by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Just 2 more

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just 2 more

Post by silkyfizz on 2nd August 2012, 17:35

Well, it's happened again. You know when you just have to pop into your local nursery for a couple of things? I needed more manure and lucerne and came out with 3 roses! Graham Thomas I had already planned but I also snaffled Charles de Gaulle and Elina. I've popped them in already and they are just looking so happy in their new home. I'm a lot happier with the transition of the colours now. How have you found these last two? Any good news (or bad but I hope not) on these?
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Just 2 more

Post by maree on 2nd August 2012, 22:42

silkyfizz , i did have Charles de Gaulle , beautiful colour and fragrance , probably a bit slow on repeat flowering , but who knows , yours could be brilliant ...
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy on 3rd August 2012, 03:24

I have been getting a few bargains last 2 weeks as the barerooted season comes to the end from my local Master Builders.I got Perfume Delight,Elina and JF Kennedy $2.00 each lol.I then got Mr Lincoln ,Oaklahoma,Bridal Pink,Childrens rose,Charles de Gaulle and Jacaranda all $4.00 each.I also got Peter Brock for $6.49 reduced from $29.99 lol.All Healthy plants from Knights roses who's roses seem all very good quality.

Really like Charles de Gaulle to silkyfizz.Colour looks fantastic let you know how I go.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 3rd August 2012, 04:37

FWIW, danny and silkyfizz , Charles de Gaulle was one of my best cultivars ever (from its second year forward) for flower production, wafting fragrance and rebloom. Two bushes filled vases by themselves, and they kept blooming when other varieties had finished for the season. My only negative box-tick was the grey-ish colour, so if you're good to go with that shade, then I think you will really like this one. No spray, okay! If you've scored some decent plants, then you shouldbe happy. Just give CdG one year to get moving.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 3rd August 2012, 06:06

charles and elina both good roses , one thing about charles tho, it does suffer little from blackspot.. so little care to be taken and it is a beautiful rose

Last edited by jordan71 on 3rd August 2012, 06:09; edited 1 time in total
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 3rd August 2012, 06:08

Daniel, you picked up some good roses there and at a fantastic price. They can't be produced for those prices. Bridal Pink is a great rose, you will be able to cut some good stems and give to all your girlfriends.

Silkyfizz, Elina is going to be on the biggish side and it is on the healthier side as well, you will love the blooms.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 3rd August 2012, 13:22

Betsy , after reading about your Charles de Gaulle , i'm wondering if i should give it another go , lovely fragrance , and i liked the colour , but as you said , maybe just needs time .
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 3rd August 2012, 13:41

Maree, if you liked the colour, then I'd say, for sure, give Le General another go. The fragrance is not only very good, it really travels. Edit: But you know that, of course. What I shoudl reassure you about is the rebloom, especially from March-May. Those bushes just kept popping 'em out, blam blam blam. Grey bouquets all over the house.

Mine were two years old when I ordered them bareroot from Magic Gardens (funny how my best specimens of all sorts of roses come from there; too bad MG have jumped their prices past Treloars).

The CdGs were acceptable the first year, but it really was the second half of the second season that I couldn't help but notice what stand-out performers they were - which perversely annoyed me, because I had discovered I couldn't live with that grey colour.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 3rd August 2012, 15:10

Lol Betsy isn't life funny, think you find a good rose , but then there's just something about it you don't like , story of my life , but thats what makes gardening such fun , and challenging . I think i bought that rose from Bunninngs, usually i buy from Swanes, Treloars , Silkies , Mistydowns, never tried Magic roses , thanks for the feedback ....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy on 3rd August 2012, 16:04

roseman wrote:Daniel, you picked up some good roses there and at a fantastic price. They can't be produced for those prices. Bridal Pink is a great rose, you will be able to cut some good stems and give to all your girlfriends.

Silkyfizz, Elina is going to be on the biggish side and it is on the healthier side as well, you will love the blooms.

Lol Roseman.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 3rd August 2012, 20:08

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm pretty happy now and will just have to wait until the action starts. I'm looking forward to following the perfumes wafting through the garden. Grey/mauve...hmmm. With Elina at the back, the colour might appear more mauvy? Here's hoping. I always find the right tonings of flowers against each other can enhance the look or clash horribly - every single time I look it jars if it's not right. Does that happen to you?

Dannyboy you sure found some bargains. My few purchases seem pretty piddly compared to your great swag of roses. Where do you find the room for them? You must have a big garden! It will be interesting to compare notes with you on Charles. Maree why don't you get another one and try again? You know you want to LOL.

Jordan, thank you for the tip that Charles can suffer from some black spot. I will be on the lookout! Betsy, like you, I don't like to use chemicals. I will be trying the mixture with bicarb to counteract BS. Has anyone tried this? How effective is it?
I try to keep the good insects like ladybirds and praying mantis to keep aphids down as well as squashing them on my morning stroll around the garden. I have a praying mantis egg case on the back door frame, which I watched as it was laid. The nymphs are supposed to hatch in spring so I'm keeping a close watch.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 3rd August 2012, 20:51

Here are the results of my highly scientific research into the efficacy of bicarbonate of soda and milk as an anti-fungal/bacterial agent for roses (doesn't the method have a research-y name like The Cornell Solution or something?)

I have found that bicarb and milk are at their most beneficial when consumed by the gardener to counteract the heartburn generated by the sight of roses coated in gunk. The only way the stuff will kill the blackspot and the powdery mildew is if the spores die laughing.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 3rd August 2012, 21:08

Lol Betsy , you are sooo right , i googled the Cornell solution and he has a product called GreenCure , like Eco-Rose but different , no mixing with oil , Eco-Rose another waste of my hard earned cash , i wonder about this GreenCure , recommended by AARS , through e-bay though . Mmmnn....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 3rd August 2012, 21:25

Oh Betsy you made me laugh out loud and nearly choked on my cuppa!
OK, doesn't work. Back to square 1.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 3rd August 2012, 21:45

Silkyfizz, I reckon that next year we should organise to go on a shopping expedition with Dannyboy.

Or we could just hire a U-Haul and park at the kerb outside Maree's house. FREE roses! Have you read what she's thrown away? Jeez, Paroles and Mme Alfred Carrieres and so many more! And TREE ROSES!

About those beneficial insects. I too nurture the ones that occasionally drop in.

Not all my hospitality is appreciated, though. Many years ago I bought a tub of 500 chilled live ladybugs. Followed all the instructions about warming them up slowly, putting each one next to some aphids on a rose leaf all to itself, with a few droplets of water.

Took a hour and half to gently place the ladies and the water droplets all around. Sure enough, they extended their little wings from beneath their jewelled carapaces, took dainty sips of water,and surveyed the aphids set before them.

And then without sampling so much as a single aphid entree, They. All. Flew. Away.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 3rd August 2012, 22:14

Betsy you crack me up! Did you forget the rhyme..."Ladybird, ladybird fly away home"? I shouldn't laugh, your heart was in the right place.

Yes, I'm with you. Freebies: What we don't get at Maree's, we'll be sure to find with Danny. He knows just where to go to get great deals. Just need a larger garden or chainsaw mine and neighbour's trees so I have more sun.

Hey Danny, you don't have the same knack with clothes and shoes, by any chance? I've had my eye on some designer gear. LOL
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 3rd August 2012, 22:49

Lol Ha Ha , i'm watching the footy AFL of course and watching you funny buggers too, my team won , you beauty what a game , free roses nah , games up there , i had so many of them , like Danny i just kept planting and planting them everywhere and then found out , no way did i have the time to look after them all, like having too many kids lol , although my husband does raise his eyes at me and think i'm nuts , i just love changing things around ,can't help myself .....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 3rd August 2012, 23:05

Yes me too, Geelong just got there! I was hoping they'd win!
A very entertaining night, what with the giggles and the goals.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 3rd August 2012, 23:10

Betsy , i can just imagine you and those poor little cold ladybirds , maybe they were Victorian ones and they were just heading home ....lol.....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 3rd August 2012, 23:16

Silkyfizz , what a game , and wasn't Hawkins fantastic, kicked the winning goal , over those dirty , dirty Hawks , ( sorry any hawks supporters )...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 3rd August 2012, 23:56

Watching the Olympics here. I keep turning away to do somethinge else like yackity yack here, and so all the cut-aways to different events are becoming a seamless dream narrative event , sort of a heptadecapentahalon where the archers are jumping off high dive boards into sculls which inexplicably become bicyles which turn into dressage horses. Oh look, there's a trampoline in the mix...
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 3rd August 2012, 23:59

Uh Betsy , i think its time you went to bed , or better still you could watch AFL !!!!!!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy on 4th August 2012, 04:16

Forget to mention to Got Paradise rose for $4.00 lol.I have made room in my garden front and back there was plenty of room no now tho.Had alot of native Kangaroo paw and ripped it all off and put roses.Got no room left so that's it for me.Had to put 3 roses in my vegetable patch lol so thats a sign no more roses.

There's alot of bargains out ther guys just keep a lookout.My local nursery had 20% of last month and got for my dad Mothers Love for $7.00.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 4th August 2012, 07:39

Paradise is a dog.

(Just sayin' that to be mean, Danny Smile
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 4th August 2012, 08:55

Danny , i've been where you are , i got rose fever , i came across a woman called Diana Fickling who is a great rosarian and rose lover and member of Victorian rose society on the net , her garden was roses everywhere , every type of rose , i thought thats what i'm going to do , and i did ,but the time needed to maintain all these roses with a full time job and family became a bit too much , plus vegie patches and other projects had to have a space . My love of roses hasn't waned though , i think its a disease and once you've got it , you've got it for good lol ......
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum