» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Belated 'Hello' from Lildeb

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Belated 'Hello' from Lildeb

Post by lildeb on 6th January 2012, 17:56

Okay this is very belated as I have been a bit too awkward and unsure about how to do all this, but... I am a newbie who loves roses, especially the lovely old roses, and I have lived in South East Queensland for the last 6 years, where roses are not a big 'thing'. After looking through some of the topics etc I am feeling very ignorant, but would love to learn as much as I can about growing, propagating... oh... just more about roses!
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Belated 'Hello' from Lildeb

Post by Admin on 6th January 2012, 18:44

Hey Deb,

Welcome! Thing about roses is we all had to start somewhere and you'll be surprised how quickly you will pick it up and how much you actually have to offer. There are quite a few banana benders on here so I'm sure between you all you'll be able to disprove the theory that you can't grow roses in Qld Wink

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 6th January 2012, 19:01

Yep, the last time I was up in QLD's Gold Coast, I met up with a few rosarians who grew roses to perfection up there! As a matter of fact, it was the first time I met with the daughter of a famous VIC rosarian who happens to holiday up there frequently. The only exception was the New Farm Park which had lots of HTs which were not at their best at the time.

Welcome on board - I'm sure you will bring a wealth of your own experiences to enhance this forum.
RitaG

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 7th January 2012, 22:50

Well you CAN definitely grow beautiful roses up here, but it all goes a lot quicker and more efficiently if you don't also have milking goats... or should I say, I assume it all would, the poor roses have had far more intense prunings than they were ever bred to cope with.. But, they had beautiful blooms this year, and some are still showing off..Smile
I really love the huge old rambling roses, and out here on 40 acres, there is no such thing as 'too big'.. and let's face it, any rose that tried to escape over the fence of our 2 acre house yard would have to outrun 15 goats and 3 sheep... tongue
lildeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 8th January 2012, 08:30

Lildeb
You would have similar weather where you are to where we are (Sunshine Coast hinterland but not up on the hills). Teas, Nosettes,chinas and Hybrid Musks are our favorites. They handle the weather, don't need to be sprayed and just look magnificent.

If you have the time a bit of fetilizer helps. Ours don't see a lot of it but if you have decent enough soil they grow anyway. The again some of our soil is supposed to be putrid for roses and the Teas still grow great.
Welocome to Rosetalk. Hope you pick up a few things.
Gary
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb on 8th January 2012, 12:53

Thanks Gary, I am always raking and using goat manure with a dash of dolomite, the wonderful thing about our weather is that manure breaks down and composts really fast. So everybody gets fed well. I have had to raise a lot of the gardens because most of the farm is on creek flats, with quite a few oxbow lakes where the creek has changed course. When it rains the water from the neighbours comes racing down our driveway and adds to the flooding. In the dry we have 40 acres, but when it floods, we have about 5, and magnificent water views! The Noisette roses do flourish here, and ones like 'Flying Colours', Cherokee Rose' etc,as well.. My Centifolia hasn't quite gotten settled still so I need to find out a bit more of what she needs, I am growing some cuttings of the Bishop, another Centifolia, so I hope I have it worked out by the time they are ready...
We are not fer from you, about an hour up maybe... 5 km north of Glenwood.
Smiles,
Deb
lildeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top