Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Mme Antonie Mari

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mme Antonie Mari

Post by Balinbear on 31st July 2011, 20:13

Had a bit of a surprise this morning while pruning (yes I finally succumbed to the need to clean up a few roses). We have 10 Mme Antonie Mari's in a circle around a pergola that on which we have wisteria growing. I was just going round to each one cutting them back (they can handle a hard cut back) without really taking too much notice when I cut one off and it had a branch that ran up and onto the top of the pergola. A good 3 - 4 long.

The roses were all grown from cuttings from a single bush and 9 put of the 10 were about 1.2 metres high apart from this one which may be a climbing sport.

Unfortunately until it grows back we won't know whether it was just an odd branch or we indeed have a climber. We have a climbing BR Cant and a Mme Lambard that also looks like a climber. Lee's brother has a Peace 1902 that climbs up to the roof of their 2 story house so I am starting to suspect that Teas in tropical climate tend to put out longer than normal branches and become climbers.

Anyone have any ideas regarding this?
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Mme Antonie Mari

Post by Admin on 31st July 2011, 21:51

I've found in Tasmania that even the climbing Teas don't seem to climb that much. I was reading that higher temperatures actually increased the chance of sporting so I guess you'll need to propagate a few of the climbing sections to see if it can be stabilised. If you cut that 'climbing' branch off this morning it's not too late to go and grab it and try to propagate it or from it. A friend of mine in the U.S. was using the pre-callousing method to strike long standard sections. I'm sure the same could be done from long Tea branches too. He wrapped the whole branch in moist newspaper and then put this in garbage bags to seal it. Once calloused he removed the newspaper and the bags but used tape (like duct-tape) to wrap the stem almost to the top until roots had formed to prevent excessive water loss from the stem and to prevent sunburn of the newly exposed stems. Seems to work really well for him too.

My little MME Antionie Mari is such a slow-poke. I'll be amazed if it even reaches 1.2m ever Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 1st August 2011, 08:42

I did some cuttings off the bit I cut (%%##@@) off. Mme AM usually strikes okay (thats where I got the 10 to start with) but I have tried the way I normally do thenm and also tried the wet paper way to see how it goes. Interesting about the tape as well.

I only did the cutting then normal size.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl on 1st August 2011, 14:00

Sounds interesting. She's a really pretty rose - even in summer here! - and fairly shade-tolerant. For the record, in Sydney, geographically in the middle of you two, she's about 1.2 metres, grafted and in the ground here for about three years, and doesn't look like getting any taller.

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum