Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Hello from new member!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from new member!

Post by simplersjoy on 17th October 2011, 19:48

Hello,
I have about 20 different types of roses so definitely not in the same league as some of you who seem to have 20 different roses of each class! I have a quarter acre garden mostly with food plants and most of the roses are species and old roses that have been used for medicine and food but also some that are simply good companions for the other plants and my soul. I don't expect to be contributing lots here, but will ask some identification/history questions I have been wanting to ask and may check out some growing tips (although a lot of it seems basically similar to other rosaceae care, like the beautiful quinces, apples etc I grow). Speaking of pome fruit, I have grafted many apple, pear and quince varieties onto a small number of trees and have done a little bit of stone fruit but I haven't tried with roses yet, or citrus - so that might be something I might move into at some point. Would love to have time, space, commitment for hybridising and/or nursery but as my income is not in horticulture I probably won't go in that direction in any big way anytime soon.

I live in Blue Mountains NSW, with my wife and two young sons.
Good to be here,
Simon

simplersjoy

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from new member!

Post by Admin on 17th October 2011, 20:22

Hi Simon (great name btw)... I think roses as a food plant is a relatively untapped area to get into which is a shame I think as the health benefits of eating rose products has been known about for hundreds of years.

Have you got any rugosa roses? Their hips taste delicious and are about as big as early season cherries. Lots of seeds too but they are easily removed. The hips are great in jams or even wines. I had a an old hip left on 'MME Isaac Pereire' and I picked it off and bit through it on Sunday to see if there were any/many seeds (out of curiosity) in it and was struck by how sweet it was. Very unexpected Smile I'd love to try other rose recipes too... would be great to write a book on cooking with roses Smile

Welcome aboard.. I hope you do contribute a bit in the future and look forward to getting to know you Smile

Last edited by Simon on 17th October 2011, 22:25; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 17th October 2011, 21:59

Welcome simplersjoy, I see you are into health and food. Surprising, I have a very keen professional herbalist who buys roses from me and photographs blooms on our property.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 18th October 2011, 04:31

Hullo Simon again. Wondered what you were up to.

cheers. Oz
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by simplersjoy on 18th October 2011, 05:59

Ha ha Oz Rose, I noticed a couple of similar names to the Oz Garden forum. Was it Oz Garden? Yeah I haven't been using internet so much but certainly still gardening. Focussing a bit more on reliable and productive plants rather than rare woodland, alpine plants etc that require too much babying in harsh environment. Although I still follow my whims like grafting 40 different apple varieties when surely a handful would suffice for variety!

Simon, I do have a couple of Rugosas, though both unknown varieties I have collected from other gardens. One is tall and very vigorous with typical rugosa flowers and the other is a low very spreading one. As far as hips go, the varieties I have that are notable for hips are R. canina, R. rubiginosa (not that I 'knowingly' cultivate these two, no not me), R. laevigata and R. rugosa. I see them as part of a range of berries I will be eating in future as 'medicinal foods', others I am growing being Goumi, Aronia, Amelanchier, Blueberries, Bilberries, Currants, Raspberries and Blackberries, Goji and Wolfberries, Cape gooseberries, Gooseberries, Cherries, Barberries... what deliciousness there is in 'wild' and healthy foods!

I also have some of the oil varieties, R. trigintipetala, R centifolia cristata, R gallica 'Officinalis', R. alba 'Semiplena', R. moschata 'Semiplena'. One day I might create a still for producing some form of the oil.

simplersjoy

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 18th October 2011, 08:59

Hi Simplersjoy, welcome from me too !
I live near Gulgong, north/west of Mudgee. I Have around 900 different varieties of roses, half roughly of Heritage and Modern. I don't spray or fertilise, I just plant and water and weed around them and use the grass as mulch.
I love to eat rose petals on my meat and salad sandwiches, or just with cheese sandwiches. The petals are little bit like a lettuce I reckon, and very colourful on the sandwich.
I look forward to reading your posts, Simon.

Simon Tas, the one or two rugosa hips I have tasted were awlful, will have to try some more for sure now.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 18th October 2011, 19:25

Hello Simon,
Wecome from me as well.
What part of the Blue Mountains do you live?
It certainly looks like you know your roses. I look forward to hearing more of the things you grow.
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by newforold on 19th October 2011, 19:19

Hello Simon
Hello from another new member! My rose collection only goes into two digits LOL. I have got something over 40 varieties. I think you and my sister have very similar gardens. I am constantly learning from her about food plants and only recognised some of your berries because she grows them!
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum