by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

» Potted Roses
by Rosenda001 19th July 2017, 21:52

photos of my new garden to be

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: photos of my new garden to be

Post by Jac2 on 6th August 2012, 15:11

I found this system useful when fine-tuning my possible to the final order. Itís not perfect, but it gives good results with basic equipment, and little time and effort. Google Earth (GE) is free to download.

1 Retrieve your address on GE

2 Zoom in to get only the area of interest, i.e. front- or back yard only, zoom in as far as possible or you waste space

3 Go to the mail option and e-mail the image to your address

4 In Word, go file, page set up, select landscape

5 Hit enter a couple of times to create a few lines, and then place your cursor back onto the first line (or itís difficult to get to the next page after placing a very large image)

6 Copy and paste GE image from e-mail into doc

7 To fit image to page, right click on it, and go to format picture. Change Height to 15.8 cm (worked for me, but try out different sizes and maybe get a better fit for you). Leave the width as is; donít drag corners, as this distorts images.

8 Move to the next (Word) page; your temporary workbench

9 Go to your supplierís online catalogue and retrieve the first rose on your list, ID the largest, clearest most true to colour image they offer; donít use thumbnails.

10 Cascade your windows for this: With Word on left side of and behind web window, select rose image (donít let go) and drag into doc., let go when you see a green circle with a +sign

11 Select rose image, right click on it and go to format picture. Select Ďpictureí to crop until youíre left with a square of only the roseís colour. Still in format picture, go to size and change height to 1cm, no need to change width (*see note below).

12 Insert a textbox from the top menu bar. The size must fit rose initials on top, then colour swatch, and dimensions underneath.

13. To get the textbox to sit on top of your GE garden image, right click box and go to layout; select in front of text.
If your program gives you textboxes with black lines around them, go to colours and lines, and select no lines.

14 Adjust textbox size to get the tightest fit possible (see blow for reason); dragging corners is OK here, scale doesnít matter

15 Change the font to white, so that you can see it against a green background

15 Copy and paste the textbox (for the next rose) before moving it into your garden, i.e., you only need to prepare one box (save).

16 Get the other rose colours on your order and move them onto the GE image

You can now see what the colours you selected look like together in your garden, and whether you have too much or too little of any particular hue. You can drag the boxes around or you can use the arrows on your keyboard, and you can fine tune with ďcontrolĒ + arrows.
Having them all together on one page, including their dimensions makes it easy to place them, decide which roses look best next to each other or further apart and to eliminate what will not work anywhere.

When youíre ready to take a printed copy out into your garden to get a better perspective and verify planting distances are OK, be sure to first select and delete the GE image (background) so that you donít waste your ink on printing that huge green area. This will leave only the colour swatches; no text either, as the font is white, but by now you know what they all are (or change it back). Save a new copy every time; youíre likely to make many changes before you reach a final decision.

* 1cm2 colour swatches worked for me with 30 shrubs; looking at it again above, 0.8 or so might have been better. You could play with different sizes, maybe use 0.75, 1.5 cm, etc. to include groundcovers or want-to-be-climbers. But the sizes that will work best, depends on your GE image.

This system is not perfect, and the questionable scale is best proof for this, but itís better than imagining. If a perfect scale were important, Iíd note it from GE right at the start and use Photoshop, not Word.

Another possible problem you could have once youíre exceeding a certain number of plants is that the boxes start to shift every time you add another. When this starts to happen, save before you add new items or donít fine-tune their position until youíre pretty sure about where they will end up (theyíll just keep on shifting when it gets too crowed). I think there is a way to lock the images into place, but havenít found it necessary to look into that. You could also divide the area into smaller sections, i.e., get a couple of closer GE images to deal with this. Alternatively, hit the breaks, this could indicate your order has blown out.

Iím looking forward to seeing lots of different garden designs from you guys, particularly Davidís and Neptuneís.
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 6th August 2012, 17:31

If you are in the area covered by them nearmaps are superior to google earth. The photos have been taken from a lower altitude.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 6th August 2012, 21:38

Wow Jac 2, that looks great ! And it has given me a idea, not so much for planning my garden but for doing my garden map of the positions of all my roses and plants as you have done above. Thankyou for your detailed instructions, I will try it once I have planted all my roses.
Thanks too Balinbear for telling us about Near maps, I will try there when I am not sleepy. The pool looks inviting !

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 7th August 2012, 15:50

I guess that is your 'ponderossa' Gary in the above post. I tried 'nearmap', for us country folk 300 plus kLms form Sydney it does not comput, last shot of us was in 2004. I have used GE and it wasn't to bad a couple of years ago, might try it later to see if we can get closer.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5138

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 7th August 2012, 16:31

Yeah mate thats the house, front garden and bit of one of the horse paddocks.

As a surveyor I can cheat a bit with the software we have. Still if you are in a capital city or close by or near a mining area its worth looking at.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Click the tick box at the bottom box that says "Take me to the Map". Once you tick the box the bigger box will turn orange and you click it and away you go. The only way to print is to do a Print Screen and then past the image into your document. You can crop the extra bits off once you get the inage into your document.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 7th August 2012, 16:40

Gary I am near 3 up and running mines with one to come, does 40minutes count as close
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 7th August 2012, 16:50

Just had another go, still not defined enough, if you are doing our racecourse can you see if that works please Gary
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 7th August 2012, 17:01

Too close to the mines! But yeah no Mudgee on nearmaps.
Looks like Google Earth is your best bet.

No news on the Racecourse as yet. Probably scared them with the estimate.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 7th August 2012, 17:48

Thanks for the effort Gary Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 7th August 2012, 18:27

Garry, your property looks really nice. Thanks for the link to nearmaps and instructions; I like trying new things and will use it for planning my back yard.

Rosemeadow, I hope the system works for you.
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 7th August 2012, 19:56

I will get my daughers to help me when I am ready to use it. Thanks again Jac 2.
Balinbear I will try the Near maps on my place in Tasmania as we are only half a hour from Launceston.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 7th August 2012, 21:29

Karen

You may be lucky. Coverage around Launceston is a bit sparatic.

Gary
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: