by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Freycinet

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Freycinet

Post by newforold on 9th November 2011, 18:53

Our climate is not usually humid (though it is this week!) but regularly gets over 40 degrees in summer. I have a hedge of 20 Roseraie de l'Haye that does very well on starvation rations. At my open garden last year, they were the plants that attracted the most interest. I was a bit surprised as I tend to take them rather for granted!
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Freycinet

Post by Admin on 9th November 2011, 18:54

This is an example of a rugosa hybrid seedling. It is R. rugosa 'Alba' x 'Papageno'. As mentioned above I am am hoping for striped rugosa. From the look of it the rugose texture is only very vaguely evident. This is about the best rugosa hybrid ( at this stage), I've raised out of 1000's; most are culled before this point. Those heading down the rugosa breeding path are in for a very long journey. You need to raise a very large number of seedlings to get something worthy of further testing and then it can take 3-4 years just to get your first flower and some will never flower. I'm confident this one will be striped. It is a step in the right direction but is not a finished product in itself. It needs to be crossed back to a rugosa to bring the rugose leaves back out and the disease resistance which I think will be compromised in this one. It's good so far but it has a long way to go before I get too excited about it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It is interesting to note that David Austin has dabbled in rugosa breeding and one to look for is called 'Mrs Doreen Pike'. As far as I know it is only available from Misty Downs. I have seen a hedge of it at The National Rose Garden at Longford, Tasmania, and it looks good. He has another called 'Wild Edric' that doesn't appear to be here yet.

Rugosa cross Teas is something I wish would work. I've tried something different this year with this idea. I usually cross the other rose onto rugosa because rugosa seed germinates really easily and you get some many in the one hip (my record is 92 seeds in the one hip from a 'Scabrosa' x 'Black Jade' cross). This season I'm doing them the other way around. So far I've put 'Alba' onto 'Safrano' and intend to put 'Alba' on 'Laura Ford', 'MME Joseph Schwartz' and any other Tea that presents a suitable flower. 'Laura Ford' is an interesting rose that is a climbing mini that seems to adopt the features of the pollen parent over its own whilst retaining the climbing and mini habit... I'm thinking of a climbing mini rugosa might be nice.

Another one you can get from Misty Downs is 'Max Graf'. It is rugosa x wichurana and was responsible for the development of the Kordesii line. It's a ground cover/rambling rugosa.

One cross I'm really excited about this year is crossing rugosa 'Alba' and 'Scabrosa' with 'Golden Chersonese' to try for a single yellow hybrid rugosa. A similar cross has already been done (see: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Fingers Crossed for this to work too.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum