Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Tips on growing DA's northern Nsw

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tips on growing DA's northern Nsw

Post by neptune on 17th May 2012, 23:16

We have...
April Hamer
Our Roseamond
Governor Macquarie
Lets Celebrate
Alicia Courage
In The Pink(Flori)
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 18th May 2012, 05:12

roseman wrote:Ok as they say Mel don't go down without a fight, so I brought in some help from a friend.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wow david .. thanks for the link .. love DA garden Smile
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 18th May 2012, 06:02

Bruce your post does not need reply as far as I am concerned only that the thread is named "tips for growing DA's in northern NSW."
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 18th May 2012, 08:54

Bruce
Whist agreeing with you regarding ozzie roses I do not agree that Alister Clarks roses are breed for Australian conditions. Victorian maybe but we are slowly removing a lot of them from our place.
Some are great (the smaller ones like Boarderer and Suitor) but most do not like the heat and suffer badly from Blackspot or grow to fast and suffer with reduced flowering. Maybe its just me but I refuse to be a slave to my garden and if you need to spend half you life spraying and pruning it just isn't enjoyable.
Similar with the Riethmuller though not to the same extent. They grow great in Toowoomba but not so good at my place. Again a bit of spraying etc would probably help but if Teas, Chinas and Noisettes can survive without it then you have to consider that the other roses are just not bred for the conditions.
This is the same attitude that I have with DAs growing up our way. If you only have a few and you don't mind the work then maybe you can get them to look ok. I don't think you will ever get them to grow like they do in the UK but from the video clip it sure did look impressive. I guessit is up to us to show that ozzie roses (or roses suited for where you live) can look as good.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by sallybcs on 19th May 2012, 09:25

I agree with Balinbear, Australia is very large with a range of climate zones. There will be a variety of roses that suit one area and not another. Not all of the Alister Clark roses are bullet proof here.

15 minutes is not far enough from the coast to escape humidity, I wish! You need to be somewhere on the other side of the dividing range.

For what it is worth Mel, I order some DA's every year in the hope that they will do well. I don't pamper them enough to have great success, but I do have some survivors, with a little care I think they would do well. By best performer is the Crocus Rose, it doesn't seem to get Blackspot, but does get ugly leaves by winter, I think it the Cerc...?? disease, sorry can't remember the spelling. It maintains enough leaves to flower regularly and is a good size. Abraham Darby has a few magnificent blooms every year, but it is being overtaken by a salvia that is only supposed to be 1 metre high!! This however hides the ugly leaves and lack of flowers later in the season. I sometimes think that in this region we should think of late Autumn, Winter and early Spring as our rose growing time and forget about the flowers in Summer.

I think they require lots of feeding, potash of sulphate and far more watering than I am prepared to do. I really think that watering is important for the DA's. Also you will have to spray, don't bother with the organic stuff, a whole pile of mucking around for disappointing results, if you want them clean go for the chemicals. As mentioned above take precautions. I sometimes wonder though if the chemicals are much worse than some of the house hold cleaners that we handle just as regularly, particularly bathroom cleaners, nothing I've ever used in the garden has made me feel as bad as Exit Mould. Just saying the name makes me feel light headed. I don't really do any of these things, I'm too lazy, but I hang on to the DA's for those few beautiful flowers every year.

Also I think Clair Austin was only released in Oz last year so reports on its repeat and bloom quality may not be reports on its full potential. I think that some of them need a little more maturity in the garden before you really know about the quality of the blooms.

Sorry for the long post. Stick them in the ground and go for it. Good luck and let us know how you go.

sallybcs

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum