Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Hello from Pakenham Upper Vic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Pakenham Upper Vic

Post by cabrissi on 31st December 2011, 19:58

I've been surfing the site and learning for a few days now so I thought I should introduce myself.

My name is Amanda, we're in Pakenham Upper Vic on a small property. The garden here is mainly 80 year old rhododendrons which were in a state of neglect when we moved in. I've been slowly working on it since! We don't have a tremendous area for roses as most of it is heavy shade but having moved here from Michigan (where gardens were known as "very expensive deer food") I am eager to maximize wherever I can tuck them in. I'd be considered very much a novice - more eagerness than experience, albeit I do tend to be obsessive on trying to research as much as I can. The soil is heavy clay (it wears army boots - we've broke a mattock on it) which is slowly being improved. We've got sheep, rabbits and neighbors cows that visit to mow the paddocks back down to sheep height who are happy to contribute to the organic improvement and big compost bays. LOL Other than the garden I am very into my dogs (3 Australian Shepherds, 1 BC and a demonspawn of a Kelpie/JRT) and dog sports, taking pictures and puttering around with my kids.

My rose collection is rather small at the moment... the newest are The Fairy, Julia's Rose, Hot Chocolate, Jude the Obscure, Leander which were gotten as discounted $2 post bare roots last year. They are much happier now though and growing well. Honey Djion was a newbie as well but has put up some flowers. Veilchenblau is along the front fence, though the recent storm spoiled it's display before I got a good shot. I also have...
Mother's Love (in nicer weather and pink after a chill)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Unknown (Brandy maybe? I'm totally guessing on this one, it was here when we moved in though in the WORST possible place you could put a rose but it's tough, it's pretty, it strikes well and it smells just lovely.)
Crepuscule, given to me as a cutting by a lovely person
Honey Djion
Golden Moments - another dollar rescue, gone gonzos given a bit of food and nicer digs.
and this little one which was another bargin bin rescue - one of the little Parade series, "Breeze" maybe?

So that's me for now. I'm busy researching new roses to decide what I will buy come next bare-root season and where I will put it, so I can make the new beds. Smile

cabrissi

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Pakenham Upper Vic

Post by Barbara B on 31st December 2011, 20:09

Hi Amanda,
welcome to the forum and what a nice collection of roses you have so far.
I'm a doggy person too, what dogsports are you doing? I do obedience and tracking with GSD's and shelties.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 1st January 2012, 01:45

Hi Amanda,

I think we have met somewhere else???? A chicken forum or a rabbit forum maybe????

Welcome aboard Smile The breeder of 'Honey Dijon', Jim Sproul, is a member here. He'd be chuffed to here how his rose is doing so far from home in the U.S.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cabrissi on 1st January 2012, 11:16

Hi Barbara, we do flyball (Hastings) and train/instuct obedience there as well, a bit of herding as well as agility with Action Dogs. Hoping to be back in the show ring later this year with the newest little man as well. Smile

Hi Simon,
Very possible on the rabbit or chook front - I have both - but I'm leaning towards poultry from memory. LOL BYP methinks? How cool to have HD's breeder here - it's my favorite for colour! Unlike so many I have the initial 'wow, love that!' moment seeing and then research to find out they're not very good doers HD is as tough as it is lovely!

cabrissi

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 1st January 2012, 13:00

Welcome Amanda! It's amazing just how much in common besides rose growing some people have on this forum!

There appears to be many who are owned by loving furry creatures here whether they be canines, felines, chickens, rabbits or ferrets.

I too used to train/instuct in obedience at two ABKCs and who knows, I may end up doing it again now that I have a new GSD girl who so far, is getting on fine with the six Isa Browns.

Perhaps you or Simon can post the link to the chook forum here please - I'm new to the game of growing eggs so have a lot to study
RitaG

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 1st January 2012, 13:08

One of the most important chores of the day for my Borders is "putting the chooks to bed".
lol!
The Rhode Island Reds were pretty good with the dogs. The Isas.... well, they usually get a little stroppy and require 2 dogs. "Little Miss Independents" they are. Razz
Still working on the ducks - have only had them a few weeks. Wink
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 1st January 2012, 13:45

That must be such a sight to behold. I've heard about Borders doing such chores around the farm, but, I'm not game just yet Wendy. I know that as a Shepherd she has the right instincts and you can see her brain ticking away whenever I walk her into the chook run (on lead). Its a form of 'herding' so in time, when the natural ground cover plantings are robust enough to withstand the little misses foraging around, I will let them out to roam free, and then I will train her to keep an eye on them. She is so quick on the uptake! She is already learning to keep on the grass and not step foot onto the garden beds!

Yes, you are right about IBs being a little independent but some are getting used to & liking me picking them up. Shiloh pokes her nose into their run - and it comes out intact, for now, two of them have their full beaks, and the smaller one, Miss Bossie Boots, is getting rather game Temptation

Amanda, I meant to say that you look like you have a great mix of plants amongst your roses, or is it the other way around ATM?
RitaG

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 1st January 2012, 14:05

We have 20 silkie bantams, and then about 10 cross-breed large breeds (buff orp x RIR crosses, brahma x (rir x buff orp) crosses, and rock x (buff orp x RIR) crosses left over from when I had pure lines of each) and the dogs don't ever worry them unless they come onto the verandah. Then they are hunted off. That's something my border x learnt himself by watching us hunt them off... he took over and we are pleased he is showing some initiative lol

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 1st January 2012, 15:01

Hi Rita G,
we also have a new GSD girl Sally - she's four and a half months old - we got her from Tahmoor, NSW. (There's another coincidence.) I also have instructed at obedience schools and last year we were members at Hastings too. We're at the GSDCV now because of the pup. Our paths may have crossed without us ever knowing. I would have had shelties at Hastings.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 1st January 2012, 15:02

Sorry, the second part of my last letter was for Cabrissi.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 1st January 2012, 15:03

You do have to be careful - I don't let one of my dogs into the run. Her instinct to stop the birds rushing past me by grabbing at them doesn't really fill me with confidence...!
I think you need to be even more careful than with sheep because one bite and you could have a dead bird. Sheep are a little bigger. Wink
My rules were: 1) They weren't allowed near prey animals until I had a very good sit/stop/recall under stress.
2) The first few times with the chooks they were on leads - of various lengths. (I used the long 20' lead that I use when starting them on sheep)
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by cabrissi on 1st January 2012, 15:30

Rita I'm often surprised how small the web seems to make the world. LOL Quite often I either know someone from multiple places or else I've found out someone I'm friends with in dogs is related to someone I know from aquariums/art/chooks/gardening etc! LOL The website would be Backyard Poultry... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and it's forums.

My chooks are pretty well behaved - you tell them to go to bed and they hop in. Mind you they're pretty tame. We mostly stick to sheep with the dogs - though we've also done ducks and at one point my neighbors bull after he plowed through the fencing and into my garden. (The things we do for our flowers!!!) We do a lot of dry work for directionals, listening etc. They are not allowed to stress the animals they are working and we aim for working very quietly... esp important with ducks. Not only are they more delicate but a duck who feels too pressured by a dog that is moving them quickly, using really strong eye or pushing into their space too much will simply give up, lay down and wait to be killed. Never something you want to make an animal you care for feel.

Barbara - how funny, what a small world! The GSDCV is at KCC right? Same as Southern?

Rita it's a bit of a mix atm... the roses are intended to be the feature with everything else to frame/enhance them and help keep away bugs/weeds/disease. (Well... I hope! Likely to place for top design at Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show I am not. Embarassed) But I tried to plant with how big things would mature in mind... so for example atm there are big gaps at the back currently occupied by a couple of scrawny sticks I struck from cuttings I was given that optimistically call themselves Butterfly Bushes with some quicker growing weed supression. Laughing Hopefully looks nice when mature even if it's a bit lopsided now!

cabrissi

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 1st January 2012, 17:07

Hello and welcome Amanda. I have Kelpies and I have bred the same line for 28 years.
I hope everyone here had a very lovely Christmas and New Year !

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 1st January 2012, 17:36

Amanda.. I think it might have been an aquarium forum I have met you on before. David Midgey and I started the first Australia aquarium discussion boards about 17 years ago now.. mine was the Australian Dwarf Cichlid Discussion forum (now closed down) and and his was the Sydney Cichlid Discussion forum (now A.C.E). I still keep aquariums (cichlids and Betta)...Have chooks, keep rabbits, and breed roses LOL

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 1st January 2012, 19:02

Simon, you sure have had exprience with running forums.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 1st January 2012, 19:06

Our first Boarder used to round up the neighbours chooks and take them home in the afternoon. They used to wander into our place and she used to keep them under control.
She also used to round up our kids when they we little and make sure they did not get away from us.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar on 1st January 2012, 21:26

Hi Amanda welcome you have some lovely roses, honey dijon is one I am looking at aquring at some point, how resistant is it to BS? Tamara
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by cabrissi on 1st January 2012, 23:04

Hi Simon,
I think I was on Aus Aquarium Forums briefly but mostly just to read. In the US I used to have various tanks with severum, catfish (pictus and mystus) and small scale (10-20g) planted aquariums. I've only been on planted tank related ones since moving to Aus and not recent... kids and everything else nixed the time to fuss over them every day. Just have a couple of goldfish now.

Rosemeadow - that's an awesome achievement. I can't imagine the joy in being able to follow your line and know so much about it. I've been involved in Aussies a fair while but even so still so much to learn about the lines, how they tend to produce etc.

Tamara I haven't had much trouble with BS in general... HD has been about average there, gets a few leafs occasionally. I was advised to get it from somewhere reputable though vs trying to grow from cuttings. Much better than Julia's which is next to it though and sulks (and I bought despite KNOWING this from the previous house... Dooh) but not as effortlessly bombproof as crepscule, brandy or golden moments for example. It's been relatively slow-growing though which I think may be down to the spot it's in and that it's such heavy clay (even with improvement) and it's probably still establishing having only been planted this past bare-roots season.

Last edited by cabrissi on 1st January 2012, 23:07; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling ~_~)

cabrissi

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 1st January 2012, 23:14

Probably BYP then Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cabrissi on 1st January 2012, 23:32

Probably! I was trying to recall... TasV am I right?

cabrissi

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 1st January 2012, 23:40

yep Smile Haven't been there in ages

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 2nd January 2012, 09:14

Amanda, your family, both human and furry looks fantastic. Well done! You must have so much energy and to still be able to create a beautiful, lush garden! Like Karen, I can see that you are one amazing woman!
RitaG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum