» Hi, I am new here :)
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:09

» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

HM x Tea... I'm liking it so far!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HM x Tea... I'm liking it so far!

Post by Admin on 23rd December 2011, 19:53

This one flowered today. It's 'Trier' x 'Marie van Houtte'. It has a lovely perfume, doesn't like downy mildew (see the spots... I'm guessing in a warmer climate it would be pretty clean as it does not seem to get black spot but powdery mildew might be an issue... downy mildew doesn't like the heat), and it will be a BIG rose I think. Flowering as early as it has I'm hoping it will be fully remontant.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There are three seedlings from this cross that I've kept. Another is due out in a few days and will also be big and the third has stayed quite small so far (compared to this one who is about 30cm long already).

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HM x Tea... I'm liking it so far!

Post by Guest on 23rd December 2011, 20:13

It's gorgeous Simon.

If you need someone to test it out in a hotter climate .. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 23rd December 2011, 21:04

Simon

HMx Tea should give some interesting reults.

How large is the flower and do you think it will stay white. Is your Trier very yellow?

One of our MVH (cutting from the monster up the back) was flowering white for a while when it was hot and dry. As soon as it started raining the pink came back.

The perfume from the HM side I presume. MVH does not have a real strong perfume to it.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 23rd December 2011, 22:09

Thanks, Leticia Smile This seedling will go into the ground over the next few weeks to let it get some size on. After about two or three years I'll be looking for a few different test locations to see if my hunch is right. It's a long road through testing I'm afraid.

Gary, being the first flower it is difficult to say what it will be like when mature. So far it is only about 5cm across. There is a very good chance that once in the ground it will increase in size and also gain more petals. It could also change colour as it matures. I am tipping it will develop pink tinges in much the same way as MVH does. 'Trier' is very white for me down here. At times it can have a pink cast to it but on the whole it is sometimes creamy but mostly white.

My MVH is quite the chameleon. Early in the season it puts out white flowers. This is when the mornings are still around -1 and frosts are still occuring. By the end of spring it is putting out creamy flowering with pink edges and tips. At the moment it is more like an even pink/cream blend. It's flowering is slowing down at the moment and our days are sitting around the 27-30 degree mark. Nights are still cool and dropping to 10-12 degrees. The rain never really goes away here but it is in a very inhospitible part of the garden on a steep slope so water runs off past it more than soaking in. It suffered water stress at this time of the year in its younger days but is now getting its roots down deeper where there is more permanent water. I'm expecting her to take off next year now that her roots are getting down deeper into the good stuff.

The perfume does come from the HM side though it seems to be hit-and-miss in how it is passed on because I have about 7-8 'Trier' x 'Monsieur Tillier' seedlings coming on (all white so far too) that seem to lack perfume completely (so far). The 'Trier' x 'Mutabilis' seedlings also seem to lack perfume.

Time will tell Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by newforold on 24th December 2011, 15:19

Simon, it sounds lovely. I like big roses! MVH does very well here, so I assume a daughter of hers would, too.
Balinbear, I am relieved to read your comment that MVH has little scent. Mine doesn't either, but when I purchased it about 15 years ago, it was described as 'very fragrant'. I always thought that there was something wrong with either me or the rose!
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 28th December 2011, 23:34

This is the second of three seedlings from the same cross to flower. This one looks more like 'Trier' than MVH. Could well be a self. Cleaner plant so far too. The flower here is 2 days old.

Last edited by Simon on 29th December 2011, 09:01; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 29th December 2011, 09:00

This morning the above seedling has flushed pink in the heat just as MVH does for me here. This tells me it is not self but definately a successful cross. The flower is now three days old.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 29th December 2011, 16:26

Nice one Thumbsup
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 5th January 2012, 02:09

I've discarded the second one. It's perfume was terrible! I've never smelt a rose I did not like before... until I smelt this one! Would have to have called it 'Skunk's Bum' Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 5th January 2012, 16:59

Maybe not then Simon, pity it looked pretty.

Mind you I have never smelt a "skunks Bum" so I can only imagine lol!
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum