» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

Chromosome Doubling using Trifluralin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chromosome Doubling using Trifluralin

Post by Guest on 6th September 2011, 11:55

Thought I might do something a little different. I have seedlings comming up of OP Mutabalis and Alister Stella Grey. Using a solution of 0.013% of Trifluralin which will be applied to these seedlings at two leaf stage. Results will not be noticeable untill 20wks after application. Hopefully it will make them more compatable with Tetraploid moderns, but time will only tell, have to get them to double the chromosomes first without any dilema's .

Warren

Back to top Go down

Re: Chromosome Doubling using Trifluralin

Post by Guest on 15th September 2011, 13:15

Just applied the Trifluralin to Op Mutabilis, Safrano and Alister Stella Grey seedlings, have to leave it on for 24 hrs and then wash it off. All I have to do now is wait and note any changes (hopefully).

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 16th September 2011, 06:17

Warren, can you explain to the uninisheiated (spelling) me to, how you go about this process please, David.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5121
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29th September 2011, 16:17

Looks like the chromosome doubling may have worked, the new leaves look all deformed.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th September 2011, 16:29

Are the leaves deformed because of the Trifluralin doubling the chromosome count scratch
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29th September 2011, 17:42

Dave I am not sure if the chromosomes have been doubled yet, time will tell, but the chemical Trifluralin has done something, all good I hope. The seedlings do not seem to be stressed as to dying and it has been 2 weeks since I applied it to them.

Warren.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th September 2011, 17:50

How will you know scratch
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29th September 2011, 18:07

Dave there may be some structural difference,or the fertility of their offspring, but to be absolutely sure it would have to be tested.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th October 2011, 15:15

There are many ways to double chromosomes in plants. Simon has demonstated one technique using 3g/Lt Caffienne, another is the use of Colchicine and Trifluralin 0.013%. I applied this Trifluralin 0.013% solution to seedlings at the cotyledon leaf stage, which they where put in a sealed container with moist towels as to create high humidity, this stops the applied solution from drying out. The seedlings used were (OP) Mutabilis, Safrano and Alister Stella Grey.

After 19 days this is what they look like. They may look a bit sick to some people but they have had there insides stirred up so you can't blame them. The distortion of the leaves tells me something happened but it is still a little early to say what.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 4th October 2011, 18:31

Looks promising. I was chatting with David Zlesak and he was saying that it is a good sign that treated tissue goes to the point of die-back to show some new tissue growth coming through. I think if you can get these guys to double they will be extremely useful fir breeding better Aussie roses with modern tetraploids. David was also saying in previous conversations we've had over the years that doubling can result in a loss of vigour and is something to watch out for. It may not necesarily translate automatically into better plants and fertility issues may not be fixed either due to genetic mismatches. I think it is still a numbers game with this process as well and to keep on going until you get something vigorous. If you look at the Basye thornless rose pedigrees there was a doubled bracteata involved so this kind of thing can certainly result in something great. I imagine doubling some of the diploid species to combine with some of the tetraploid species to 'collect' species genes to then introduce into modern tets. Another that wold be useful is to double moschata because it is already remontant... exciting times Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th October 2011, 19:32

Simon did you like the expression they had there insides stirred up LOL. Poor little buggers. I really do think if some of these work, it will make life a little easier. At the moment treating Tea's and China's in this way could have great benefits in the future in creating roses suitable for growing along the eastern seaboard and into the subtropics.

With the vigour and fertility, one can expect a few hiccups along the way, its a pretty dramatic thing to happen to a living organism, all I can say glad it wasn't me.

The Euphrates I have was looking quite poor in a pot so I planted it in the ground and has not looked back, its sending up new canes everywhere. two of these canes I cut in half, waited one week untill the buds started swelling and treated all buds down the cane with this 0.013% Trifluralin. Reasons for doing this, some where on the net I read of hybrids having fertility problems , if doubled some times can be sorted out. I might be grabbing at straws with this one, but its worth a shot.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 4th October 2011, 20:54

Insides turned inside out sure is a good way to describe the turmoil these guys are undergoing. I bought 'Fairy Changling' this year to try and put 'Euphrates' with on the hope that if put back to one of its parents it might have more of a chance of a sucessful take.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th October 2011, 21:51

Would be interesting to see if it will stick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8th October 2011, 10:53

Here are two canes from Euprates which I cut in half waited untill the buds started to swell and then treated with 0.013% Trifluralin solution. Looking at the buds I would say the chemical has effected it one way or another because of the distorted growth. Euphrates being one of the Hulthemia Hybrids, its fertility is in question and being a diploid lends itself to chromosome doubling. Creating a tetraploid from this cultivar may?? make it fertile making it useable.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum