» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

Fertilizers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fertilizers

Post by neptune on 10th May 2011, 09:39

This is one subject I couldn't find on here....

Like most people , I'm looking for the ideal ferlilizer for the roses,.....and especially the NPK ratio's.

Now if I look overseas, I find that they use ratio's of 010, 011, 121, 122, 132. Now I understand this as they are trying to improve the root system and blooms and keeping the nitrogen level down so that it is not just a leafy bush.

Now here in Oz, I cant find anything that looks like that and even a dedicated fertilizer like Sudden Impact has a NPK ratio of 9 4 12. So it looks like it is looking after the leaf and bloom , but not so much as the root system.

So my question would be..."What do the top rose growers use as a ratio of NPK and is it available to the public?"
neptune

Number of posts : 2406
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Fertilizers

Post by Guest on 10th May 2011, 11:08

Howdy Neptune. 121,122, 132? NPK values are normally listed like sudden impact , with alternative list for micro nutrients. Phosphate helps root develoment , but I feel to much is put on the garden, super phosphate , releases two ways, first one is water soluble, releases quickly and the other which breaks down slowly. My thought on this is it should be applied every 2 yrs. Potassium is good for making plants bloom well and drought resistant ( it stimulates the little pores in the leaves making them function better, therefore controlling moisture loss).

The thing about using organic fertilizers in the cooler months is, bacteria breaking these down to release nutrient, is greatly reduced and you will find a lot of it will be leached out before the plant has time to uptake it,(sort of why we have refridgerators, keeping food fresh because it lowers bacteria growth) In the cooler months I use chemical water soluble fertilizers and as the soil temperature warms up switch to organic as it increases microbial activity. An other thing I do is feed often but in small amounts which keeps the plants in a constant growth pattern. Feeding in spring then in summer, what happens you get big growth spurts and then they slow down again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 10th May 2011, 11:28

Thanks Warren,
That makes a lot of sense to me
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 10th May 2011, 12:35

Ozroz wrote:Howdy Neptune. 121,122, 132? NPK values are normally listed like sudden impact , with alternative list for micro nutrients.

Thanks for the reply ....I will clarify the above as they are ratios'......

eg: 121....5 10 5 or 10 20 10
122...5 10 10 or 10 20 20
132...5 15 10 or 10 30 20

I hope that helps Very Happy
neptune

Number of posts : 2406
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 10th May 2011, 14:39

I had a look at sudden impact and another organic product that the local fruit coop sells. The percentage ratios were similar for the NPK but the quanity per 100grams was about twice as much in the sudden impact than what was in the other product. The trace elements were also about half of that in the sudden impact.

The bucket of sudden impact sold for about $45 and the bag of the other product (about 3 times the size as the bucket) sold for $22. I figured that if I put twice as much of the other product on the garden I would still come out well and truely on top as it would be costing me less than half the price.

I think my theory is sound and it did not hurt my plants and they grew well. Mind you we do not fertilize them all that much so throwing a banana skin on the garden may have had the same affect.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum