» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

ADR Roses -are they marked as such here?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ADR Roses -are they marked as such here?

Post by betsyw on 20th July 2012, 07:46

Do any of the major Australian bareroot suppliers - Treloars, Swanes, Magic Gardens, etc - clearly denote the roses they offer that carry the imprimatur of ADR - Allgemeine Deutsche Rosenneuheitenprüfung (and doesn't that roll trippingly off the tongue?).

This European rose performance testing program is exceedingly stringent these days, and so even more useful for post-2000 cultivars. (Kordes and Meilland usually carry away the awards, natch). I for one would like to see the ADR mark big and bold in the Oz catalogues where applicable. I don't recall seeing the badge anywhere, but maybe I am blind.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: ADR Roses -are they marked as such here?

Post by Ozeboy on 20th July 2012, 08:25

betsyu, the National Trial Garden in SA issues plants a medal (If good enough) which is usually displayed on tags and catalogues.

There is nothing to protect the buyer regards each plant being as good as the plant tested or it's health statis concerning viruses.
One just has to rely on the propagators practices and the nurseries credibility.

Buyer beware.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 20th July 2012, 08:52

Ain't it the truth, Ozeboy? Only in my case, it's Buyer Buy Two. Even the best suppliers can 't (or don't) totally regulate the quality of individual plants . As a case in point, right now I have two of the much-lauded Firefighters. One is just superb, lives up to all the hype; the other is a stingy-blooming, leafless piece of rose poop. If I didn't have the first plant as a "control", I'd judge FF to be a complete fizzbucket.

I also like signposts, such as ADR. I completely disregard AARS medals - a joke. I look with interest upon the Oz trial medals , but I am really a sucker for the German techno-work ethic.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 20th July 2012, 17:22

The 'Firefighters' you mentioned, one vigorous the other a dud can sometimes be attributed to the budder not matching up the cambium layers properly. Understand they don't over pay these casual nurserymen. The foreman or overseer can't watch every bud that is put on, particularly in November when crews do thousands per day.
Poor growth or lacking vigour together with viruses should be picked up in the first two years of growth prior to sale.
I have sometimes found one of my purchases not doing all that well so
rebud it onto Multiflora to the chip bud method and most times the plant bursts into life provided the original was not virused.

Don't be too hard on the nursery for so many are going out of business due to rising costs, labour shortages, drought and the big nursery chains selling at cost. I propagate about 500 to 700 a year and am not making a profit. It's an expensive hobby in retirement for me.

The National Rose Trial garden is in SA, East Coast gardeners refer to those trials as no guide for the east coast. Health there is no indication how they will grow in Sydney or Coffs Harbour.
There are too many variables in plants and very little we can do about it.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum