Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

G'Day from the Northern Tablelands, NSW

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

G'Day from the Northern Tablelands, NSW

Post by hariet~rose on 25th July 2012, 21:41

Hello Rosarians,
I am new to this site but have been very happy to read about your rose-ing endeavours and to see that there are many kindred spirits out there. I live on the Northern Tablelands, NSW and have to deal with very cold winters and stop and start springs. My favourite rose is probably Abraham Darby but I am also very partial to Charles de Mills. As well as Mme Isaac Pereire. And then there is Rosa bracteata. And I better not forget ‘Mariana’ or Martine Guillot for that matter. As well as the Childrens’ Rose. I have had limited experience with budding or from raising rose plants from seed and my ventures in the last department were very ordinary (a cross between Aloha x Abraham Darby). I will keep trying. I like collecting roses from old abandoned homesteads and cemeteries. The last rose i ‘procured’ this way which wasn’t in flower at the time, and turned out to be climbing Queen Elizabeth .. so a bit disappointing, but there is always the next time. I have about 200 roses and i keep ordering more. I am looking for Rosa banksiae var normalis but not having much success and would appreciate any suggestions of where to look on-line for it. I am also looking for Rose de recht, Rosa matteo’s silk butterflies and Violette. My usual place of ordering roses in southern NSW seems to be low on stock and tonight i am looking though the Misty Downs site.
Mexican Wave Ooo roo for now from Hariet~Rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: G'Day from the Northern Tablelands, NSW

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 25th July 2012, 22:12

Hariet, best I can do on short notice is Thomas' in S.A. They have 3 that I can find.
Can you tell me much about Rosa matteo’s silk butterflies
Rosa banksiae var normalis is in OZ, about 3 places I reckon
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 25th July 2012, 22:15

Hi Harriet -Rose , greetings from Melbourne , another rose grower who's garden seems divine , 200 roses , well done , Mistydowns is the site i would have recommended , Ross Roses might have some , good luck on your search ...
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 25th July 2012, 22:20

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The link above should get you to Thomas', Hariet

Rosa banksiae var normalis is in OZ, might take some getting hold of.
The link below is for mail order nurseries

Best I can find on this one.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy on 26th July 2012, 03:57

Welcome and hope you enjoy the forum.I just bought the childrens rose how do find it to grow.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 26th July 2012, 09:45

A very warm welcome to our forum Hariet.
Enjoy yourself and I am sure you will make some new friends here.
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 26th July 2012, 10:03

Welcome to our forum Hariet. Please enjoy your stay.
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 26th July 2012, 13:41

Welcome Harriet, greetings from suburban Melbourne. I'm a brand new member of the forum too but only have a few roses compared to your 200! Wow! Your garden sounds lovely.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose on 26th July 2012, 19:00

Thank you everyone for your very kind welcome - and also for the links to places where i can look for some more roses. Now to answer your comments;
Rosa matteo’s silk butterflies is a china rose from Kleine, California, 1992. It is derived from a seedling from mutabilis possibly with Francis E. Lester, which i am not familiar with, but apparently this makes it a Hybrid Musk. But i would have to think about that. It looks like mutablis except that the petals are a good blue pink and crinkly like a tree poppy. I think if you rosarians have not seen it about then it may not have been imported here as yet.

The Childrens' rose is very easy to grow and is resistant to black spot and we get wet summers here so possibly a good test for that. I am so impressed with it as a cutting rose that i have ordered some more.

Yes my garden can be lovely but because of the cold winters (we regularly get down to minus 12 at night) i would say that my plants are not as big as you might expect or hope for.. plus i have many, many sad, stories about roses lost. Still I am very grateful for a good water supply and good soil. Coming up Roses
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 26th July 2012, 19:45

Hariet, hello from Brisbane and welcome to RTA. I’m also a relatively new member here and quite new to growing roses, but already totally hooked.
To hear somebody who grows 200 roses say their favorites include Abe D and Charles de Mills makes me very happy indeed, and I’m looking forward to mine all the more. They went in on the first day of winter and Abe is already completely covered in buds, but CM is still a bit slow to take, I hear that’s normal for some of the OGRs.
Seeing we may have similar tastes, I have very quickly put your Rosa bracteata, Martine Guillot and the Childrens’ Rose on my list for further investigation.
Cheers, Jacky
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose on 26th July 2012, 20:01

Wow .. you have got buds on Abe already. Stunned . I reckon i won't see any buds on mine until late october.. it is still just bare sticks no sign of any leaves..and it hasn't been pruned yet as we prune later here, in August.. my CM has started to spread in recent years so i think you are right that it takes awhile for it to settle in.. it does very well from cuttings..my CM is < 1.5m tall but i imagine in Brisbane you will get a nice tall plant in time.. my R. bracteata was snaffled as a cutting as it grows wild in my district.. it was v. easy to strike and survived a house sitter who didn't water any of my plants for 6 months..it has been slow to put on growth but I know it is just tricking me and will be a huge mound in a few years. thanks for your message Jacky..
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 26th July 2012, 20:48

Hariet, anything grows huge here in Brisbane, its amazing; I had a Jude the Obscure in my old garden a couple of years ago that produced a cane over 2m tall within the first year of being planted bare rooted; that is, well over 2m.
I got to have my first sniff of Tamora, also planted 1/6, this morning, and I’m in heaven. Everything I planted on that day has produced numerous buds, except Mm Hardy, Raine de Violettes, CM, and Munstead Wood, so mainly the OGRs. I will be able to post my first photos very soon.
Good to know CM grows well from cuttings.
Is that house sitter still alive? Cheers …
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose on 26th July 2012, 21:14

well my jude the obscure lives up to its name! Demure and a shy retiring sort..I still like it though and i have planted it in front of the berry patch.. the house sitter survived .. just.. one guinea pig died [actually not her fault, the sitter that is Smile] and she put the wooden chopping boards in the dishwasher.. looking forward to seeing your photos.. i have lost 2 R de Vs and i must look up Munstead Wood.. my Mm Hardy is a great rose..are you getting the thunder storms tonight? Rocking the place here.. bye
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 26th July 2012, 21:28

Munstead Wood
English Roses (Shrub)
Crimson, many shades of red in various stages, burgundy, mauve with velvet sheen
Flower Double/full, large, cupped at first, becoming shallowly cupped with time
Size Medium shrub
Fragrance Strong old rose, with a fruity note: warm and fruity with blackberry, blueberry, damson and citrus.
Repeating Excellent
Height 1m - 1.2m tall x 1 – 1.2
Foliage: Semi glossy, medium green, the younger leaves being red-bronze, a nice contras
Habit Medium size broad shrub, bushy
Strength good disease resistance
Cultivation Borders, mixed planting, containers

2010 David Austin RELEASE (Ausbernard) -

The flowers are light crimson in the bud. As the centre gradually reveals itself, it becomes a very deep velvety crimson, while the outer petals remain rather lighter in colour. As the flower ages, it reveals stigma and stamens.
The ability to display a wide range of colors that change with the light and stages of the flower is one of the most charming qualities of red Austin roses have.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 26th July 2012, 21:45

Jackie, I'm looking forward to seeing how my Munstead Wood pans out. It sounds lovely and I hope it lives up to the hype of descriptions.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 27th July 2012, 20:31

Hello Harriet~rose ! If you type in R. Normalis in the search engine at the top right of this forum, and then click again on the topic, it will bring up the post I did on my R.Normalis. Its a bit of bad timming as I could have sent you so many cuttings as I cut it right back so I could dig it up to move to Tasmania. If you want to wait to till it grows another season or so, I can send you some cuttings. This one is cutting grown.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose on 28th July 2012, 10:20

oh thank you. i just did the search and the photos are wonderful and just the effect i wanted. I wlll take u up on your offer of some cuttings in a couple of seasons.. and i will keep trying in the meanwhile.. i am not in a huge hurry. i have tried one nursery in SA and while they have the single var listed they said they never keep var. normalis and haven't answered my follow up on whether they are one and the same (you'd think so)..if you are after cuttings for your new garden i can prepare a list of what i grow and you can peruse it as i haven't started pruning yet owing to the cold climate .. but will start a bit this weekend - bye
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 28th July 2012, 10:38

Harriet, I travel through Armidale when I visit my parents at Nambucca Heads. That won't change now as I will still be going back to Gulgong when my older children visit their Dad, then we we go onto visit my parents. So one day I will bring you a own root of R. Normalis, I hope. I will leave the cuttings till some time when I come through in Winter, thanks. I didn't have much luck with cuttings sent through the mail, maybe it was done when it was a little too warm. I am glad you liked the effect, it had the yellow Banksia growing through it and it looked pretty. R Normalis was has a lovely fragrace.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 28th July 2012, 10:58

Karen, have tranplanted it yet, 'normalis'
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose on 28th July 2012, 11:26

thanks rosemeadow, would love to have you visit when you come through to nambucca - that will be a long hike for you so a cuppa and some roses to meet will be awaiting
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 28th July 2012, 21:29

Yes Harriet, that would be lovely. I have a friend on a property near Uralla too.
I lived for a few years near Bendemeer once.
Yes Roseman, I have planted Normalis. I will have a look at it tomorrow.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 31st July 2012, 17:38

Hey silkyfizz, you’ve got a MW, too. Isn’t it great we all get to know how this rose will grow under very different conditions? Is yours as slow as mine? I don’t mind, if some are a bit slower, it just means I’ll have more blooms at different times. I finally got a couple of bud tips since my last post.

Not one I picked on my own accord, I’d like to have a lot more information before I settle for a rose; and there was hardly any out there. Just about what I posted. It came as part of a collection, but I didn’t mind at all with this one. From what I understand, all the darker crimson/red Austins have been very fragrant; and the contrast between yellow (unknown) and white (Blanc Double de Coubert) on either side will be stunning … I hope.
I also have Othello, a very thorny beast, and The Squire, which has been described as sparse, but mine very quickly produced 7 bushy new canes just from the base alone, so I would definitely not agree with that assessment at this early stage.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 31st July 2012, 17:54

What information do you require Jackie scratch
If you need to start a thread on all the subjects you would like to know about then I will seperate them to induvidual ones and we can go from there.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 31st July 2012, 18:09

Hi Jackie, yes I'm looking forward to see how MW grows. It will be interesting to compare notes and see how they grow in different climates. Mine has just gone into its new bed and I can't wait to see it shooting up. Your colour scheme sounds lovely. I've also got it beside yellow roses with liliums and bearded iris (white, blue, purple). I'm hoping to get a Graham Thomas as backdrop. My only concern is Ebb Tide and mauve Barbra Striesand on the other side so I hope the colours work. I haven't seen MW or BS or Ebb in the flesh so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. How many times do the descriptive labels bear little resemblance to actual growth/appearance/health? Sigh
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 31st July 2012, 18:39

Hi silkyfizz...this is what my ebb tide looks like in the flesh....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: