» Hi, I am new here :)
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:09

» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

R. rubifolia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

R. rubifolia

Post by AutumnDamask on 27th June 2011, 21:09

Just wondering what the thoughts on this one are. I could have picked one up today at Golden Vale but I didn't know anything about it.
Useful for anything in particular?

Should I have brought her home with me??? Temptation
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Re: R. rubifolia

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 28th June 2011, 06:59

AutumnDamask wrote: Useful for anything in particular? I am sure you have space for it
Should I have brought her home with me??? Temptation
By placing this on here I think you are going to get it anyway, are you trying to convince us or yourself.

Wendy, do you use HMF Roses, it will tell you all about the rose, it is once flowering, if that has anything to sway your mind, all my books tell the same story. If you do buy it won't it need a friend to sit next to it Hmmmm

Last edited by roseman on 28th June 2011, 07:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word additions)
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5138
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 28th June 2011, 20:31

Rosa rubifolia is an old name for Rosa setigera. This is a most interesting rose as it is the only rose species that has separate male and female plants. This makes it very useful in breeding because you know that if it forms hips it is a female and so any hips that form must have been from cross pollen and if it doesn't you know you have a male plant whose pollen will be viable but it won't set seed. A female plant is very useful in breeding because if you get hips then you know your cross worked and any seedlings will be hybrids.. no chance of selfs. I also have 2 cutting grown plants from a friend growing here. They are still very small and I haven't seen any flowers yet so I don't know if I have a boy or a girl. It has unusual limey green rugose leaves that have only three-five leaflets and look a bit like a blackberry. It strikes very easily and I it makes a beautiful suckering shrub/climber. It grows huge.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 28th June 2011, 20:37

Actually, I was wondering if it was actually R. rubrifolia / R. glauca that I saw. Which is something quite different...
I was looking it up in the books last night and wondered if I was remembering the spelling wrong since I actually just glanced at it in the pot. (thinking *avert eyes from potential breeding stock - have enough...* LOL)
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 28th June 2011, 20:40

R. glauca is a most beautiful species too.. it is on my wishlist of must have species roses for both breeding and the garden.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 20th July 2011, 00:30

Thanks for giving us that imformation Simon. If Mistydowns has those ones left in its discounted roses at the end of August, I will buy them.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum