» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Hello from SEQ

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Case Closed Hello from SEQ

Post by Mangohead on 3rd December 2011, 14:59

GDay I was doing some research yesterday regarding growing roses from seed and I found RTA. Fantastic info. Thanks to Simon (I think??). You look a friendly, (and knowledgable), mob so I thought I might join in.

We are situated on 10 acres half way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. We grow fantastic rocks in our gorgeous clay soil. Despite this, I seem to have had quite a bit of luck with growing roses. I'm a very 'olfactory-kinda-gal', so fragrance is very important for me. My knowledge regarding roses is very limited so I hope to gain new insights from you guys.

Our gardens are extending out all the time. I am currently working on building a potager garden. Roses are interspersed throughout all the garden beds. They are always a source of delight. Anyway that's enough from me.... Blah Blah Blah

I look forward to chatting with you all....................Mangohead
Mangohead

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-12-02

Back to top Go down

Case Closed Re: Hello from SEQ

Post by Admin on 3rd December 2011, 15:46

Welcome aboard Thumbsup It's a team effort here. I just provide the facilities and the rest of you guys provide the info Wink I look forward to seeing more of your gardens.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 3rd December 2011, 17:28

Hello Mangohead , welcome from us here in Western Australia .
I am afraid you have strayed into Baaaad company .... no sorry that should read GOOOOOOD [ roses are good] company that could have a bad influence on you roflmao

Rocks and roses and clay soil = good combination if you have the water and organic material to bring it all together.
I grew incredible roses in red/grey really sticky clay with lots of rocks down in Donnybrook back in another lifetime . Couldn't dig it or walk on it in winter , definitely couldn't dig it in summer but the addition of lots of cow manure , shredded paper and gypsum turned it into something resembling a really rich horticultural christmas cake .

I shall look forward to hearing and seeing more about your roses , and especially your descriptions of your scented ones .

cheers. Oz
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 3rd December 2011, 21:05

Mangohead

Welcome from us on the the Sunshine Coast. We aren't as bad as OzRose makes out.

OzRose

Was that Donnybrook in Queensland?
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 3rd December 2011, 21:14

Nope that was Donnybrook in Western Australia. Very Happy
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 3rd December 2011, 21:37

I was going to say. I doubt you would find any rocks or clay for that matter in Donnybrook Qld. Its about 2 feet above sealevel and all sand.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangohead on 3rd December 2011, 22:28

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Yes, I did wonder about Donnybrook, however I noted that Ozrose said "down in Donnybrook' so I took that to mean somewhere in south WA.

Ozrose, I'm doing my BA through Curtin Uni - so most of my tutors are based in WA...although my current tutor is somewhere in Switzerland finishing an artist in residence contract. She will be back in January. Don't you just love the internet? Very Happy

We aren't on town water here, so we rely on harvesting our own. The first few years were tough because we were filling our tanks virtually from scratch (except for the carted water when we started building) and we were in a pretty bad drought at the time. Now we have heaps of water. In fact, I feel sorry for the folks on town water who are so restricted with their water use. How are you guys on the Sunny Coast finding the privatization of water up there? sunny
Mangohead

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th December 2011, 06:12

A welcome from David(roseman) GDay Post any question and/ or comment and I am sure you will get some answers.
Now lets get down to business, a couple of things need to be sorted out here
1. Your username 'mangohead' is nice as usernames go, BUT, I think your Christian name is lovely, may we refer to you by it.
1.1 What is the good looking avatars name Question
2. Any chance of listing some/all your roses.

Another Qlder, it's time I went through our member list and checked numbers, I think the canetoads are overtaking, it was the sandgroper up until last week. NSW is being overrun roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangohead on 4th December 2011, 07:14

Hi David (AKA Roseman)
But I'm such a Mangohead!! lol! If you would prefer to call me by my given name that is ok.

The good looking chap is Angus - a dachshund.... my wingman.

I really don't think I have any roses that are too spectacular I'm afraid. I should do up a list for my own records (I've started doing that with everything now).

I learnt heaps yesterday just from reading some of the old posts... you folks are a collective fountain of knowledge. I found I learnt more here in one day than I have from reading any book/magazine on the subject. Well done! We're not worthy
Mangohead

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th December 2011, 11:10

For those that have not met

Mangohead = Andrea

Some will call her Either or Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 4th December 2011, 11:43

Welcome Andrea, Balinbear (Gary) is the guy to take notice of as you are in his area. If I can ever be helpful, just ask.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 4th December 2011, 13:43

The information here is good in that it is made up of first hand accounts from people growing roses in lots of different locations.

If you ask anyone who 'knows anything about roses' they will tell you that growing roses in QLD is a waste of time, and yet here we are with rose growers here putting on display the roses they are clearly growing well and telling us how they do it.

It comes down to growing the right KIND of roses and really this applies everywhere. So as far as knowledge goes, this site is becoming a gold mine of information for people everywhere and I think its a sign of the kind of advice people are getting that we are seeing so many Queenslanders here at the moment and it is a good thing for roses that they are here.

So, Andrea, in terms of being a newb to roses and not thinking you have much to offer, instead think of it as adding to the body of locality specific knowledge that exists here so that others can see what you are growing, your trials and tribulations, and your successes. Then they can make up their own mind as to whether or not this is for them or maybe we can offer you some advice that might help you do something better. I know I have learnt an lot just from reading what others have said after going away and ruminating about it for a while.

I'm science trained, and so I like my data and properly referenced statements but there is definately a lot to be said for first hand annecdotal experiences too and when it comes to that you are the expert in your garden, not me Smile.

Last edited by Simon on 4th December 2011, 21:50; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 4th December 2011, 21:40

Andrea
We are not on reticulated water either so the privatization has not affected us. Those that are complain something chronic.

We grow mostly Teas, Noisettes, Chinas and Hybrid Musks ( see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as we have found that generally (there are exceptions) modern roses are blackspot magnets up this way. Despite what Bruce says I am far from an expert. We have just found the things that work in our garden.

We don't spray and don't fertilise that much either. I guess if we did then possibly the modern roses would grow better but we have a large garden and we simply would not be able to keep up with it all.

Gary
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar on 4th December 2011, 23:06

Hi Andrea welcome,
We are on town water, but most of the time my garden needs to survive on the rainfall it gets, I often don't have much time to spend watering etc. I don't believe in chemicals in the garden and go organic in all I do.
I am a newb as well so I am still learning. Everyone here is very welcoming & helpful to those of us learning the ropes of growing roses.
Cheers Tamara
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangohead on 6th December 2011, 08:14

Hello everyone,

I agree with Simon, choosing the right plants for your climate is pretty important. Having said that, I do occassionally take the 'suck it and see' approach with plants. Where we are is a bit of an anomoly climate wise. We are usually a couple of degrees cooler than the areas around us - Logan, Ipswich, Brisbane and the Gold Coast. We can also get some amazing frosts here too. I am a mad keen weather watcher. I'm always checking the weather online and my own weather station. This year has been far less humid than past years.... and cooler. We badly need some rain however. >8@ The dams are looking a bit sad.

Tamara, I don't water my roses that much either. I fuss over them whilst they are getting established, then I start weaning them off the TLC. After that they only get the basics - like all most of my plants. The only ones that get continual fussing are the edibles - vegetables and fruit trees.

Gary, I love the photos. You have some real beauties there. I know what you mean about not being able to keep up with it all if you have a large garden. My plants get triaged each day and I prioritize my care accordingly. lol!

Speaking of which, I had better crack into it. Oh someone asked about the roses I have, 2 that I have here in my 'house yard' are Kentucky Derby and Blackboy. I'll list the others from around the property when I get a chance. Another one I have which I'm fond of is Firestar, the sales of which raises money for the CFA Victoria. You can read up on it's genesis here:
Embarassed
OOPs apparently NOT! I'm not allowed to put in the link because I'm a newby. Anyway - punch in Rose Firestar and you should find the dedicated website.

Cheers............

Mangohead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum