» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

KO'd by Knockout

View previous topic View next topic Go down

KO'd by Knockout

Post by Dave on 10th November 2011, 05:50

I bought a potted Knockout a few months back - the single, apple-blossom pink one. I put it in the greenhouse to keep an eye on it. So far I'm impressed, but it's very early days. The pretty flowers last for a long time in the heat and for the last few days it's been about 40 deg in there, with no sign of any scorching etc when everything else went limp and fried. So I'll plant it out in the filthy humidity and see what happens next. Don't hold your breath!

Anyone else growing any of the Knockouts without spraying?
Dave C

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Re: KO'd by Knockout

Post by Ozeboy on 10th November 2011, 10:22

Haven't seen any on display, sounds very healthy. There has been good reviews of it in USA but don't know the localities of those claiming good results.

Looks like very good results when given it the Central Coast heat and humidity test

Where did you buy yours from David?

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 10th November 2011, 16:12

I have 'Knock Out' and 'Double Knock Out'. Both unsprayed. Both clean. Both strong and healthy. Both fairly unsophisticated blooms and a tad boring. 'Double Knockout' is a more refined bloom. Difficult to work with as it's mostly sterile. Forms hips that are generally empty... one or two seeds tops. Pollen doesn't work very well. Can make it work with some effort.

Last edited by Simon on 10th November 2011, 23:16; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 10th November 2011, 18:55

They have a few different ones at Wyee nursery, Bruce.

You beat me to it, Simon - tried pollinating and the hips quickly shrivelled and fell off. I'm selecting more singls for breeding as they usually don't rot and ball. Some of the Teas are pretty bad - just regular morning dew turns them to mush.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 10th November 2011, 23:21

I think, Dave, that breeding singles in is one way to combat this, however, another way is to breed in more substance. I'm not sure a lot of singles have that substance. Most seem to last for only a fleeting moment before they wither and die. Some, like 'Altissimo' seem to have a good 'shelf life' but come with their own set of issues. Did you manage to get that little root-cutting of bracteata to strike I sent you? The petals on bracteata seem to have good substance and being diploid might also work well with the teas.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 11th November 2011, 23:35

Like Simon, I have the Double Knockout which is about a meter tall and is starting to broaden outwards.
neptune

Number of posts : 2406
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 10th January 2012, 00:41

Some photos to knock you out:

'Knock Out'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is a great rose. Probably one of the best I have in terms of plant it and forget it. A bench mark, IMO, for breeders.

'Double Knock Out'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just as good as 'Knock Out' but I find the flowers burn. DKO pollen has worked on my wichurana seedling called 'Bullseye'.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th January 2012, 06:22

Nice photo's of your Knock Out's Simon lol! roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5119
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 10th January 2012, 07:56

Great photos, Simon. My pink KO is still completely disease free when everything else is defoliating. I'm trying to infect it with BS, but no luck so far! Looks like I'll be getting 'Knockout' next.

By contrast my white Brindabella that was advertised as the latest disease-free wonderose is covered with BS of several varieties.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 10th January 2012, 11:14

'Brindabella Bouquet' is clean down here still but it has other flaws which make me wary of using it:

1. Its flowers don't open well in a cool Tassie spring. They just go mushy.

2. It has 'Baby Love' as a parent. This potentially makes it particularly prone to downy mildew. I haven't seen it on it yet but my other 'Baby Love' seedling cops it hard when grown in a pot, but not so much when grown in the ground. I don't know how to explain that Dunno

3. It doesn't set hips.

4. It's pollen seems only marginally fertile.

I would use BB with Knock Out to combine two different forms of resistance to hopefully make something bomb proof but I think it would be extremely hard work to make anything stick.

Last edited by Simon on 10th January 2012, 12:40; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 10th January 2012, 12:00

'Brindabella Bouquet' is quite unusual in my garden as it shows small fungus spots though the leaves are very slow to turn yellow and fall off.
I have never seen it leafless like so many of the HT's. This season when rain would permit I have put Marie Van Houtte, Roundelay and Montezuma pollen on it

I am not experienceing your problems here Simon. My bush is one of the originals bought when first released through Garden Express. It also makes a lot of hips, 1/2 to 1/3rd of blooms resulting in hips. In contrast some of the younger ones grafted for my own use (Breeding) just 3 years ago are still in pots are not producing hips. Could be a question of maturity!

Dave I agree it's not free of Blackspot but it has some resistence because though spotted it keeps it's leaves very well.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 10th January 2012, 17:00

That sure is a knockout Simon, when David looked this morning there was no pic. Lovely pic now.
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum