» info on rose
by neptune 19th May 2017, 00:00

» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

Something for thought

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Something for thought

Post by Guest on 6th October 2011, 12:04

For those of you who like the Golden Oldies to breed with, here is a thought to dwell on. Gloire De Djion classified (Noisette, Tea Noisette , Tea) is a tetraploid, if you want to do some breeding and want to retain that pure Tea Noisette look, and get a bit of hybrid vigour thrown in, Gloire D Dijion. I was reading were its pollen viability % is pretty low and what I do is collect it from 5 blooms or more.

This is one of my favourites which always makes to stop for a look.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Re: Something for thought

Post by Carole on 7th October 2011, 00:07

Hi Warren,
For my taste "Old Glory" looks a bit tatty but there again IF you can get hold of an old one they were a brilliant climber. Souvernir de la Malmaison being one of it's parents is one of my favourite roses so for me it has a lot going for it.
For me I would like to get back to the old cabbagy look, keep the scent, the repeat flowering but get a bit more of the mustardy colour into it.
So what I want is just about impossible - all we have to do is find a 100yr old rose bush that would still have it's wonderful quarters and would be the perfect breeder.
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7th October 2011, 07:01

Old Glory's foliage is not as good as Souvenir De la Malmaison, I will say that. I like the old look of yesteryear and the scent, A few years ago I was challenged to breed a HT, All the offspring which are flowering for their first time are from that challenge. I am happy with the results of colour and form , but I lost all my perfume I pride myself in obtaining. Glad that venture is over.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum