David, see: The story behnd the rose.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ten Thousand Lights

Post by Ozeboy on 15th October 2011, 21:38

Hi Karen, I have a lot of people wanting Ten Thousand Lights which I will be budding when the canes grow bigger in diameter. There are 3 here activated last July/August 2011 which have bloomed. The blooms are red and globular shape with plenty of pollen for their size. I have a lot of mildew here at present which is sorting the duds from the studs. Marbree holds the championship for most mildew closely followed by Leda. Most of the China's have it from just to very bad.

Ten Thousand Lights is totally clean and is starting to look like a champion.

I will bud as many as I can from these 10 week old plants. The first one is for you Karen. I think Gary wanted one if he hasn't found one up north.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 16th October 2011, 07:03

Interesting story Simon, I scratch my head why the rose is not more in commerce.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5138
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16th October 2011, 09:53

Along the "totally clean" lines, when we had a plague of aphids I was impressed by how vigorously they avoided the "Rose sold as Papillon" aka "Almerta Mrs Heggie's Red " Tea, which may be Beaute Inconstante. I used to have this and Ten Thousand Lights each side of a path, but as it gets even bigger than TTL, in all directions, there is no longer a path.

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 16th October 2011, 10:34

Bruce

If you have one I'll certianly garb it

Gary
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM on 16th October 2011, 12:44

Talking about powdery mildew, I'd have to say that 'Agnes Smith' has so far proven to be a champion magnet for it. I've shifted her out where she can receive some stronger sunlight, which might do the trick. I noticed too that my 10,000 Lights cutting has never had any problems with mildew.

Obviously clonal reproductions of roses will all share the same disease tolerances. Seedlings are the only roses that do not.
IanM

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 16th October 2011, 17:45

As always... It's a matter of loacation, location, location. TTL spots here and has zero resistence to downy mildew.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM on 16th October 2011, 23:25

Yes Simon, location too is a major factor. Temperature of the air, humidity levels, rain, levels of shade and sun... all these things can contribute.

Something I always find odd is that in the literature they often say that dry hot days followed by cold nights causes powdery mildew. In my experience powdery mildew always comes shortly after rain when the weather turns warm and humid. It often appears here when a warm, moist wind is gusting in from the north or east.
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 16th October 2011, 23:58

I only ever see it when the days are warm and the nights are cool - text book-like.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 17th October 2011, 14:03

Hi Guys, all who mentioned wanting a T T Lights will get one. Just be patient, I have everyone on record here. I say that but haven't tried to bud such inmature buds on it. Have done some extremely green new buds on other roses previously with success so am confident.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17th October 2011, 19:03

Remind me to send you budwood when I send a batch - tell me when you're ready for it. You could say I have plenty!
Will be away from 22nd - 7th.

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 17th October 2011, 21:04

We've had a fair bit of powdery mildew this year firstly I think becuse of the hot days and cool nights but also we did not get that much rain in August September. The rain washes off the spores and the meldew does not take hold. We still get some but not a lot.

Since it started raining and storming the mildew has reduced considerably.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM on 17th October 2011, 22:26

Odd, I always find the mildew takes hold here during or after the rain! Perhaps its something to do with being west of the range. I also suspect that what we call "humid" weather here would probably be called "dry" weather on the coast. I know I've gone down to the coast during humid weather and almost died. The humidity is much more intense than here.
Simon, I'm also wondering if what you would call a "warm day" down there is what we might call "cold" up here? But then we are consistently much colder here than on the coast too. Shivering
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 17th October 2011, 22:33

What I'm calling a warm day is a proportional thing really... it's more the temperature differential between the day's maximum and the night's min. At the moment our days are getting up to about 17-20 degrees and our nights are still down to 2-3 degrees with the off chance of a frost. We've had a bit of ran lately but not as much as this time last year. You can actually kill off mildew on your roses by wetting them down thoroughly in the mornings because it hates moisture so much. This is also why a lot of water stressed seedlings will develop mildew... especially in pots. When (or if as was the case last year) the gap closes between day time maximums and night time lows I don't see mildew again. Black spot, however, is omnipresent. When it is cool and wet I see downey mildew.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 17th October 2011, 22:44

It used to be the thing that you did not water your roses in the afternoon because mildew (and Blackspot?) would be the result but I remember someone saying to put sprinklers under the leaves to wash to spores off.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM on 17th October 2011, 22:58

Yep Simon, those temps. would be "mid-winter" from our perception. Laughing

I'd have to say that the wetting down thing would not work here. Any kind of water on the leaf in evening or during night would almost certainly promote both black spot and powdery mildew. I find the more dry the air the better. Perhaps our climate is such that the mildew has a much narrower window of opportunity, which perhaps indicates that this climate is really not that suitable to mildew as a general rule. This is certainly true of both powdery mildew and blackspot here, as neither trouble me that much, except when we get rain and humidity. It always arrives after a strong, humid, gusty wind. I suspect the spores must take advantage of these strong winds to spread about.
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 17th October 2011, 23:16

A friend of mine, Robert Rippetoe, in California often says that he cannot test seedlings fo blackspot in the desert where he is because he gets next to none but he can test for powdery mildew because the warm dry days and cool dry nights and the overall lack of humidity favour it. Maybe there is more than one thing that causes similar symptoms as my observations here support Robert's observations in the U.S. Maybe there is a northern equivalent or even different strains.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM on 17th October 2011, 23:27

That could be it Simon. Different strains, perhaps even species of fungi may be responsible. Some that are prevalent in one climate may be absent from another climate. Would make an interesting study for someone who is into fungi, moulds, mildews and spores study
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum