» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

Simply Amazing Bonica.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Simply Amazing Bonica.

Post by OzRose on 23rd November 2011, 05:43

What an incredibly tough little rose this is and with only very basic care it flowers and flowers.
I have 3 of them but the one that does the best by far is a 3' patio standard that is growing in a large tub .
It used to sit on the verandah but after getting bitten on day whilst pushing past , Kevin shoved it off to sit in the garden bed and when I went to move it yesterday I found the roots have gone through into the ground.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

After the flowers come the hips , especially in the autumn ; it sets them en masse .
I leave them on the bush as they look so pretty and then they provide winter fare for the 28's and rosellas.

But the thing self sows and grows like you wouldn't believe . Rose seedlings come up under it like weeds. Today I took 13 of the biggest ones out from under it[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and potted them up[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I am still at the pottering stage with rose hips /seeds/seedlings and I find it interesting to see what eventuates from O.P

This is a Bonica seedling from a few years ago , flowering again this year ; it has been severely neglected and still in a pot [and even more amazing , still alive ][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] but what intrigues me is , "where does it get it's colour from " ? Most of Bonica's parentage seems to be pale coloured

If I hadn't dug it out of the pot from underneath Bonnie , I'd think I had a piece of Dr Huey growing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]but the good Dr doesn't set seeds [at least not in my garden] I'm figuring that it must be throwing back to the Picasso side of the family.
Anyway I'll be watching the latest crop of seedlings with interest to see what colour changes they might turn out to be.
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Simply Amazing Bonica.

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 23rd November 2011, 06:15

Rosalie, I have just searched study the Picasso side of Bonica and think Hmmmm your right about it. The only other option at present is "what is around it" that the bees might of had a hand in it.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5121
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 23rd November 2011, 12:03

I thoroughly agree, Rosalie. Thumbsup

My Bonica was in a pot for a couple of years. Then unceremoniously dumped into a new garden bed that was mostly raised up around it since it was mostly subsoil. Then I didn't like where it was so the next year yanked it up - rootball and all - and plonked it in the toughest spot possible.... scratched a semi-hole for it in sub-soil clay, back-filled a bit, remembered to water it occasionally, sometimes had some mulch and IT TOOK OFF.
Blooms like a champion and the hips are a fantastic show too (I read somewhere that it wasn't supposed to set hips? HAHAHAHAHAHA)

Here it is now - first flush fading:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 23rd November 2011, 19:43

Bruce once said something interesting about bees. He said the bees prefer pollen that has a high protein content. They certainly prefer some roses over others and I have noticed, informally, that the roses bees seem to freqent the most are those that form OP hips with greater frequency and quantity. Bonica certainly gets its fair share of bee visitors here and I would, personally, not be even trying to work out where the colour came from because in such a case the father could be anything. Ralph Moore has been noted saying that he has seen very few OP seedlings that could not be put down to being selfs. However, sometimes things happen that can neither rule it in or out. This is one of them.

The take-home message from this is:

1. 'Bonica' is awesome
2. 'Bonica' sets seed easily.
3. 'Bonica' seeds germinate like weeds.

The thing I have found after growing OPs and crosses from 'Bonica' is that it also breeds a lot of rubbish. Out of 200ish seedlings from 'Bonica' this year I have already culled about 190 and that's before I've even seen a flower. The mildew issues in them are pretty severe and if they survive the mildew they often become black spot magnets. I have two great seedlings this year that are 'Bonica' x 'Immensee' and so far they are proving healthy. Of the OPs 'Bonica' gave me this year I think I've kept about 10 and after Christmas I intend to weed these down further because they are starting to get black spot. None have flowered yet. So, 'Bonica' is one of those roses that accepts pollen from most things, is a fertile triploid, selfs readily and is one where you need to choose the pollen parent very carefully to get anything worth while and to balance out the flaws in 'Bonica' (which spots quite badly here and suffers about 75% defoliation by autumn). It looks like your seedling, Rosalie, is not a self, but is a bee-seedling instead. It looks like it is a lovely colour. How does its health compare to 'Bonica'?

I've also got 'Bonica' x 'Lorraine Lee' seeds in the fridge now that are not looking like germinating. I intend to put 'Mutabilis' onto 'Bonica' this season to see what that turns up.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar on 23rd November 2011, 21:55

I can't wait to see the first flowers on my 'Bonica' hope it looks half as nice love
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 24th November 2011, 08:30

Very interesting.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 24th November 2011, 18:48

No mildew here Simon and B.S , well that comes and goes ..... just about everything gets it to some degree because I never get around to spraying
**yawn**
Some plants are completely defoliated very quickly by a B.S event.
Some [lots] get spotty on their older lower growth and lose that .
Some hardly get bothered at all.

Of the bushes that do defoliate , I divide them into two classes ......
#1 . That looks manky for the rest of the season [ but doesn't sunburn and die for some reason - look at Julia's Rose]

#2. Refoliates very quickly and just gets on with growing and flowering .

There is also what I deem a sub-group of #2 that drops all their leaves at the mildest attack of B.S and starts afresh with new foliage .

Only bushes that fall into category 1 don't / won't get replaced here . If they cark it, so be it.

OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 24th November 2011, 21:19

So how does this one compare to 'Bonica'? It certainly looks healthy!

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum