Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

G'Day from the Northern Tablelands, NSW

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: G'Day from the Northern Tablelands, NSW

Post by silkyfizz on 31st July 2012, 18:46

Thanks Neptune. Sumptuous looking blooms, not the pure purple on the label but I would be more than happy with that. How do you find growth, frequency of flowers and resistance to BS? How strong is the the perfume? How old is your bush? Sorry for all the questions.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 31st July 2012, 19:00

growth wasn't all the hype that the nursery made it out to be and it is only a small bush

blooms were quiet good with good frequency of flowers but t does lie in bed with BS

perfume is quiet good but not like some others that when you walk past it grabs your attention

the bush was two years old , but we took it out because it did not live up to the expectations we needed for showing it and so it went to the church raffle
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 31st July 2012, 19:36

Thank you for the feedback Neptune, which is much more valuable to me than info on the tag and the wonderful descriptions from David Austin. I'm just a run-of-the-mill gardener, don't show roses, so my expectations are somewhat lower than perhaps others here. AND I'm an eternal optimist!
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 31st July 2012, 22:24

Thank you, David, I meant to say I had not ordered MW, given the limited information available on www at the time, but had to take it all the same, as it was part of an Austin Collection offered as a package. But now that I have it, I will see soon enough how itíll unfold, and can provide this information, rather than seek it.

Iím still chewing on the information and inspiration provided during my first week here, and in the process of creating insane new lists, and will need help with narrowing them down eventually. When the time comes Iíll create probably many new threads.
James is amused, theyíre everywhere, on envelopes, invoices, bills, every little bit of white on magazines, log illegible French words feverishly scribbled down, he tries to encipher theses strange words, and then it hits him: oh no, its another rose name. Many cheers.

Silkyfizz, if your MW has just been planted, it probably wont be ďshooting upĒ any time soon; I gather itís still quite cold in Melbourne. Iím hoping, of course that for you it will, but MW is quite likely a slower starter. I also have a Pat Austin, which was flagged to be slow to establish on several sites, and it WAS comparatively slow, but even that has many buds now. If I didnít know this was normal for some varieties (e.g., many OGRs, with Mm Hardy and Charles de Mills still not showing anything, but healthy leaves), Iíd probably be worried, but I just think, good Iíll have plenty of fresh blooms when everything else is tapering off. This is not a race, and good things are allowed to take their own good time.

Yes, there is nothing quite like yellow and purple/mauve together. I can see how you might wonder about EbbT and BarbS, with ET being so smoky and BS a lot brighter and more pinkish, but with yellow GT nearby, they will both look quite different than in their individual close up shots; and they blend, thatís the key.
If you canít get GT, why not try something white? When I googled info on my Big Purple and Angel Face (similar differences in mauve hues), which grow separately in their own bed, one recommendation was that the best contrast for BP was white; and that made good sense so I planted large flowered highly scented Stephanovas (spelling? a Jasmine variety?) between them.

Help Me Find Roses provides some pretty accurate information re actual growth / appearance / health, because it is provided by many consumers and not only sellers. James always laughs and shakes his head when I read him descriptions from the catalogues (yes, I make him listen to these), and then I can see the funny side, too. AND there is a code e.g., good all round garden variety = pretty undistinguishable and no fragrance at all.
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 31st July 2012, 22:34

Hello neptune, if youíre still online, would you tell me how you published your picture. Can I just add that from my library somehow or do I have to host it elsewhere and then link to it? Cheers, Jackie
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 31st July 2012, 22:58

Jac the easiest way is to upload to photobucket or other dimensions out there and then click on the [img][/img] and paste it into the post reply . Then hit preview to check it is there and then send it once everything is good...

ask if you need anymore answers...
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 31st July 2012, 23:14

Cheers Neptune
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 31st July 2012, 23:31

my pleasure...
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st August 2012, 06:37

Jackie, here is another option on posting photos

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 1st August 2012, 19:20

Thank you, David, I shall try this way with my next image.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum