by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

A two-toned beauty

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A two-toned beauty

Post by AutumnDamask on 12th November 2011, 10:18

Where do you rank DA's Tess of the d'Urbervilles on your scale?
It's the DA that performs the best here - it's big, clean, healthy, loads of flowers, lovely foliage and sets good hips (I think - I'm watching them all this year with new eyes!). It doesn't seem to get BS and handles the remnants of the Roaring 40s that are left over from Simon's place with ease. Doesn't have loads of perfume but the flowers are consistently good in terms of holding together, lack of damage etc.
It's on my list of "maybe think about breeding with that one" but I'm not sure how it performs in other places. The ones I saw at DA's were inferior to mine. Still reasonably healthy but just not the same VAVOOM :p

ETA: I should also mention that for me Tess performs better than her parent The Squire. That one has taken longer to establish.
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian on 12th November 2011, 11:27

AutumnDamask wrote:Where do you rank DA's Tess of the d'Urbervilles on your scale?
It's the DA that performs the best here - it's big, clean, healthy, loads of flowers, lovely foliage and sets good hips (I think - I'm watching them all this year with new eyes!). It doesn't seem to get BS and handles the remnants of the Roaring 40s that are left over from Simon's place with ease. Doesn't have loads of perfume but the flowers are consistently good in terms of holding together, lack of damage etc.
It's on my list of "maybe think about breeding with that one" but I'm not sure how it performs in other places. The ones I saw at DA's were inferior to mine. Still reasonably healthy but just not the same VAVOOM :p
ETA: I should also mention that for me Tess performs better than her parent The Squire. That one has taken longer to establish.

I think this is the proof which shows second batch of DAs, as described in my post above, performs much better than the first batch. It makes so much more sense to use second batch in breeding programmes because lots of futile hard work and disappointments can be avoided.

Tess is an amazing rose for Australia and I warmly recommend it to anyone who wants a reliable, beautiful, red semi-climber. Unlike Red Pierre, Tess has a character. Very disease free, loads of flowers and all the perks as you say too.

I rate it as highly desirable and worry free rose. I intend to use in breeding programme next year, because yes, it produces magnificent orange hips. However, they taste bitter, unlike Graham Thomas; Graham's hips are simply delicious to eat Smile

So far I have bred one really nice semidouble red rose using Tess quite briefly, using just a few hips, and I'm looking forward to see what that fantastic rose is capable of.
Ozrosarian

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 12th November 2011, 21:41

Ozrosarian, I really like your rose you have posted here and I would like to buy it from you too.
It is really good to read what you have to say, thankyou for sharing your knowledge.
I have some lovely first blooms on my Alister Clarks roses and I am wondering if I will try breeding with these. I think Alister Clark roses have somthing special about each of them, so far anyway.
Thankyou for telling us about Graham Thomas's hips, my daughter and I will try them latter.
Simon, was it Madame Issac Pierre that you said has sweet hips too ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th November 2011, 21:54

yep... MME Issac... has nice hips (LOL)

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl on 13th November 2011, 07:08

Fascinated to read the remarks on Tess OTD. Until now, I've not heard anything much about her and when I was lucky enough to be given a pot of her (thanks Larry) I was sufficiently uncertain to leave her in it for a while until I'd seen some performance. Where I left her was a wildish part of the garden, which was just as well. She rushed through the bottom of the pot and established a huge framework which supports heaps of beautiful flowers in clusters (and the fragrance is good to my nose) and a lush covering of healthy leaves. What a rose!
Somehow I have to cut away the pot and build the garden up around her.And all those fat hips were so tempting, I have a couple of her seedlings coming along in pots already.

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by larryp on 13th November 2011, 11:13

Couldn't agree more with Tess ODB - a wonderful rose. Very vigoruous, disease free and nice fragrance - one of DA's which seems to perform better out here than at home. My new one is growing in a 60 cm pot with a small obelisk on top. She's already outgrowing the pot. Will pop her in the ground next year to replace an underperforming Austin - probably Summer Song which is lanky and stingy with flowes which are unappealing anyway.
I'm no hybridiser, a hobby, or shouds I say vocation, which requires patience and a perserverant quality which I definitely lack but I am surprised when people talk about crossing an Austin with a Tea or whatever that nobody mentions Wise Portia. She's a wonderful rose, Vigorous but neat, lovely maroony color and a gorgeous scent - and she's a wonderful mum, produces hips galore and they're big and juicy. Sometimes I daydream about what a cross with her and jean Ducher would be like - but daydreaming is as far as I get.

Larry
larryp

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian on 13th November 2011, 17:25

One more notion, if it's of interest to anyone: both roses are about 4ft tall now and I can't see now, nor could see during the last several years, a single thorn on either of them. They appear to be thornless.
Ozrosarian

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 14th November 2011, 08:15

Z,
It certainly is of interest to me Clap
You have come up with the perfect roses for me love
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar on 14th November 2011, 16:55

I am happy with both of those qualities,a couple of name suggestions for this two toned purple rose.....Plush Purple, Purple Rush
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 14th November 2011, 17:02

Are you going to sell them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down