» Garden or Exhibition roses?
by Ozeboy 6th May 2017, 09:28

» Potted Roses
by KokoSam 23rd April 2017, 13:25

Spacing of roses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spacing of roses

Post by maree on 29th September 2012, 13:23

Just thought i would bring up the spacing of roses , i always thought it was about 1 metre for hybrid tea bush and standards , but i was reading standards should be 1.5 metres , i have my standards placed at 1 metre apart . Does it make a difference , does any one know , Thanks
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Spacing of roses

Post by silkyfizz on 29th September 2012, 13:50

Can't comment on standards, as I don't have any, but I've always planted my roses about 1m apart, sometimes a bit closer when pressed for room, and that seems about right mostly. Only my crepescule has needed more, she's such an exuberant rose.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1617
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 29th September 2012, 14:53

Feed 'em, weed 'em, and water 'em. Stick to that and you'll be fine.
That's my policy and I'm sticking to it.
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1358
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 29th September 2012, 20:39

I plant mine 800mm apart because that is the only way to get them in......but I got told by an outside rose farmer that they plant them 150-200mm apart which forces the plant to push towards the sun and produces long stem roses...
neptune

Number of posts : 2406
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 29th September 2012, 21:00

Hmmmm

This place is so enabling. LOL

Started weeding a garden bed today and decided there is definitely enough room for 2 more roses. Going on the suggestions above though I should be able to get at least another 20....
roflmao
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 30th September 2012, 05:29

If you make the garden edges further from the centre of the bed, how many could you get in then Wendy. roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5100
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 30th September 2012, 07:32

AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 30th September 2012, 08:37

Laughing Seems like 1 metre is fine Very Happy
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 30th September 2012, 12:06

Just a quick question. Would planting closer together encourage BS etc as there would be less air circulation?
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1617
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 30th September 2012, 12:14

Potentially? Local climate is probably the biggest influence though. I've got roses out alone in places and they still get BS so ... Dunno
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 30th September 2012, 19:36

The roses in my standard rose garden seem to get more aphids than the roses at the front of the house which are spaced with lavenders between them , the lavenders are a trial this year , i had roses in those spots , but they were old , so i pulled em out and went rose , lavender ,rose etc across the front boundary. will be interesting to see if disease is any less this year , but i agree AutumnDamask local climate is a big factor ...... Idea
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 2nd October 2012, 08:11

I planted my roses 1.5 to 2 m apart, based on experience gained in a previous garden in Brisbane, where most roses very easily and quickly doubled their purported dimensions; and Iím so glad I did this, because its happening again. E.g. my Gertrude Jekyll already reached over 1.6 m h. and 2m w. from being planted bare-rooted only four months ago, and Golden Celebration and Heritage are not too far behind. But itís not only the DAs that grow extra vigorously in our sub-tropical climate.
I want many roses, but most of all I want healthy roses that reach their full potential and believe the amount of space I give them, only next to the soil is the biggest factor in achieving this. I do not have any standards, but would think even more space would really highlight their unique qualities.
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy on 2nd October 2012, 16:11

Sometimed it maked me wonder we all pay so much attention to planting roses apart,and then you go to all those wonderfull rose public gardens and there so close apart and a excellent and so healthy.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 2nd October 2012, 17:16

but also those roses are out in the open and have full ventilation and probably have a hell of lot of sun......where conditions in surburbia are a lot different
neptune

Number of posts : 2406
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 2nd October 2012, 22:00

Jac

You will need to prune the DAs every month up here or they will be all stems with leaves and flowers on the ends.

The speed at with your GJ has grown is pretty common up our way with a lot of the DAs (especially the earlier ones).
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 3rd October 2012, 07:46

Gary, the DAís mentioned above, as well as Pat and Clair Austin in my garden all follow a similar growth pattern: In the first round, they produce rather long canes that travel close to the ground and the flowers hang rather low, especially as they put on substance. In the second round, new vertical shoots appear along these horizontal canes, producing a fountain effect; and in the third round, new strong, stiff basal shoots, that grow nearly as high as the first round canes are wide, appear from the center. Overall, this results in a perfectly balanced semi-sphere effect with a 2 Ė 4 m diameter, depending on the rose.
Iíd imagine, if I was bothered by the ďoctopusĒ canes as many gardeners have referred to the first round canes and pruned them off early, Iíd never known what these roses were supposed to look like. But fortunately, Iíve been reading up on their care on the David Austin Home-page, where DA himself states he only dead-heads for the first couple of years to let his roses grow and develop naturally, which means that Iím now not left with all stems with leaves and flowers on the ends, i.e., only the third round canes.
I will post photos of the whole plants when they are fully developed and in bloom, but can already say that their fragrance is unique and exceptional, the colours are soft and blend easily, the plants are vigorous and healthy in our subtropical climate, and the bees positively adore the large and wonderfully full blooms as much as I do.

Last edited by Jac2 on 4th October 2012, 22:01; edited 1 time in total
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 3rd October 2012, 22:17

Jac
You are obviously having better luck with DAs than we ever have.

We went to a garden at Cooroy (abt 40km north of here) the other day and the owner grows nice DAs. None of which are like what you described though I think his are the more recent varieties which I understand are not such rampant growers.

They all looked great though he did say that he sprays them a bit to keep on top of the BS . I know the ones we have had (and initially are garden had a few) have all been prone to it. He does a lot of watering and feeding but you are right the flowers are magnificent and the purfume is to die for.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 3rd October 2012, 23:31

Gary, I nearly posted some pictures with my earlier comments to show their growth (with my rake for scale), but it was a bit windy and they didnít appear as perfectly balanced as they normally would. Also, I think it better to wait, as theyíve only been in the ground for four months.
It makes sense that the long straight center canes should have only a couple of blooms on top Ė I can see that. If I wanted to have more blooms, Iíd peg them; theyíre certainly long enough. For the moment, I like the way theyíre growing as whole bushes and rather like the idea of letting them develop naturally.

Iíve stopped spraying my bicarb solution to prevent black-spot on all my roses, DAs included, when I got my worm farm and started to foliar feed three, four weeks ago. Everythingís clean and Iím really happy with the results so far, but understand it takes about five weeks for the blackspot to show after invading the leaves; so thereís a bit to go.
Not all my DAs follow GJís, PAís, CAís and GCís growth pattern I described, e.g., Tamora, Othello, Jude the Obscure, Munstead Wood and the Squire grow differently, but theyíre all healthy. The only thing thatís a bit of a problem here are the white moth caterpillars that punch tiny holes into the leaves and buds; but Iíve decided to bite the bullet here, too, and will share my roses with the birds and they positively love them.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 4th October 2012, 16:14

Jac, glad to hear the worm juice is good , its on my list of things i have to do , do you have a compost bin too or just the worm farm ?
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 4th October 2012, 21:49

Maree, Iíve had a compost bin for years and will definitely keep it. Thereíre a few things the worms donít like (thereís a booklet about it in the farm when you buy one) and my bin will always be of good use to me. I didnít get the worms specifically to dispose of my kitchen waste, but to produce what I understood was the best foliar spray for my roses.
A bit expensive to start with, but considering the cost of other foliar sprays on the market, the farm will pay for itself and Iíll be ahead in no time. When you look around to get an idea of their cost, keep in mind the worms are extra. Thereíre a couple of different models and most of them have two trays, i.e., when the worms start to multiply, I can put a second storey on and double their output.
At the moment I get 7L of tea per week, and thatís enough to drench all my about 40 young roses. I spray on Wednesdays, because W = worms.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 4th October 2012, 23:27

Do you drench the soil and spray the leaves every week Jac ? Will be interested to see if you have less black spot with your worm juice Jac ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 5th October 2012, 00:12

Yes, I do that every week at the moment. Itís really not much work at all, pretty straightforward. Itís probably not necessary to foliar feed that often, but the instructions say to flush the farm once a week; so I put it straight into my 7L spray pump and onto the leaves.
I failed to mention, stock up on some fine sieves when you get your farm. The only fault I can find with the set up is some worms fall thorough the holes and end up in the tray (not many, but a couple is still too many). Thereís an elevation in the centre of the basin that allows them to crawl back up into their tray, but Iím a bit skeptical about their ability to manage that.
Also, tiny baby worms will flush through with the water and drown, if you donít catch them; and I will line the sieve with a hanky, because they get lodged and canít be splashed out (kitchen paper doesnít work; takes ages for the water to drain through). I cut the bottom off a plastic soft-drink bottle to turn it into a funnel and folded a knee-high stocking over the edges to have a finer filter for the tea before it goes into my spray pump, because there are still some fibers from the bedding in the tea at that stage.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 5th October 2012, 23:14

a metre for me
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down