Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Eco-Rose fungicide

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eco-Rose fungicide

Post by betsyw on 20th May 2012, 18:36

Please excuse me if this topic has been done to death. I did a quick search, and came up empty, but perhaps the references are buried within posts and I missed them.

I don't spray anything with anything, but I'm thinking that if this product works ever so slightly, then I could apply with a clear conscience and no gas mask. I get occasional BS on all my roses ( and I usually select varieties that have better-than-average resistance), nothing that's hideous, but it would be nice to minimise the leaf damage for the general health of the roses.

Do any of you experts use this stuff? I realise that it's mostly potassium bicarbonate, but I'm not averse to paying for the convenient packaging.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Eco-Rose fungicide

Post by maree on 7th June 2012, 21:26

Yes i have used this product for some years betsyw , save your money , cause its expensive and it doesn't work . You have to spray diligently every two weeks from when you prune them in June , you have to mix it with Eco oil and seaweed solution and spray both sides of the leaves for it to work . Very time consuming . The latest theory is to apply Munash Rockdust and Renew occasionally and you don't need to spray as often . Mmmnn we'll see .....
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 8th June 2012, 07:06

Oh goodie. Can send the money down the drain instead with a lottery ticket Wink
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 8th June 2012, 08:26

Lol , i found some good tips though from Roseman/Admin and others on the " Whats bugging my roses/black spot forum " . I tried the milk thing too, early in the morning didn't work , but the milk and bicarb recipe sounds good . EcoRose is so overpriced , i have given up on all sprays , just going to get my roses as healthy as i can this year and see how that goes ....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 8th June 2012, 17:54

Look, I think all the RTA hybridisers should drop their seeds and stamens, and devote a year to a EUREKA! bs preventative. There are millions upon millions of dollars awaiting the inventors of such a product. Bigger bucks than an iphone app or a new social network. You heard it here first (or last. I can never tell.)

In any event: Maybe later in the season we can compare our unsprayed Blackberry Nips to see who has the more vicious regional strain of blackspot.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 9th June 2012, 11:41

Good idea betsyw , comparing Blackberry Nip , i live in a temperate coastal area so black spot is always a problem , i'm just not going to spray anymore , i have spent a fortune over the years , spraying , have used the hard chemicals , and the organic stuff , and lugged around heavy spray bottles that leaked and i ended up getting wet and peeded off , none of it worked . I'm just going to keep trying different roses until i find ones that suit our climate . The newest product that Silkies Roses has recommended is Munash Rockdust and Renew liquid , use it everywhere in the garden occasionally or when you need it and at planting time . I bought some and i think i like it , bit early to tell yet ....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 9th June 2012, 11:47

Oh yeah and i'm with you ,black spot probably makes people stop growing roses , rose growers should realise this , and they probably do , but it seems to me very little has been done about it , when they develope hybrid t roses .
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 11th June 2012, 09:56

Look, I'm thinking that about the only thing that you get when you breed a truly armour-plated rose is a scentless creature. Fine for some, but most of us value fragrance . And that goes for everyone who doesn't even grow the little wretches. First thing everybody does when they see a rose is smell it (or try to), right?

I'm further thinking here a systemic application. There's a super product called Comfortis for dogs. One tablet a month, and presto, no fleas, no flea larvae. So simple (and expensive, but worth it and cost-effective compared to sprays and collars and shampoos).

So why not a bs-killer that you apply to the soil? No tedious and hit-miss spraying, no toxins wafting around, no mixing anything (and good luck with those icky bicarb and milk formulae - none of 'em ever worked for me). Just add water and pour/

I have a name for this theoretical product: "NO BS, No bs" Cool
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 12th June 2012, 19:04

Sounds good betsyw , like you i like hybrid t because of the perfume and lovely flowers , but the bushes can be so disease prone and ungainly , you really have to wonder why . A systemic system sounds good , anyone out there listening ?
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose on 3rd July 2012, 08:55

As an experiment a couple of years back I sprayed my roses diligently every ten to fourteen days with a combination of chemicals and oils and I did keep the blackspot at bay and that's no mean feat for the Sydney Basin (the Blackspot capital of the world). I think I was successful for two reasons these being I started my spray program as soon as the new growth appeared as I subscribe to the theory the blackspot fungi enter a healthy rose plant at this stage and always sticking the spray timetable. I go to this trouble as my wife and I are keen exhibitors as well as administrators and to do well at exhibiting you must keep on top of the diseases and pests.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 3rd July 2012, 09:31

Doug....anything special in the chemicals that you used for the blackspot?....Do you have something over there that we don't have here?
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum