by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Just 2 more

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Just 2 more

Post by betsyw on 4th August 2012, 09:18

Roses are an addiction. And that addiction blinds me . I want and need other plants so much more, but this rose thing is like crack.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 4th August 2012, 10:20

betsyw, I've never tried crack but fully aware of the dependency.
I don't frequent nurseries or read colourful PBR Brochires anymore.
However my addiction is collecting old long forgotten roses and driving myself mad until I have sets and all the roses bred by a particular breeder. I've been looking for 'Laurent Carle Clg' and 'Star Scent' for the past 5 years and recently found both growing within an hours drive from home. Persistence is a requirement of all rose collecters.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 4th August 2012, 10:38

Ozboy, I am so very admiring of your path, although I am far removed from it, and its.objectives Smile
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 4th August 2012, 17:41

Good on you Ozeboy , i'm guessing without people like you these roses you collect would become extinct , and what is life without a passion .

Last edited by maree on 4th August 2012, 23:19; edited 1 time in total
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 4th August 2012, 17:51

Danny , i just thought , if you have roses in your vegie patch , be careful with any chemical rose sprays if you have vegies there too , just a thought .....
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 4th August 2012, 19:38

Silkyfizz, Iíve been using a bicarb solution since the first leaves started to show, not long, since June this year. I believe it has been effective in preventing blackspot so far, because the blackspot is very prevalent in QLD generally, and specifically in my neighborhood: neighbors two houses away grow lots of lovely varieties, neatly pruned and well mulched, etc., and all very spotted, and their lawn edges look a lot neater than mine. So I donít think the blackspot there is due to negligence.
I donít know a lot about bs, only the basics you read in textbooks, but from what I understand, prevention is the key. I decided to test a detergent/oil/bicarb solution, because it made sense to me. I do not use any fancy bio-oil, just plain old oil from my pantry; all the ingredients come straight from my kitchen. I have not noticed any offensive residue on the leaves after spraying, and my roses look healthy. Only when it rains I notice milky drops collecting on the leaves; I just rinse them off.
I have decided to stick with this cheap alternative until I find it is not effective. If you ever come across any agent that will kill the blackspot once it is established in the leave, please let me know.
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 4th August 2012, 20:48

Yes Jackie that's the mixture I'm thinking of. I'm so glad you have found it effective so far, because I'm really trying to avoid chemicals if I can. Please let me know how it goes as the season progresses.
There are various ratios - which do you use?
1. From factsheet Gardening Aust:
Two teaspoons of bicarb soda in 5 litres of water, add a couple of drops of detergent or a couple of drops of seaweed extract.

2. Two teaspoons of bicarb soda per 1 litre of water, a drop of vegetable oil, (helps to fix the spray to the leaf when it's dried), a drop of detergent (helps to spread the mix over the leaf). Apparently The Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney found this to be effective on powdery mildew, rust and black spot.

Also feeding sulphate of potash (about 100 to 150 grams per bush) about four times a year, is reputed to help prevent BS. Can anyone tell me if sulphate of potash is an organic material or is it classified as a chemical?

Of course Betsy cacked herself laughing, been there, done that, doesn't work. But she mentioned milk mixture, so maybe this could be a goer? I'm just going to use a small handsprayer so it can be easy and quick and use it with my fingers crossed.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 4th August 2012, 22:48

Silkyfizz, youíve got some good references there that I copied right away, and have done a better job than I with noting where they came from.

Iíve been using:
In one gallon of water, mix

1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon oil
1 or 2 drops dishwashing liquid

1 gallon = 3.7854118 L, but Iíve also seen this formula published with 4.5L; I use the first (i.e., 3.8L).

I mix the detergent and oil first (turns into a mayonnaise-like substance), because otherwise the oil will not mix with the water, then the water and the bicarb last.
I always make sure that my spray bottle is completely empty, before I mix a new batch. I.e., if I have leftovers, I tip them into another jar and add later, otherwise the solution will become more and more concentrated.

Sulphate of potash is an inorganic salt that is produced from naturally occurring minerals. It has been around forever and is quite safe to use as a fertilizer in the garden. (Inorganic in chemistry means that a substance does not contain certain elements that are usually present in living cells, e.g., rocks)

The 50:50 milk and water solution is a different one to prevent mildew and blackspot, which I have not tried.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 4th August 2012, 23:51

Thanks for the tip about mixing detergent and oil before adding water Jackie. That makes sense. I'll be trying the second one I think but not just yet. Who am I to argue with RBG Sydney?
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 5th August 2012, 00:07

Welcome
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 5th August 2012, 06:13

1 gallon = 3.7854118 L, but Iíve also seen this formula published with 4.5L; I use the first (i.e., 3.8L).
Jackie, the gallon part =3.7 is the American measure
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 5th August 2012, 18:54

Yes, I used a metric unit web converter to get the L. When I first came across The Cornell Formula and found there were many alternatives, I made an effort to find the original, which is American.
I think the formula originated with ordinary oil, and the bio-oil was an afterthought when some people didnít find it effective; but Iím not sure how it all went down. The controversy about the type of oil to be used is ongoing. I took the bicarb soda to be the active ingredient, making the environment unpleasant for the bs spores, and the oil merely as an agent to spread it evenly and stick it to the leaves, so I didnít care for any fancy bio-varieties. But if you would suggest it was a better option, Iíd go for that.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum