» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Christie from Victoria

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Christie from Victoria

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 20th March 2011, 06:10

Please make welcome Christie, she hales from Victoria. I hope she enjoys our forum and tells us a bit about her rosey addiction cheers

Last edited by roseman on 20th March 2011, 06:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling.)
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Christie from Victoria

Post by ChristieB on 6th August 2011, 19:51

Hello! I am embarrassed to be only getting around to introducing myself now! Embarassed We have 5 year old twin boys and a 3 year old daughter, so spare time is at a premium...

Wave Hello everyone, and especially Barbara B and Betty (AKA Aunties Barbara and Betty!)

We have a 1200m2 block in the Dandenong foothills (Vic) which is "big" for this neck of the woods. We inherited a garden that had once been loved, but which had suffered through rental neglect. I took over the sunniest part for vegie beds, and put up a 6x8' greenhouse. There were two lovely old (name unknown) roses right in the way of the vegie beds, so rather than digging them up, I built around them. When they are in bloom I will pick your collective brains to try to identify them.

Tomorrow I am off to find a couple of climbing Zephirine Drouihns to grow up a metal archway. It was here when we moved in last year, but I recently moved it into a sunny part of the lawn (the leggy, brutally thorny climbers which languished in its previous shady location I sent to oblivion!)

Thumbsup Thanks for the welcome!

ChristieB

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 6th August 2011, 20:36

Hi Christie Smile

You've come to the right place if you want enabling when it comes to roses...
Innocent
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 6th August 2011, 21:39

Hullo Christie and welcome to Rose Talk.
I know of those Aunties of yours roflmao , you are in bad hands and they are sureley going to lead you astray further into the absorbing web of rose growing.

Twins Laughing , a handful especially at their age.
Had triplets here myself once , but they were a little bit too prem for the time and technology. My tentative rosebreeding is to create them a lasting name.
Now have 3 more young kids whose activities all cut severely into gardening time. Roses

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 7th August 2011, 08:16

Greeting Christie,
lovely to meet you here, and how dare Rosalie say we'd lead you astray!! We'd advise you and mentor you, but LEAD - never!! VBEG
Zephirine Drouhin is a good non-thorny choice for the arch, with the added bonus of being s nice rose.
Greetings to James too.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty on 7th August 2011, 11:39

A big welcome from me too, Christie. Your mum told me you were very interested in gardening. Glad you like roses, and particularly Zepherine Drouhin. It's not often I want to have two of any particular rose (that leaves less space for the many on my wish list) but Zepherine Drouhin is one of them, and maybe Just Joey. I am so green with envy over your greenhouse. Are the children mini gardeners yet? If you ever want seeds of some heirloom tomatoes, all shapes, sizes and colours, let me know, they may find them interesting.
Don't listen to Rosalie by the way, she's the BAD influence. LOL. She keeps showing us beautiful rose photo's, and she knows how weak I am. Innocent If you like roses enough to detour around some with your vegie gardens you could fall under her spell too. Shocked
Good to see you here. Very Happy
Betty

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 8th August 2011, 11:31

Hi Christie, nice to see you here. It sounds like you have a lovely family and you must be a very busy mum. Gardening is a great hobby to have. I look foward to talking with you here.
I am very sorry to hear about your Triplets, Rosalie.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristieB on 9th August 2011, 20:59

Thumbsup Thank you very much for the warm welcome, everyone.

Rosalie, I am so sorry to hear about your babies. I would love to hear more about them and your rose breeding sometime. Our boys were 32 weekers (but tried very hard to be 27 weekers) and every day I think how lucky we were. How old are your other 3 children?

Aunty Barbara, when I think of my "ideal" size garden, yours comes immediately to mind! I find myself looking over the neighbour's fence at the back yard they never use and wonder if one day they could be persuaded to part with it...

Aunty Betty, one of our little boys in particular is a tomato fiend. I have grand ambitions to grow bottling quantities, but I'll have to lock him inside to get away with it! I would love some seed if you have some spare flower

Funny you should mention Just Joey- I planted one only yesterday. Our little girl is Josephine (partly in recognition of the plethora of Josephs in the family tree!) so it seemed fitting. I also put in a Gold Bunny and a Children's Rose.

The kids are budding green thumbs- I wanted them to grow up knowing that vegetables and fruit come from the garden, not the shops. Patience is a challenge for little people who want everything instantly, but they have their own little tool sets and love to "help". I just have to bite my tongue sometimes and try to get things done around the "helpers"!

And don't tell James about the R. Rugosa alba I planted for the hips either... Coming up Roses

ChristieB

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty on 10th August 2011, 02:00

Christie, you sound just like Siri(Jan) on another forum. She did buy the house next door so she could extend her garden. Very Happy I just claimed a small sheep paddock here to have room for my roses. You are going to love Just Joey, it's a magnificent rose. Huge blooms once it gets established. You chose 3 lovely roses in fact. Oh, sorry, 4. LOL. I just bought the Rugosa named Vanguard.
There is a tomato named Bush Wonder that really produces well and for a lot longer than some others, that might help you beat the tomato lover and have some for bottling, but what about some nice cherries? There's a small cherry named Snow White that just pops when you bite into it and it's so sweet they rarely get from the bush to the house here. Rolling Eyes I'll get a good assortment worked out though. The children need to know that tomatoes come in all colours. Very Happy
I thought you'd chosen a nice name in Josephine but didn't link it to the Josephs, very appropriate. Thumbsup
Betty

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 on 13th August 2011, 21:48

The story behind the naming of Just Joey goes something like this.
The breeder, Roger Pawsey, from Cants Nursery in Colchester where we once lived while my husband was on sabatical leave, was asked by a friend what he intended calling this lovely new rose. He replied that he would name it for his wife. Joey Pawsey his friend asked? No Just Joey was the reply. Joey Pawsey is a sculptor and her hair appears to be auburn or at least in the autumn tones of Just Joey.

I have had a Just Joey for many years and it really needs replacing as I feel I cannot live without it. It is a privilege to have a rose named after you and I am one of the lucky ones to have received that undeserved honour.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 13th August 2011, 22:02

....and what a lovely honour. Beautiful story.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 13th August 2011, 22:41

Yes that is the same story I heard too.
Lucky lovely Joey.
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 13th August 2011, 23:48

Which rose was named after you, Bonita? This one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ?

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 on 14th August 2011, 15:53

Yes - that is the one by George Thomson

Bonita18

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 14th August 2011, 17:37

The breeders around the world are just waiting for the right rose to name after me.

It will have grey flowers to match my hair, Stooped over growth to match how I look when working in the garden and red sap to match the blood that I always seem to have running out of my arms or legs (must be great to live down south in the cool and wear long pants and sleeves in the garden).
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 on 14th August 2011, 18:07

It should have been a grey rose for me too and very full and prickly! I don't think it has massive hips.
Yes I know that you mean. At the end of the day in the rose garden I just about need a blood transfusion! I did get heatstroke once and had a not so friendly eastern brown snake visit when I was showing the President of the Botanic Gardens around. Other times people have thought my black and red weeping hose was a red belly black.

Bonita18

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty on 14th August 2011, 18:36

You are funny, Balinbear. Laughing I had to weed a circular bed with 20 roses in it today and must admit that even though it was warmish, I wasn't taking off my jumper.

A grey rose .... could be nice. Very Happy
Betty

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 14th August 2011, 19:46

Lee suggested a couple of other properties of 'Balinbear'. A virbose truck and a lax habit (from when she asks me to do things)
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 19th August 2011, 22:23

Best rose naming quote:

I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 20th August 2011, 19:37

Luv it!
Balinbear