Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by rosehip on 8th March 2012, 22:14

Hello from a newbie. A couple of hundred rose plants 5+ years old, mostly hybrid teas, David Austins, old local climbers, only grow scented roses. 470 metres elevation, sea views to the east, mostly NE aspect, 1500 mm average rainfall, frost free, SE prevailing winds, winter westerlies. Very wet at present. Not many leaves on come poor plants. Whittling down the black spot toughies that will grow here relatively easily. Eclectic collection in garden as well as the roses. English Oaks, Spanish Chestnuts, persimmon, frangipanis, gardenias, 80 different fruit trees, macadamias, natives such as Stenocarpus spp, Brachychiton spp, azaleas, grevilleas, leptospermums, lots of tree ferns, crows nest ferns, and epiphytes. I think I counted 450 trees and shrubs in the house garden the other day, much to my amazement.
I look forward to gleaning the "good oil" your collective knowledge and experiences.
rosehip

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: New Member

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 8th March 2012, 22:19

Not a bad collection, rosehip. If I may does rosehip have a Christian name by chance.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by rosehip on 8th March 2012, 22:23

Joined at the "'hip" Sally is the main rose enthusiast. Steve tends to be the mulch and fertiliser and dig guy and cut the grass.......
rosehip

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 8th March 2012, 22:28

Thanks Sally and your side kick Steve. We(all of us) hope you enjoy our little forum. Don't hesitate to ask anything or even better put your knowledge on here so others may learn if that is ok. Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by rosehip on 8th March 2012, 22:31

Thankyou roseman for your warm welcome.
rosehip

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 8th March 2012, 22:34

Haha well after all the lovely plants you just listed, PLEASE share your secrets! You're talkin my language, and I am here to listen... Wink
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 8th March 2012, 22:39

Welcome Sally and Steve.
It does make life so much easier if it's a two person effort *sighs*

Umm, pardon my ignorance but I don't know which state Curramore is in. I'm guessing perhaps northern NSW or perhaps somewhere in QLD.
At your elevation I guess the flooding is not a major worry for you atm.

Look forward to seeing pics of your garden.

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by rosehip on 8th March 2012, 22:43

Hello Gootchie girl. I've just been reading about your wet feet. I hope that Ed is OK. We're at the top of the hill here, but have been replacing flood fences here and getting the last wayward cattle back to their correct paddocks.
We transplanted many of these trees when we left our old family farm 6 years ago, and many were already here. Only real "secret" is a flock of 50 or so meat sheep that we fold at night and collect the manure for flower, fruit and vege. gardens.
rosehip

Back to top Go down

Post by rosehip on 8th March 2012, 22:51

Hello Rosalie
Curramore is in SE Qld. We are directly above and about 20 km inland as the crow flies from Caloundra. Can see Moreton Island and Brisvegus to the South on a clear day and the Kenilworth and Gympie lights at night to the North.The water from the farm flows north into Walli Ck, then into the Mary River. We look NE to the rear of Mapleton Falls and Montville, North to Kenilworth and Gheerulla, West to the Conondale ranges and South to Brisbane. Will send pics when I figure out just how. Cheers. Just noticed how far away in geographical terms you are. It's 9.53 here. What is your time?

Last edited by rosehip on 8th March 2012, 22:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition and spelling.)
rosehip

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 8th March 2012, 23:44

Rosalie is two hours behind you and on the weekend I might go and look for acreage......I so do need a bush change.........

Oh! and by the way Sally....a warm welcome to you and Steve to the forum and I hope you enjoy your stay
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 9th March 2012, 00:17

Hey fellow queenslanders... oh what we wouldn't give for a hill! Welcome aboard.. if I may be so... so... water metaphoric! Don't know if that phrase even makes sense! Lights of Brisvegas hey..... mmmmmmmm.......
Well, it's an ideal chance to test rose hardiness.... you see that all you guys???? send em up, if they survive I'll give em 10 points for hardiness Qld style... Climbing Jessica, bonica (of course) Ballerina, souvenir de malmaisons... Flying Colours... Cherokee Rose, Sunny South... and even my wee new moss rose (so far) have passed the test! Dorothy Perkins was tipped upside down and found a couple of days later.... friends, rose gardeners, send us your roses!

we will take them to hell and back... and let you know who survives!
What do you reckon mate??????
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rosehip on 9th March 2012, 00:20

Thankyou neptune for your warm welcome. We have only lived in the city or a town to complete any tertiary studies many years ago. I think that I would go troppo if I had to live in the 'burbs now. They would kick me out anyway for making noise at 5.00 am or mucking about late at night in the shed. Although at the moment the beeping flying foxes in the persimmon tree outside my window can now retire to another place other than here. I suppose with both of us with the one username We should say who is online at that time. This is Steve the nightowl by the way.
rosehip

Back to top Go down

Post by rosehip on 9th March 2012, 00:27

Good evening Lildeb, up a bit late tonight? I know I am. Yes, our roses are looking a bit bedraggled at present. The David Austins in general and bush roses seem to be the most healthy, followed by some climbers- Blue Moon climber is probably doing the best. When we get some time we'll go through what we began with and give a survival score. I think we started with about 60 or so different ones. Off to bed to the frog chorus here. Night.
rosehip

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 9th March 2012, 00:49

LOL Deb. Very Happy

Sally, if I am 2 hours behind you then John [neptune] is gunna be 2& 1/4 hours behind you because he is a flatlander that lives down on the coast sunny but we won't hold that against him Hug

John , Allanson is nice and at one of the highest points in the Darling Range , flooding is not a serious concern.
Roses grow pretty well too .....

Luv to see some pics of your garden Sally - when you figure it out lol.
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 9th March 2012, 00:50

Hi Steve.
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 9th March 2012, 00:53

@ Rosalie...does Allanson have ground water or dam...roses need water toooooooooooooooo.......
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 9th March 2012, 00:58

We have a good bore but scheme water is also available ....
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 10th March 2012, 12:03

Hi Sally and Steve,
I do hope you enjoy the forum.
You must have a HUGE garden, how much land do you have.
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum