Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Introducing Milly

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introducing Milly

Post by MSnoek on 22nd October 2011, 20:52

Hi All,

Just a note to introduce myself. I'm a novice gardener from Wollongong with a love of Roses!

I recently bought my own house, and at long last I have a garden of my own. So I've been at it for about 4 months now. I've almost cleared out all of the garden beds, and I've left all of the existing roses and planted a few that were given to me by a neighbour. I'm now convinced that I pruned too hard over winter because other gardens in the neighhbourhood have many roses and my rose bushes are mostly bare.

The pre-exisiting roses had been here since circa 1986, and I'm curious to find out what they are. I've subscribed to HMF however I think that I need more background knowledge before I can properly investigate the matter. I seriously need to study. Can anyone recommend a good beginner's book?

I have so many questions and would appreciate any advice you guys can give me!

Thanks for accepting my forum request, and I look forward to joining the community!

Milly

[img][/img]
MSnoek

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Introducing Milly

Post by Admin on 22nd October 2011, 21:37

Hi Milly! Where in Wollongong are you? That's my old stomping ground... back in the late 80's and early 90's I went to Wollongng Uni and did some teaching at Keira High and Wollongong High Smile I use to live in Murphy's Ave on the other side (from the uni) of the Botanical Gardens.

I think books are a poor choice to try and ID roses unless the books are detailed like 'Tea Roses. Old Roses for Warm Climates'. Most books a renot Australian will only show a photo of a bloom and this is such a variable feature that can change with age, location, and condition/treatment. The best bet is to take a series of diagnostic photos and then publish them somewhere like the Rose Sleuth forums here. Whilst flowers often vary in appearance, other features are more stable. I recommend trying to get photos of things like buds (at various stages of development), leaves (young and old), prickles, stipules (the bit where the leaf meets the stem), the whole plant, new stems and old stems.... that kind of thing. Sometimes flowers are very distinctive but often they are not.

Looking forward to seeing your mystery roses some time... sometimes we get lucky with an ID, however, often we don't!

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 23rd October 2011, 06:30

Simoin, could Milly mean a book, just on the rose in general, not ID ing.

To Milly a warm welcome Wave from me David(roseman)
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 23rd October 2011, 08:55

Hi Milly, welcome to Rose Talk. People often ask me what's the best tips I can give them about growing roses - my response is usually, 'don't be afraid to experiment - experience makes the best teacher". What works for me here in my garden can vary around the corner - just ask my neigbours.

Simon is right, a forum is the best way to learn and get the best-hands on advise, and all for free Exclamation For examples on how to turn an ordinary, tired old yard into a rose garden you may wish to take a look at some of the photos of my new gardening adventure on Photobucket: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check out the front garden called Giardino di Speranza, then wonder to the back garden. Not perfect and to everyone's taste, but it just shows what you can do when you set you mind to growing roses.

As to books, one of the first books I bought when I decided I really wanted to learn about roses, apart from just plonking them in the ground was How to grow Roses - over 350 varieties. It as a Sunset Book for all of $3.95 from the newsagent and it was published in 1980 and edited by, wait for it David E Clark! So many David Clarks in the rose world. It talks about all different classes of roses, about where to grow roses ... to quote from pg 23 A rose's requirements are not difficult to understand or satisfy! That sold me - I was never one to fuss about anything, it either lived or died Very Happy This is by no means a bible of rose books, but it gave me some confidence in that what I was doing so far (with only my Grandparent's tuition to go by) wasn't all that wrong. Now I read some of the recommendations in that bookd and it brings a smile to my face, as it takes me back to my original advise, experience is the best teacher.

Well done on chosing to garden with roses, you won't regret it. Pop on here often, there is a wealth of knowledge from a cross section of rose lovers.
RitaG

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by newforold on 23rd October 2011, 14:12

Hi Milly
I have lots of books, but then, I like books as much as I like roses! My best beginner's book as far as getting a good idea of what's out there is A-Z of Roses, general editor Mary Moody. The Australian Women's Weekly publication, Roses For Every Garden, was also a good starting point. I think Trevor Nottle was the main writer. I don't know if it is still in publication. For sheer reading enjoyment, anything by Susan Irvine!
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 23rd October 2011, 15:07

Ditto anything by Susan Irvine!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar on 23rd October 2011, 18:27

Welcome Milly, I too am new to growing roses, planted my first rose in june. I am learning alot from this forum. I am also looking for a general rose growing info book may be will get an idea from this discussion. Tamara Thumbsup
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by MSnoek on 23rd October 2011, 20:20

Wow, what a friendly online community!

I'm looking for a book with the basics, such as how to tell me the difference between types of roses, a guide to rose terminology, botanical names for the parts of the rose, a colour guide ( how do I know if my rose is light pink, seashell pink or salmon pink?) I'm a big fan of Women's Weekly cookbooks, so I might try to chase up Maree's suggestion Wink Regardless, I'll put together a list of suggestions and check out my local library.

Simon - I studied and now work at Wollongong uni and got married in the rose garden in the Botanical gardens! I'm from the southern suburbs of Wollongong.

Rita - You're the second person to tell me that this week, so it must be good advice! I'm on my way now to check out your photos Smile

Thank you all for the warm welcome
Milly
MSnoek

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 23rd October 2011, 21:11

I miss Wollongong,the Botanical Gardens, and the uni. I studied Education/Science (biochem, chem, genetics and stats mainly but a few other things as well)... would love to go back and do my masters in education (in teaching science using inquiry models or personalised learning) at Wollongong... Last I heard Barry Harper and Brian Ferry were still there in the Education Faculty. Good times!

Milly, since you made your request for books I've decided to make trawl through Amazon's lists of books and post links to book beginners and advanced Rosarians alike might find useful. It's in the Rose Library forum as a sticky post.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum