by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Rosa Gallica Complicata

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rosa Gallica Complicata

Post by blueochre on 8th April 2012, 14:34

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I fell in love with Rosa Gallica Complicata last November when In Tasmania. The rose was in full bloom in the coachman’s cottage garden at Brickenden where I stayed the night.

Naturally I want to have it in my garden here in Perth WA, however I am unsure as to the best place to locate it in the garden given our long hot summers. My reference rose would be a now established Rosa Dupontii which gets the full afternoon sun and tends to suffer with some leaf scorch during January. Though it copes better each year and has put on lots of healthy new growth since our January heat wave this year.

Most references state that Rosa Gallica Complicata is a hardy adaptable rose and is one of those roses found growing unattended in old cemeteries so that indicates it is fairy tough.

I am interested to know others experiences with this rose and whether it is best grown with afternoon shade.

Regards
David

blueochre

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-04-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Rosa Gallica Complicata

Post by Guest on 8th April 2012, 15:25

David if you put it where it would recieve full sun untill lunch time and then dappled light after that you should be OK. I am from sthn NSW and our summers can get to over 40C , Gallica officinalis in those conditions grows well.

Back to top Go down

Post by blueochre on 9th April 2012, 10:45

I too have Gallica officinalis, however it did not come to mind as it has been slow to establish and flourish. Having said that it has survived in a section of the garden that does not get a lot of water and has been sorely neglected. I must give her more attention and see if I can coax some blooms out of her this spring. I weeded around her on Saturday and was surprised at how well she had done in spite of my neglect and yes I did have a guilty pang when I had tidied up around her.

blueochre

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum