» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

» Potted Roses
by Rosenda001 19th July 2017, 21:52

Crosses so far this year...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crosses so far this year...

Post by Admin on 19th January 2009, 22:30

I haven't done a huge number of crosses this year because I am till trying to acquire the breeding stock I want. Crosses done so far have mostly concentrated around miniatures and the hybrid rugosa 'Scabrosa':

'Scabrosa' x 'Black Jade' (goal: mini rugosa)
'Scabrosa x 'Gold Coin' (goal: mini rugosa)
'Black Jade' x 'Othello' (Goal: mini DA. Really hope this one takes... so far so good *taps head*)
'Antique Rose' x 'Altissimo' (going for a mini climber).
'Scabrosa' x 'Peace' (trying for yellow or yellow blend rugosa shrubs).
'Scabrosa' x 'unknown yellow HT) (again trying for yellow rugosa shrubs).
Unknown single pink with white centre (could be a multiflora hybrid, or a hybrid musk of some kind) x 'Black Jade' (Goal: trying for miniature single pink and white flowers).
'Flower carpet red' x 'Maurice Utrillo' (wonder if I can introduce stripes into wichuraiana???)
'Iceberg' x 'Pierre de Ronsard' (just stuffing around really... no real purpose... just feeling whimsical...)
'Gold Coin' x 'Pierre de Ronsard' (didn't take. Hip turned black and dropped. Goal was a climbing very double mini).
"Have lots of OP multiflora hips developing too that will be used as rootstocks.

Not expecting much from any of these crosses. I see them as step one in developing some better breeding lines.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Crosses so far this year...

Post by Admin on 21st January 2009, 20:00

Added a few more today...

Red Cascade x The Children's Rose (Goal: mini climber with scent and HT form and the health of 'Red Cascade' which comes from wichuraiana in the trademark Ralph Moore cross of R. wichuraiana x Floridora).

Nozomi x The Children's Rose (as above but with the health and disease resistance of Nozomi which possibly comes from the China in the background... ground cover rose hopefully that likes the heat... Nozomi has some micro-minis in the background (Rouletti) so could get some pretty small seedlings if it takes).

Green Ice x pink multiflora hybrid (Hoping to try and get Green Ice into something else to see if it will take species pollen given it is fairly close to wichuraiana (F2) itself and it is reportedly infertile (mostly... Kindred Ice show's it isn't completely infertile and Kindred Ice has set an OP hip this year. Would be good to have another Green Ice seedling that might have at least some fertility).

Magic Carrousel x Pink Multiflora hybrib (would like a single pink with a white centre miniature (climber or bush... not fussed yet.... ultimately in a few crosses time a miniature like Baby Ballerina).

Black Jade x Burgundy Iceberg (not sure what I'm hoping for with this... guess to see whether the burgundy in the burgundy sport is inheritable yet after so many sports from the original white iceberg... could maybe produce some purple minis)

Experiment: iceberg x burgundy iceberg (along the lines of the above cross... interested to see how it breeds now... iceberg sported to give the misty pink iceberg which sported to give the brilliant pink iceberg which sported to give the burgundy iceberg. Sports are often not inheritable but over time may be. So Burgundy Iceberg may breed like a white or may breed like a burgundy... will be interesting to see if it takes).

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 6th February 2009, 20:53

Really very excited now and can't wait till next spring!!! Confirmed takes include:

'Scabrosa' x 'Black Jade'. I am REALLY excited about this one. I am hoping for miniature rugosa from this cross and the start of a line of mini rugosa. It will most likely be triploid so will probably only have a use later on as a pollen parent. These 'Scabrosa' hips are MASSIVE... like a small tomato!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

'Scabrosa' x 'Gold Coin'. Equally excited about this because not only could I get miniature rugosa but they could be yellow/orange!!! A rare colour in rugosa.

'Scabrosa' x 'Peace': I am hoping for double yellow/pink blend rugosa type shrub roses from this cross. Hopefully this will be fertile as well to start yellow blend rugosa shrub lines.

There are other confirmed takes but these are the ones I am most excited about.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 7th February 2009, 22:40

Simon, I am keen too to see what you get from these hybred Rugosa/Minature hips.
My hips are fertilised by Fourtune's Double Yellow. I thought it might be good to get some other climbers like FDY with different coloured blooms but with the multitude of blooms that it has.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 7th February 2009, 22:49

It would be good to try and breed remontancy into something like FDY so you get that kind of display all year long. The thing about breeding remontancy into these kinds of climbers though is it usually results in a reduction in size and vigour too.

Your cuttings arrived yesterday and I planted them in sand in a 90L clear plastic tub. They only JUST fit Shocked Not sure what I'm going to do with them all if they all take but will cross that bridge when/if I get to it Rolling Eyes The ones that arrived as single stems I cut the buds off and budded onto the multiflora bushes. I was hoping yours might have got to you yesterday too... if not Monday for sure so keep and eye out for them if it's going to be stinking hot Thumbsup I've left leaves on them all and prepared the cuttings so all you need to do is plant them. What out for the spines on Henri Martin and Leda... they are fierce!

Thanks again for your generosity. I hope yours do well for you as well. I'll get those rooted cuttings out to you this coming week.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum