by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

» When should I pot up my cuttings?
by neptune 14th May 2017, 23:14

The yearlings

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The yearlings

Post by Ozeboy on 15th April 2012, 08:32

I still like Q/E x Curley Pink better, possibly my taste is towards good bloom uniformity.

Puzzle #1. Perhaps you can help? I aquired a very healthy pink rose that makes a lot of hips, grows bushy to about 1500 H x 1000 W.
So healthy in fact, it was growing extremely well on poor ground in a paddock covered in weeds. Blooms are similar to the last pix above.
What it is who knows?

I have trialled it and found o/p seeds germinate well, seedling growth is very good up until 12 months then about 90% die or stop growing. No! it's not due to neglect, they just stop growing. Those that survive are given to visitors rather than destroy them. This appears to be a chromosome problem so I have pollinated all blooms with a variety of
Tetraploids to see what will happen. I'm interested in finding mates for this rose so will trial it with Triploid and Diploid pollen if this dosn't work.

You are probably thinking, why bother, it's because this rose is so healthy it would probably grow in the middle of the road. Further more it is a problem I want to solve.

Warren I know you have a great deal of experience so thought you might recognise the problem despite all the unknowns.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15th April 2012, 09:10

Hi Ozeboy, the problems I have seen with genetic incompatabilty is when they are young seedlings. They seem to struggle and some just curl their toes up and die, but after 3 mths they sort themselves out and power away. There are a lot of roses, yes even the ones from the big gun breeders in the USA and Europe where dieback occurs down the cane to the bud union.

The rose which you aquired may be a a hybrid of some sort, resulting in the problems you are having or it being fertilized by a diploid/ triploid in the area. You will have to have a look around the area.

Why bother if it is healthy, thats what we as breeders go for, your rose has health and vigour, just what you need. I would n't worry about flower structure as it can be rectified quite quickly compared to health and vigour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th April 2012, 19:30

Maybe its not worth posting on here Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 18th April 2012, 20:27

? Sorry I've been remiss in my drooling. Been busy. Sad

Btw.. I liked the 2nd one. (Baronne x Lyon)
Wink
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1358
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: