Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Hello Fellow Rose Lovers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello Fellow Rose Lovers

Post by blueochre on 4th April 2012, 21:40

Hello,

I stumbled across this site while looking for a David Austin rose Heavenly Rosalind.

I have been a rose nut since childhood, when I first collected my uncles HT cuttings as 16 years of age and struck them in a bed I had prepared.

I would not like to count the many different roses I have purchased, moved, lost and purchased again. Some have stuck with me through trials and tribulation (read periods of distraction or neglect) and never fail to be show stoppers each year.

The last few years have been dedicated to trees. You would be surprised at how many Washington Hawthorns one can fit on a suburban block (I won't embarrass myself with the actual number).

I have done the Piet Oudolf thing, which saw a purge of roses to make way for sweeping borders of perennials and grasses, which looked great for a while but required far more maintenance time and water than I had...still those few old roses from the start continued to shine.

So this year it is back to my first love....the rose. The twenty year gardening journey at my home has not been in vain as many lessons as to what works and what does not have been learned. There are so many beautiful roses that with limitless space and perfect weather I would want them all, however in Middle Swan WA I now know that Tea Roses, Noisettes and David Austins thrive with the long hot summers, where black spot and fungal diseases are virtually nonexistent.

I could not imagine life without my garden and I canít wait for Friday when I begin the renovation of my front garden (again)

David

blueochre

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-04-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello Fellow Rose Lovers

Post by neptune on 4th April 2012, 21:57

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]...and welcome toRose Talk Aust......may you enjoy your stay and feel free to ask questions
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by blueochre on 4th April 2012, 22:12

thanks for the welcome neptune....a fellow west ozer

blueochre

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 5th April 2012, 05:58

David, thanks for telling us bit about your love/journey with the queen of flowers. I guess this might be asking for a lot, any chance of a shot of your roses. I wonder David how many roses you have ?.
Isn't it funny if one starts early with roses they seem to stay in the blood, sometimes dormant for years and then resurface down the track, so to speak.
Just off topic for a minute, we were being over run by canetoads(no offence meant), now it appears that the sandgropper(no offence meant) is starting an overthrow. You know I am not biased, but NSW is best. cheers

Last edited by roseman on 5th April 2012, 06:02; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition of more words)
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 5th April 2012, 09:11

Sandgropers rock !! Mexican Wave
Welcome to Rose Talk. Dance
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 5th April 2012, 09:38

Welcome to our forum David, I hope you have fun here.
We are a friendly bunch.
Cheers
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: