by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Grumbles

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Grumbles

Post by betsyw on 6th June 2012, 00:06

Boy, maree, don't worry about typos! If I had 10 cents for every typo I've made, I could afford to recreate Sissinghurst (and it took me four tries to get that right: looked up from the keyboard and Sissinghurst was spelled Siggilsplat.)

Sorry you didn't bond with Parole. It's a Fright Night colour, that's for sure Shocked

Last edited by betsyw on 6th June 2012, 07:14; edited 1 time in total
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 6th June 2012, 07:09

Thanks Betsyw and Neptune , liked the colour of Parole , but the flowers were just soo big , just me i'm afraid . A rose i really loved for its colour and shape , bud sadly it had no perfume was Princess de Monaco , what a shame it had no perfume ..
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 6th June 2012, 07:37

If you like the size and colouring of Princess dM, Maree, here's the graceful Secret (HILaroma). Possibly one of the best amd most powerful fragrances of all the roses I've ever had, and a beautiful flower . [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oh well. I'm spruiking a rose you can't even get in Oz :sigh:. Don't know why - it's not like the oft-cited issue of climate suitability ever really stopped hundreds of less worthy roses from getting into the country. And let's not even mention outright dogs like JFK.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 6th June 2012, 15:05

Overseas roses have been difficult to import since the 1980's due to
disease issues. Prior to then budwood was readily imported. Now we have to rely on the big nurseries to pick the right roses for us. They deserve a premium price for these while the PBR is current.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 6th June 2012, 16:01

That timeline does explain a lot of things, thank you.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 7th June 2012, 09:10

Well after hours and hours of trolling the net for a rose that i might like , i've decided on three new ones , lets see how these go , they are - Baron de Rothschild , not completely black spot free , but it grows in my mums garden beautifully , with a lovely fragrance and i have always admired it . Lady Phelia a Australian rose i think , and the new one Blackberry Nip , cause i'm sucker for new releases , you never know the blurb just might be right for once , fingers crossed , just got to get the beds ready now and wait for delivery .... How come i get so excited about new roses , does that mean i'm a roseaholic too , yep i think so ....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 7th June 2012, 10:03

I migth well be joining you in Blackberry Nip. The reliable rosarian John Moody has given it a thorough and enthusiastic review over at helpmefind. Sounds very good in all respects, and of course has top rated sweet fragrance.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 7th June 2012, 10:25

Hope so betsyw , i have read some good reviews too , fingers crossed , if its a good rose it might make it into the standard rose garden , there are a few roses there that i have my eye on to replace ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 7th June 2012, 11:07

Also read that BN is fine in the heat - this from a Texan gardener who should know. Only negative I've seen so far is that BN can get mildew. I don't think I've ever had mildew where I've lived in Oz,... there's always a first time.

But yeah, I just can't find any antipathy to BN, not even tried-it-sp'd-it comments.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 7th June 2012, 11:50

Mildew isn't too bad here either Betsyw , except on that horrible rose MaryRose and Double Delight , would you believe i put in four standards of MaryRose and eventually pulled them all out , nice flowers , but didn't last long and bs and mildew and its a recommended plant on a lot of sites .... maybe in England its okay , not in Victoria though ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 7th June 2012, 17:38

The idea of pulling out four standards makes me feel numb around the credit card. Shocked
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 7th June 2012, 18:10

LOL HA HA !!! My husband thinks i'm nuts , just as well i have a job !!!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum