Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Grumbles

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Grumbles

Post by maree on 30th May 2012, 19:57

Hi Brad , i have been to your nursery , very nice , and can i say , " AFL IS THE GREATEST FOOTBALL GAME IN THE WORLD " NRL a nice game and Melbourne Storm boys very nice , but AFL , amazing , go the GEELONG CATS , oh and sorry WELCOME Brad .....
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 31st May 2012, 06:57

Brad, testing roses down south is a complete waste of time. I understand there was a test garden in northern NSW but someone mentioned it had been washed away. Pity, for we might have found roses suitable for Australia. The rose breeders here would have used this facility as they are aware their future is in healthy roses.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 31st May 2012, 17:07

Bruce
Its probably not a waste of time if that is where your market is. It's not worth much to me but the rose market up here just does not exist (unless they are Bali roses) and it is probably much the same in Sydney.
I believe however that the market for them is mainly in Victoria, SA and Tassie so testing down there suits the market.
So if they had a rose that could survive being washed away in the flooding in northern NSW and still not get BS then they would have a rose that really suited Austraian conditions.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 31st May 2012, 17:40

Gary I think I have found your rose lol!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 31st May 2012, 18:13

Brad - thank you SO much for that TZ report. It's great to hear from an industry insider that this rose is in a so-far-so-good stage of evaluation, somewhere in Oz; at least it's on (in)the ground here, which brings it a step closer to my amateurish clutches.

Regarding expensive multi-location trial fields: Is there/was there/could there be a program whereby roses in evaluation would be fostered out to experienced rosarians in various regions and microclimates? People of the calibre of the authoritative members here - and we know who you are ;-)
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 31st May 2012, 18:15

Most of the roses in Benalla survived a "double-dunking" in 2010 (September and then December). The pres of the garden club told me she only had one variety die on her - the others (she has 400 bushes or so) have come through fine.

I really think it's probably a tough ask to expect any one variety to be 100% healthy etc across the huge diversity of the Australian climates.
Most roses do well here -- although the last 2 summers have had much greater humidity and rainfall (more like SE Qld?!!) and showed up a LOT more BS and mildew than I've had here. Maybe only half a dozen of my 100 (ish) bushes came through very clean. It'll probably be back to dry next summer so I'm not super worried.. Wink
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 31st May 2012, 20:59

Yes I admit you are talking about me. So please all you breeders send me your roses to try out!!! L.O.L.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 31st May 2012, 21:15

LOL
Idea
I think we need a LIST of prospective trial gardens....

Innocent
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st June 2012, 06:14

Not to be sexist Wendy, but Gary put his post first so if this was to come to fruishion he should be concidered I think. lol!
Ok, now lets be serious about "Trial Gardens". We as a collective might have a chance "if" we as a whole advocate this. The chance is slim, but if we do not let the growers know our thoughts, how are they to know without feedback.
There are many societies/clubs/assoc/ Aus breeders/ importers be contacted. So if the members of this forum forward to me personally the names of the above I will draft a letter and send off to them. We can only see.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 1st June 2012, 08:00

Not quite sure what i have to do roseman , but put my name down for it , the more trials the better , sick of dud roses ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st June 2012, 08:07

Maree, if we get this going it is going to be upto the nurseries/breeders who get them.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 1st June 2012, 08:59

I wasn't suggesting my name go on the top of the list.
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 1st June 2012, 09:40

Gary, the absence of roses in coastal Qld suggests there is not a rose suitable for that climate. Pity all the really healthy roses lack most of' the characteristics we want, like fantastic blooms, old rose fragrance, intense colour, rapid repeat blooming etc.
Some time back I came to the conclusion that if a rose is not adversely effected with black spot but is good in all other regards then it is suitable for my garden. The ones that fall apart or fail to grow when Blackspot effected are definate culls. There are other reasons for rose decline apart from being labour intensive and need spraying. New suburban developements have next to no front or back yards.
The Tea's Noisettes, China's are suitable but too large for most home developements. Polyantha's could be worthwhile being smaller and some will grow in every locality around Australia.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 1st June 2012, 09:43

Chat I think another posts needs to be started to cater for what has been said....we are slightly off topic [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] here
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st June 2012, 17:18

OK John, I agree, can we call it "Grumbles" please. When you create it please make it so it can stay at the top.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 1st June 2012, 20:19

Bruce
Agree with you partly as I think there are a few roses that would be suitable. I put the lack impetus to find more (?) roses that grow in coastal areas down to the bloody one eyed view that you have to have Bali inspired garden simply because some nutter on TV does not have enough imagination to do anything else.

When we first started grdening we were caught up in the "native" bug. Grow natives nothing else. Yeah that worked well except, like roses, the nurseries only stocked plants that were not suitable for where we lived.

Now with the Bali garden trend, the nurseries only stock tropical plants, some of which don't grow around our area as it is too cold for them. I am sure that there are not too many brains out there in the nursery industry. No matter what garden style you like you need to stock plants that will grow in peoples gardens.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 2nd June 2012, 08:17

Just a brief observation on noisettes and space constraints.

I've grown Mme Al in a hankerchief courtyard, and she really worked. Reached for the light and covered a door arbor in two seasons. Noisettes are mannerly, too, not house eaters like New Dawn (unless you let them go completely mad).

As an urban dweller for most of my life, I appreciate climbers of all stripes. In small garden areas or courtyards or even balconies, there's plenty of vertical space.

As the big suburban gardens disappear and soaring prices spur medium density housing, if I were in the troubled rose industry, I'd be hawking the many fantastic climbing and pillar roses like crazy.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 2nd June 2012, 10:20

Good one betsyw, I didn't think of going skyward. Pillars should be acceptable, Climbers would probably cause problems. A lot of my climbers for sale are in 8" pots climbing through 1880 long bamboo canes to show them off. Difficulty is there is usually a lateral on a growth spurt to swipe me on the face or catch upper clothing.
Still like your idea.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 4th June 2012, 17:34

Compared to you, Ozeboy, my knowledge of roses is pitiful. It would fit into one of your 8" pots. I can only "bear witness" about climbers in small spaces.

I have seen an Altissimo growing up the corner of a Paddington terrace back courtyard, a charming cl white rose wedged into the corner of a baldfaced terrace in Balmain (someone had taken a pickaxe to the concrete, and planted this one in about a foot-square of base dirt), and two Pierre Ronsards smothering a back wall in Glebe.

Could I achieve these marvels? Only ever tried it with noisettes, but it has been done with modern climbers. Climbers that aren't sports are tougher, I think, than my fussy fragrant cutting collection.

I defer to your profound experience. Just sayin' Idea
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 4th June 2012, 22:50

betsyw , thats a fairly good description of my roses too , fussy and fragrant , fair to say they are prima donnas , but i am on a quest to find , fragrant , cutting , healthy roses .....
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 4th June 2012, 23:00

Then I am your most ardent acolyte, maree. You tell me what you find.

I give you three names to conjure with. Ignore the naysayers: if these roses are duds for some, they're winners in my really badly nurtured ghetto: if they work for me, then any fool can grow them.

And you are no fool, but a really accomplished rosarian. Imagine your results.

Valencia, Fragrant Cloud, Parole. Also Jardins de Bagatelle.

My avatar is Valencia plus a few top blooms of J de B.

For fragrance and durability, I guarantee these roses, no fear.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 5th June 2012, 18:06

betsyw, you find some unusual situations and large roses in the smallest yards. Guess it is how great is one love of a certain type of rose.
The most unusual was a guy ordered 6 large 8" potted Tea roses from me and wanted them delivered. Upon arrival I couldn't see anything other than concrete fence to fence and right up to the house. I mentioned were the roses for another property and he replied, "I'm getting a Jackhammer in on Saturday".
Where there's a will there is a way, how great is the power of rose love.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 5th June 2012, 22:48

betsyw , i am just a subufrban gardener , who inherited a love of roses and garden from my mother and father , but i have a clear idea of what a rose should be , in my mind anyway . I have planted and pulled out so many roses , if i don't like them or they don't live up to my expectations , out they come , i did have a garden just full of roses everywhere , but decided to attract more wildlife , so the not so good roses had to go and make way for natives etc . The space i have left now will only be for my favourite roses . I have tried Parole , my sisters and mother loved it and it was nice but the flowers just didn't grab me , too big maybe , too ungainly , but no doubt a lovely healthy rose , haven't tried the others , thanks will have a look at them ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 5th June 2012, 22:49

OOOPPS suburban !!!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 5th June 2012, 23:08

thats alright maree...you could have gone back into that post and edit it, and no-one will have been the wiser..... Smile
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum