Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

What can we talk about now

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What can we talk about now

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 18th August 2012, 16:59

I can't think of a thing to talk about, can anyone else. Some of our newer members that have logged in and not posted might, help mewer members for some subjects to talk about.
Regards Roseman
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Re: What can we talk about now

Post by Guest on 18th August 2012, 18:26

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 18th August 2012, 19:35

are we feeling a bit hungry there......but it does look nice
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 18th August 2012, 19:42

Goat , yuk , oh c'mon guys , thats disgusting , how about stir fried vegies and tofu !!!
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 18th August 2012, 21:16

Were getting a bit desperate here. There's nothing wrong with a young to middle aged goat hanging in the gauze clad meat house, just forget the right name. I have had several meals from goats, young veal and lamb property killed. When a visitor was coming for lunch on Sunday we would kill a rooster in the morning. No refrigeration or power just a meat safe for keeping meat over night.
The main meal for working farmers was bread and trekle or Golden Syrup. Dress never varied much just a pair of grey or fawn work pants and a grey flannel shirt. Oh! forgot the braces and belt with a pocket knife pouch and heavy work boots. The folding Rogers knife was used for everything from wethering sheep to picking teeth. I have met some great characters in my early years. The work gun was a 22 pea rifle ready in the corner of the back door, used by everyone from the 8 year old to grandmother. Every now and again while having dinner a shot would be heard and everyone knew it was just one of the local lads on our dam shooting a duck for dinner.. How the people have changed.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 18th August 2012, 22:08

Ozeboy , my sister married a farmer , they would carve the farm animals on the kitchen table after they had been killed , makes me glad i'm vegetarian , but yes times have changed . My sister cooked many a meal for shearers , and i found the shearing shed to be fascinating ....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 19th August 2012, 09:39

Maree, I have a friend in Glenorie who buys 2 lambs on the hoof from a farmer friend regularly. When back from his country gaunt he would cut up the skinned and gutted sheep in his kitchen. His house looks like a temple with 20' colums supporting a front awning to drive under.
His kitchen is Tassie Oak from top of marbled benches to the 10' ceiling.
There is a matching serving bench with granite top covered with a scrubbed piece of 19mm plywood on top. This is where the lambs are cut up, got the picture. Everything is removed, scrubbed down and put away for the next use. I eat very little meat myself these days.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 19th August 2012, 09:53

Sounds like a great kitchen Ozeboy, Tassie oak and granite , wouldn't i love a kitchen like that , minus the sheppies of course lol . Coming from the city i think i'm lucky to have seen a bit of farm life when i visit my sister on her farm , which is a big grain farm in country Vic , not so many cows and sheep now . They love the life , full of its highs and lows .....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 19th August 2012, 10:03

Well that's probably enough of the good old times?

A subject concerning roses is the interesting but horrific times during the French Revolution. The rose 'Mademoiselle de Sombreuil' was found as a seedling under a Gigantesque rose by Monsieur Robert of Biarritz France. He was so taken with her devotion to save her father from the guillotine he named this exquisite white blooming seedling after her.
Since then the rose sold under that name may well be incorrect and another rose 'Carlsrhue Maria Bruhn' has been put forward as the correct rose. There is so much history associated with old Heritage Roses. I can see the passion collectors have for these old timers.

Last year there were quite a few requests for this rose so have propagated quite a few for anyone interested. They would be available one year two years from now. I have seen a mature plant of CMB in a pot around 6' tall with very healthy leaves and nice white blooms.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 19th August 2012, 13:12

I say you can never have enough white; do you have many other OGRs and specifically Tuscany Superb?
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 20th August 2012, 06:17

I thought this thread might encourage the newer, non-posting members to say something, I was wrong.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 20th August 2012, 08:10

You can't be knocked for putting it out there Dave......BZ
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 20th August 2012, 18:45

I think it went on deaf ears to the non posters John, thinking scratch more thoughts on it, any thoughts from posting members are welcome
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh on 22nd August 2012, 22:12

I have a question Smile

Aphids and other bugs. I am sure this has been asked many times, but I have an infestation here in QLD. What do people find is best to use in humid conditions, and how often should the roses be sprayed etc? I have so many that I am finding it SO difficult to get rid of these critters.

And weirdly, this year, my bare rooted roses in pots are growing much better than the ones in the garden. Is there a reason for this? Besides soil?

Thanks Very Happy
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 22nd August 2012, 22:43

Quickest and cheapest way to start with , is to hit them with a jet of water....that will clear all your bushes of them straight away......check in two days time for the returners, and you will have them......second cheapest that you can use as a follow up is use soapy water in a sprayer(pumped or motorised)........by this time some will see the light and move on, but in 3-4 days after the soapy spray , the die hards will be looking for a cheap meal, so make the suckers regret their decision and hit them with "malathon"....you should be able to control them after that quiet easily
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh on 23rd August 2012, 08:28

Thanke Neptune, the water never seems to work with some of the other bugs. Some are white, some are green and some are brown.

Have tried all that and they are never gone for more than a week. I have tried a solution that is supposed to seep into the plant system to kill them continuously (yesterday) I wonder how often I need to do this or if it has worked for anyone else. It's driving me crazy!
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 23rd August 2012, 09:35

I,ve never had to deal with plagues of aphids , so my thoughts are general for the smaller invasion of these critters. You could try those Confidor pills(Bunnings) which are placed into the ground and the plants draw up the chemicals into there canes
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh on 23rd August 2012, 09:58

Oh I saw those, they were a bit expensive, but I guess in the long run they would be worth it. I wonder if anyone has had any luck with them. I have about 60 roses so it might cost a bit :/
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 23rd August 2012, 12:24

I agree with you on the pricing of those pills and probably why I decided to persist with the spraying
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh on 23rd August 2012, 12:46

How often do you spray?
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 23rd August 2012, 13:00

after the first spray, I wait a couple of days , then spray again. That should knock them flat. Then I wait about a week and check the bushes again, and then spot spray where I see them
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh on 23rd August 2012, 14:12

Thank you Smile Hoping the new spray I just used will give me a couple of weeks at least. If not, I am not trying those tablets (same sort of thing)
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 23rd August 2012, 14:35

RosyTeesh, with 60 roses infested, youíll probably shake your head at my way of dealing with aphids: I squash them, that way Iím sure theyíre gone for good after the first time of dealing with them. But I only ever had one or two roses affected, so it didnít take very long.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh on 23rd August 2012, 14:42

I do that too hahahahaha! Well with my potted ones anyway.

Also I want to ask you all how your roses do in pots? Mine are absolutely thriving! About 3 times more than the garden ones that are in premium soil!
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 23rd August 2012, 16:16

My potted roses seem to do just as well as those in the ground. They all have their own habits of course, with some having taken off and producing leaves immediately, but then slowing down and not showing any buds, but the slower once to take, once taken, producing many buds quickly after that, etc.
My first rose to bloom, Tamora, is in a pot and the second, Gertrude Jekyll, is in the ground and my roses in bloom at the moment donít show a preference for either.
I think itís the roseís habit, rather than how itís planted that determines how fast it develops. Although Iíd imagine over time, roses in the ground will do better overall, because they can develop a better root system, specifically deeper roots that will anchor them to help reach their full potential. Also, in pots, roses are more dependent on an ongoing supply of added nutrients or boosters of some sort.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum