Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Golden Celebration?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Golden Celebration?

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 11th August 2011, 06:52

Very well spoken Simon. What do they say "horses for courses" some roses grow for Gary, some for you and most for Rosalie. For me I give anthing a go, I have 'vanguard' this year, they say 'rust' is a problem, we will see.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 11th August 2011, 07:44

I've had some DA do really well and others (incl. Mary Rose... hmmm) be "ho-hum". But then, I'll freely admit that the care has been a bit lacking the last couple of years. The only one that has done well stuck in unimproved ground here has been Constance Spry. All the others are in garden beds so have had some level of manure and mulch. Of those I would rank Tess, Pegasus and Dove as my reliable and outstanding. Dove is on its own roots and in the same bed as Mary Rose (which may have RMV??). The Squire is taking off now and coming close to the top ones. Heritage and Jude the Obscure as well. They just needed a couple of years in situ I think to really settle. This year was the best Grace had looked so I'm hoping that one has turned the corner too.

If Mary Rose has RMV I guess I should yank it out. :/
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 11th August 2011, 19:34

It should also be noted that these comments apply to all roses and it is somewhat unfair to single DA roses out. Many are far superior to the bulk of the terrible HT and floribunda roses out there.

Regarding Constance Spry, it was his first! It was a cross between a modern rose and an ogr and is once flowering. These things alone make it a standout and mean it is not really in the same league as the others. Firstly, many once flowering roses have excellent vigour and disease resistance. The resources are channelled into growth and health rather than constant blooming. This is why the integration of remontancy into roses invariably correlates with a reduction in size and vigour. Constance Spry is an OGR hybrid (Belle Isis x Dainty Maid) and so has a lot of vigour. So.. there are many things that make it attractive - still not perfect for Australia though...

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 11th August 2011, 20:11

As this thread has been "thread jacked" a bit, lets continue, you mention it is not perfect, what does it need to be "good" for Australian conditions scratch
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 11th August 2011, 21:05

Yes, the DAs at my place don't perform any better/worse overall than the HTs or OGR. Which is, I suppose, a point in itself. Smile
I suspect that most of the "trouble" with health that I have with my roses can be directly attributed to neglect - weed competition and, for some, not quite enough water the last few years as they were being established. (This was a brand new garden out of a native grass paddock. And I am seriously thinking that roses and Microlaena sp. just don't get along at all...)

AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 11th August 2011, 21:05

well - not so much thread-jacked - more like evolution... Wink

Some would say evergreen.. not convinced on that, some say fully remontant - not sold on that either, healthy, and good own root.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 12th August 2011, 09:56

Simon I agree with everything in your lengthy post. Some roses just don't do well in this area for whatever reason, be it soil, humidity, temperature or whatever. I suspect soil because the DA's grow reasonably well in potting mix and when planted out they show poor root growth and lots of canes dying back. The soil PH is around 6 to 6.5 and in reasonable condittion through liberal use of deep litter poultry manure and other fertilisers.
Might be Curl Grubs which are constantly on the move. Worm activity is excellent due to the Organic methods.

There is nothing wrong with the modern English roses in numerous Australian area's, I love the blooms and fragrance which they are bred for and congratulate DA on his achievements. Wish I could breed roses as good very suitable for the East Coast of Australia. I have a friend in Warwick Queensland who grows modern English Roses to perfection.

If you have the time and live in the most suitable climate then go for it, you will be rewarded with some of the most beautiful fragrant roses grown anywhere.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 14th August 2011, 08:19

I have no argument with anything said here so far, especially not with the science of breeding/propagating/growing conditions etc. Gardening with any sort of plant is always conditional of the local environment.
Having said that, I'm very lucky to have been able to grow the roses (and many other plants) of my choice wherever I've gardened. I started out growing Hybrid Teas in the 70s when I was quite young J and recall my grandpa admonishing me NOT to place my lawn clippings or mushroom compost around the bushes as this would weaken and burn the roots. As much as I loved my grandpa, my gut instinct told me that it would be ok ... they thrived. Grandpa started doing the same to his ailing roses, but didn't have any luck with my method (his roses were already 20+ yrs old). Grandpa also used to spray the hell out of his roses - 'Rogor' was his weapon of choice at the time! I passed after getting quite ill from its horrid rotten cabbage-like fumes.

By the time I moved to my next garden I fell in love with David Austin's roses and the antique roses in general. In this next garden I had to built up the soil (too rocky to dig) to a height of about 50cm and used a mix of soil, cow, chicken & mushroom compost. I was again lucky and the roses (all 300+ of them) thrived. Yes, they contracted black spot, mildew, aphids and even die back to some extend and some died out etc. I decided that this wouldn't trouble me and I would not give in and spray. The garden produced its disappointments but in general the roses and other plants grew & thrived and I was sad to say goodbye after 20 years.

Now on my third major garden and I have repeated the above, 50cm soil mix built up, David Austin’s (salvia, pennyroyal, digitalis, columbines and various other companions) in the front - Teas and Climbers (+ companions) in the back (not as many this time). I still get some die back, black spot and some aphids but the birds clean these up quite well. I even have a resident unknown yellow hybrid tea that is now flourishing since I built up the soil around it & gave it a good prune back. I have discovered in this garden that there are a great deal of curl grubs, so time will tell if my garden will thrive for long. I seem to dig out around 20 grubs to a shovel full.

Bruce is right on one count, I use a lot of fish emulsion - every time I see it on special I buy several containers. I especially use it at planting time and then whenever I have time. But I certainly don't spend every spare moment in the garden, as a matter of fact, these days, being winter, I am hardly in it at all as I work full time and its dark when I get home. On the weekends I am way too busy fitting in other stuff but always make a point of walking around with my morning coffee if its not raining or freezing. Come the warmer weather and like most, I will spend more time watering etc.

I admire people who seek perfection and aim for excellence in their plants and gardens. Alas I have come to realise that if I am to continue to grow the roses that I love, then I have to put up with their imperfections as they have to put up with my neglect.

Bruce, I would love to house any of your cast off Austin’s. Time is a bugger at the moment so can‘t promise when I‘ll be out there next.
RitaG

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum