Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Hello from new member

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from new member

Post by newforold on 7th October 2011, 14:54

Hello, I have just signed up so had better introduce myself. I live in Temora, NSW and am fortunate enough to have a big garden to play with. I love all things historical: antiques and collectables, vintage clothing and heritage roses! Tea roses are my favourites, with climbing Devoniensis being the best loved of all. I really looking forward to having someone to talk roses with (I already have chatboards for the antiques etc). I am still finding my way around the site, so if someone could point me towards the chatty area, that would be great!
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from new member

Post by Admin on 7th October 2011, 17:16

Welcome aboard, Maree Smile Looking forward to seeing photos of your 'Climbing Devoniensis'! It's new down here this year but is already showing signs of being one strong and beautiful rose Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 7th October 2011, 19:48

Hi Maree,
welcome to the forum.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 7th October 2011, 23:10

Hello Maree,
Welcome to the forum, I do hope you enjoy it here.
I just googled Temora and found that you are no where near us, we are in Mudgee. However you are close when we make our trips down south as we stay the night a Wagga.
As for antiques there are a few of us here roflmao
As for chatting I think we are haveing a chat night this weekend that I am sure you will enjoy. You will get to know more about the other members and thier interests. I will get David (Roseman) to let you know.
As for Roses it is easier to tell you what I dont like, singles. very thorny and I am not a great lover of white. Least favourite rose Mermaid roflmao
I look forward to hearing more from you.
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 8th October 2011, 07:47

Welcome newforold, you should learn quite a lot on the forum. We don't always agree with one and other but remain good forum friends.
To follow on from Carole, my dislikes are singles and field grown 3 year old or older HT's. Reason, they have 2 or 3 long roots which when cut off at 4 or 5 inches don't have any feeder roots. These plants with thick canes suffer great transplant shock and die right back to the graft. They usually send out very little shoots from the thick graft and take a lot of time to become viable. Younger 1 or 2 year old plants don't suffer these problems and canes start to shoot without die back. What's good for the grower is not always good for the gardener.

Best roses here are Mrs BR Cant , Jean Ducher, Comtesse de Labarthe, Crepuscule and some of the healthier HT's.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 8th October 2011, 07:52

Hi Maree,
Welcome to the forum.
Roses

Wendy
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 8th October 2011, 09:06

It is so nice to meet you, Newforold ! You have found a very good place to come and talk roses at Rosetalk. Very nice people here
Another place is Gardenweb, Antique Roses. It is a American forum. There was a little trouble with my postcode compared to their Zip code when I was joining or maybe it was to do with the name of your state, I emailed them and they joined me up.
Maree, please tell us more about your garden ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by newforold on 8th October 2011, 17:29

Thank you everyone for making me feel so welcome. Rose dislikes? Controversial topic! I might keep my opinions to myself until I become more established on the chatboard LOL. My personal preference is for a garden of many roses, rather than a rose garden, if you get what I mean.
My garden, hmmm. We built the house and began making the garden 19 years ago when we were first married. Currently house and garden takes up about an acre of our five acre block, although my husband, who trains trotters as a hobby, has agreed to evict horses from a little paddock beside the house and let me start gardening there. Yay! The front garden is the most exciting. It features a wide border inside a semi-circular driveway, with the central space consisting of large island beds surrounded by gravelled paths. Centrepoint of the garden is a six metre rose tunnel covered in climbing 'Devoniensis'. I have many other heritage roses, perhaps I should save them all for the next post! There are lots of other plantings as well as roses eg crab apples, silver pears, buddleia, westringia, wonga vine, salvia and many,many iris. There are plenty of historic pieces lurking in the garden eg old bricks, edging tiles, wagons, woven wire and gates. I have an obsession with gates.
Maree

newforold

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 8th October 2011, 20:26

Hi Maree
I feel for your husband. I have a wife who seems to share your obsessions. Always on ebay looking for gates etc. WE do however share your love of Teas having a wide selection of them, chinas and hybrid musks. Best roses for our conditions (SE Queensland).
Hope you find your visits here entertaining and educational.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 9th October 2011, 00:12

Maraee, I am looking forward to seeing photos of your lovely sounding garden.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 9th October 2011, 06:59

newforold wrote:Thank you everyone for making me feel so welcome. Rose dislikes? Controversial topic! I might keep my opinions to myself until I become more established on the chatboard LOL. My personal preference is for a garden of many roses, rather than a rose garden, if you get what I mean.

Ok Maree, as you missed our chat night, last night. How about expanding on the quote above, we will listen, some might agree, some may not, but that is ok.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151

Back to top Go down

Post by newforold on 9th October 2011, 18:32

So sorry I missed the chat last night. I had a quick look around 8pm, but it hadn't started, and we were on our way to see Red Dog with the kids. What a fabulous movie, we all loved it.
Maree

newforold

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th October 2011, 17:37

We have 2 new members, one is looking for rose info Merideth1954 and Rotator, keen learner.
Merideth is looking for "Ghislaine de Féligonde", can anyone help with this one.
They might post here shortly and tell their story.

Last edited by roseman on 10th October 2011, 17:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additions)
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 10th October 2011, 17:54

I have a two small "Ghislaine de Féligonde" (they were larger but I cut them back because they were not that flash) that were given to me.

That are not all they good at present. May be cuttings next year.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th October 2011, 18:03

Gary, without "giving the game up" where did they come from study
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 10th October 2011, 18:16

My brother in law gave them to me for my birthday or Christmas. He has it growing (or did) but not sure where he got it from.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 10th October 2011, 19:42

roseman wrote:Gary, without "giving the game up" where did they come from study

It's fine to mention names for things like this.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum