» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

Using the Oldies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Using the Oldies

Post by Guest on 18th September 2011, 07:56

I feel using some of those roses bred from late 1800's to around 1920's has some beneficial advantage. Alot of modern roses originating today owe their excistence to these cultivars. Some one said to me once, why breed from those when there are a lot of good modern roses to work with. The reason is, the amount of genetic material from these old roses is in the 0.03% or less, introducing it back into modern day roses sort of gives you a second chance of breeding a great rose all over again.

Here is a cross I did last year Queen Elizabeth X Mme Caroline Testou I am not saying this is a great rose but it is a start to reintroducing the oldies back in this modern age. The bloom is not good quality , but is to demonstrate what can be achieved .

Warren

Back to top Go down

Re: Using the Oldies

Post by Ozeboy on 18th September 2011, 09:02

I like that one Warren. Are you putting the seed parent first in your descriptions and the pollen parent second or last in all cases?

My daughter ( Five Star Yuppy in Sydney) bought a dozen roses which I first sighted when visiting yesterday. I accurately measured the stems at
17" long and without a vernier to measure, they looked 6 plus mm in diameter.
The bloom is Tulip shaped 70mm tall and 75mm wide, wait for it I'm saving the best till last. The bloom is a deep shade of brown with some lighter tones. I did take one with about 4 buds on it so within the next 5 minutes will be out budding. Will have to find the thickest Multiflora to put it on as the buds are very large. If these buds take, might have to rethink 2013 pollinating.

Will find out more next week, there may be other deep colours in this range?

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 18th September 2011, 09:05

The more I think about this large growth and deep colour, might be the the result of GM.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 19th September 2011, 06:07

Sounds scary, Bruce! And the perfume is.....?

I've see roses sprayed blue. Maybe they were drinking something (the roses, I mean) Roses

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 19th September 2011, 19:26

Sounds perfectly hiddeous Bruce! But, if its an import, then take heart. A friend who used to work for AQUIS told me that all imported cut flowers are bathe in a bucket containing a weak solution of 'roundup' or similar, to ensure that there is no chance of using the wood for breeding stock.

If its the result of GM, I have to ask .... WHY??? What is achieved by gross looking 'monstroses'?
RitaG

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 20th September 2011, 06:40

I guess there's a market for them otherwise the industry wouldn't bother. When I was at the Keukenhof gardens a few years ago (where they show the latest and greatest) I was dismayed to see huge tulips and daffodils that could hardly hold up their heads, all way out of proportion.

I vaguely remember buying some super duper extra large freesias a few years ago. When they bloomed the following year they were back to "normal" size. Why?

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 20th September 2011, 07:43

Everyone is fasinated with them as the growth is so huge. I did measure the stem accurately with a digital vernier and it measured 8.7mm.
The dozen blooms look stunning in the foyer of my daughters home.

I took the bloom into daylight and it is not as brown as first thought but it is the darkest brown/beige I have seen on a rose.

There are 4 buds on the thickest Multiflora I could find, hope one grows and there is pollen in the fridge. Everything about this rose suggests it came from Geracic Park, pardon the spelling.

I hope as Rita mentions it has not been treated to prevent people like me propagating from it for at $5 each someone has a gold mine above the ground.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 20th September 2011, 09:38

Bruce, do you think it may be Terra Nostra?

(Pic over on this page)
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25th September 2011, 16:49

A David Austin cross with drooping Tea like new foliage.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum