» Rose Cuttings.
by carmel 10th September 2017, 15:19

» Winter Roses
by neptune 30th August 2017, 09:38

Trialing of new seedlings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trialing of new seedlings

Post by wphvet on 13th October 2011, 12:30

Regarding new seedlings,for a trial period of a couple of years etc, whether in pots or the ground, are they planted as is,,ie own roots,or are they budded onto rootstock for this period of trial. I understand the pros and cons of budding with mature plants,but am not sure what the experts do with new seedlings. These are mostly climbers/pillar breeding.Any help much appreciated.

wphvet

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Trialing of new seedlings

Post by Admin on 13th October 2011, 17:24

You will get a lot of different advice on this and really it depends on a lot of different factors. For instance:

What's the breeding behind each rose? Are they Tea/Noisette/China hybrids or pretty much purely modern roses? If they are of the above lineage then they will probably be good on their own roots anyway. Others like hybrid wichurana type roses will also generally be good on their own roots.

What are your breeding goals? If you are breeding for own root vigour then you won't want to graft them at all. For instance, if my seedlings don't grow well on their own roots I throw them away and don't bother trying to graft them as I don't want to breed roses that need a life-support system to grow well. I want my roses to strike from cutting easily and grow (and behave) well on their own roots.

What I do is grow my seedlings in pots until they are big enough to put in the ground (about 20cm in general.. depending on type) and then cull like crazy and only put the best in the ground and then let them grow on their own roots and discard any that don't do well on their own roots.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 14th October 2011, 05:41

Steven, I guess you might be asking for yourself. If it was me I would do it as own root and budded to see how they grow, because if they were to enter commerce they would be grafted.
The other thing is wait to see if Warren catches this thread, he has plants that would be up for trials if they are good enough.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5145
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by wphvet on 14th October 2011, 17:42

Many thanks for the advice,very helpfull. Yes mainly old types,esp Noisettes,non commercial,and keen to let them stand on their own two feet,,,own roots it will be initially.

wphvet

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 14th October 2011, 18:31

From memory some noisettes benefit from grafting too. I think it was on Di Durston's Facebook page that I was reading that 'Chromatella' often benefited from being grafted... will need to check. I have 'Lamarque' grafted and own root and the grafted one is much faster to get going but after a while you can't tell the difference.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum