off simply by using Yates's Nitrosol, which seems to balance a lot of ingredients more scientifically than my haphazard methods.
avatar
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Location : Lower Hunter
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by Jac2 on 15th October 2012, 19:23

Paul, the thing is, I have no baseline, i.e., only started my garden this June and wouldnít be able to report any difference. Potash was just a tip I was happy to pick up from the experts Ė stronger stems and bigger, brighter blooms sounded good; didnít necessarily think my soil was wanting.
avatar
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Location : Brisbane
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by paulh on 15th October 2012, 23:35

betsyw wrote:Paul, I mix two handfuls ofBB into about 25L of potting mix along with the potash, to start odf. Therefter, I add some BB (a handful diluted into 8-9L of water) every 9 weeks or so, maybe 2-3 times in the growing season. May be a waste of BB, but the plants seem to like it, at least nothing drops dead. A sprinkling of potash more regularly, after each bloom cycle.

I udnerstand that potash can inhibit the uptake of magnesium , so I also give the roses a dose of epsom salts once a season. They seem to like that too, for greening.

Possibly the whole exercise could be taken care off simply by using Yates's Nitrosol, which seems to balance a lot of ingredients more scientifically than my haphazard methods.

cool betsyw, thanks for that, just one more thing, what ratio to water do use with the epsom salts and how many handfulls of potash to water Smile
avatar
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Location : Perth Western Australia
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by betsyw on 16th October 2012, 00:16

Paul, I normally will just sprinkle a few pinches of potash around each rose, then scratch, then water, With epsom salts, I throw about a third of a cup into about 5l of water ( half a watering can for me).

Some people use the salts several times a year, but I get a bit timid because it will raise the acidity of the soil if regularly applied. I usually use the salts just after mid-season, or when the leaves look a bit colour-drained.
avatar
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Location : Lower Hunter
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by paulh on 16th October 2012, 01:40

betsyw wrote:Paul, I normally will just sprinkle a few pinches of potash around each rose, then scratch, then water, With epsom salts, I throw about a third of a cup into about 5l of water ( half a watering can for me).

Some people use the salts several times a year, but I get a bit timid because it will raise the acidity of the soil if regularly applied. I usually use the salts just after mid-season, or when the leaves look a bit colour-drained.

cool betsyw thanks for that
avatar
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Location : Perth Western Australia
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by betsyw on 16th October 2012, 22:00

Hey Paul, I am no evangelist for my system, which isn't really much of a system, come to think of it. You'll find more closely reasoned formulae and fertiliser routines elsewhere on the site.

Potash is sorta the New Black in my feeding fashions. Cool
avatar
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Location : Lower Hunter
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: To Potash or not to Potash

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum