by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Hello from Brisbane

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hello from Brisbane

Post by tambralyngar on 15th July 2012, 10:59

Thr fragrance of my Just Joey is beautiful not as strong as some but still nice, a little fruity & a bit like bubblegum to me. I have mine growing under/near some large Lilly Pilly trees (the neighbours trees) but I think it really likes this position. My Blue Moon, is in a totally different garden, so maybe JJ smells ok not near other stronger fragrances.

I have re posted my thread about an ID on my mystery white rose so maybe it will help again.
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 17th July 2012, 23:04

Hello Jackie, here is a big roserian rose hug from me ! Funny how all us rose lovers have the same syptoms.
Your garden will be lovely with Tea roses and other roses in it. There is a very good book about Tea roses and written by four Australian women.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 23rd July 2012, 07:12

Tamara, glad to hear your Just Joey has a nice fragrance, the majority of people seem to agree with that. I met a lady at the local nursery a couple of days ago who told me her JJ was very beautiful, but unfortunately had not much of a fragrance either, like mine; maybe itís the dappled shade you can provide in your garden that keeps it at its best here in QLD. I honestly donít think it was my soil, because I packed so much into it that it ended up just as or even more expensive than the roses.

Rosemeadow, I needed a hug; just completed another round of planting frenzy, using the end of season discounts as an opportunity to sample as many blooms as possible. Now every single pot is occupied, and most of the soil I prepared since January is gone (some was meant for a veggie patch); and Iím completely exhausted.

Needing more roses is an interesting phenomenon; Iím keeping an eye on myself and constantly think of ways to curb this behaviour. E.g., I have discovered I get exactly the same buss from walking out of the nursery with just one rose in my hand than I get from multiple purchases. So I take only cash, forcing me to think that much more carefully about which rose to select. The next day I think that was crazy, because now I have to go back and get the other(s?); but ha, ha, some of them will be gone.

A tea rose book written by four Australians would be interesting, because my Monsieur Tiller is doing exceptionally well, completely covered in buds, and the authors of my current references are English. Whatís the title?

Iíve been reading P. Bealesí Classic Roses and also A. Bealesí Care Manual, and my potential order for next year has exploded. Maybe a book tailored to our unique climate will help me narrow down this list a bit, Ö hmmm

Anybody, is the black spot on the local trees the same that will hurt my roses or is it a different strain?
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 23rd July 2012, 12:27

Jac, below is a link to the Tea book.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 23rd July 2012, 13:44

Thank you David; what a beautiful cover! Do you have this book?
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 23rd July 2012, 16:13

Hello Jac, welcome to our forum. I am sure you will make lots of new friends.
David has got the book. I got him for one of his Christmas or Birthday presents. It is a book worth putting on your Christmas wish list.
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 23rd July 2012, 17:51

Jackie, 2 of the authors are on here and will from time to time look in. They will also answer email/Pm's sent from here.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 25th July 2012, 17:22

Carole, its on my list, and so are some Teas for next year. I had a preliminary check on HMF, and saw lots of beautiful, fragrant and repeat blooming Teas in all colours, and whatís more, many Australian varieties, so availability wonít be a problem. I will definitely take a closer look at Teas now.

Thank you David, if you have the book handy, maybe you could tell me the variety on the front cover? That is the look that drew me to the Austins, and why I have so many of them, but if the Teas fare better in our climate, by all means Ö
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 26th July 2012, 18:59

Jackie, sorry I forgot to reply to your question on the front cover, it is 'Comtesse de Labarthe'
here is a link to the book so you can see the cover, any good book shop will have it
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 on 26th July 2012, 20:01

Oh, its that Shell Rose again, with a strong tea fragrance, wonderful; thank you.
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum