by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Looking for an Orangey/pink 1.5m for en masse around house

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking for an Orangey/pink 1.5m for en masse around house

Post by Ursula on 1st March 2011, 13:21

Hello all!!

I'm looking for a vibrant apricot/orange hopefully with touches of raspberry and these are the names I've investigated so far, your growing experience would be greatly appreciated and further recommendations welcomed.

I've experienced Julia's Rose as a hedge and I absolutely loved it! I think it's a little too sedate for the feature position I'm intending to give it, although I'd be easily convinced otherwise!!!

Just Joey: I've heard wonderful things about this one. I love the bloom size, ruffles and generally upright shape. No pink Sad Last resort I think.

Disneyland rose / Ltle Romeo - I really love this colour but I don't like the dusky pink the blooms mature to.

Tuscan Sun:

Tahitian Sunset:

Pat Austin: great colour! A bit on the floppy side for my liking:(

Brandy's rose:

Royal Dane:

I need something black spot resistant, there is frequently fog lingering all day and generally moist conditions even in this westerly facing position.

Thanks in advance for your help, I've been preparing the beds for the last 12 months and that time is soon approaching where I simply must make a bare root decision...

Ursula

This rather squished looking bloom below is perfect: The owner has no idea what it is, other than it's a climbing rose: Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

More images of it here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ursula

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-03-01

http://www.lyrebirdpearls.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for an Orangey/pink 1.5m for en masse around house

Post by Guest on 1st March 2011, 17:01

G'day Ursula Wave

I would like to throw 'Firestar' into the mix...

I bought it just for the cause but it has done very well here (shockingly so!!!); its flowers are beautiful (orange & raspberry) & it also grows strongly & has remained in great health all season. Mine is carrying loads of big fat hips & still manages to rebloom well...

I am not sure as to its ultimate height though!

Happy gardening...

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st March 2011, 17:36

Ursula,have a look at 'Firestar' as Damo has mentioned he knows his roses.

I say this in my way, you have a blank canvas I assume, more info for some to come up with options, lets say.
Length and breadth of the verandah, temps, water, sun direction, spray/no spray. Any other info for our team of "helpers" could give you the "perfect" result roflmao
When you are ready I will assemble the team roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 1st March 2011, 20:56

G'day David! Smile

I don't usually recommend roses that I have had for only 8 months but there is something about 'Firestar'...

I was looking at 'Honey Dijon' today & I think that this rose would make a great hedge as well; very eyecatching & I wish I hadn't held off getting it for so long. As you know, I don't ever spray my roses & I live in a place that is often cold & wet but 'Honey Dijon' has shown itself to be very disease resistant here. If only its mother, 'Stainless Steel', would behave itself! LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl on 1st March 2011, 21:01

Hi Ursula. Nice to have you here. I wouldn't qualify for any expert team but if you want a modern hybrid tea flower, Arizona would qualify for a "possibles" list. It has the intense colours you like and wonderful perfume. Check it out on the Help Me Find site.

Or, if you want much more foliage and flowers (albeit smaller blooms) and a softer look, you might have a look at the china rose Comtesse du Cayla.

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st March 2011, 21:08

Ursula, the 2 people that have replied are bloody good rose growers, forgive the b word, 1 lives in southern NSW and the other lives in 2 houses. I will not give away their personal details as that would be wrong. Both have lovely roses and will help in your quest for the garden you want.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st March 2011, 21:12

As this is your thread Ursula, is it ok if I say Hello, to Damo and Meryl, I guess it must be as I have just said it.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ursula on 1st March 2011, 21:53

Firestar is gorgeous! And quite fitting for us too!

Honey Dijon is stunning! I really do feel it and Julia's are just super classy ladies. Too many choices!!
I'm adding Arizona to the list also! Thanks Damo and Meryl!!
Comtesse du Cayla is too open for the look I'm after Sad

Roseman, indeed - a totally blank canvas of empty beds, 1.1m deep and approximately 17metres around the west side of the verandah minus steps and an existing climber...

...which brings me to a painful question: should I remove this established rose because I think I'm fighting a losing black spot battle and I do not want to affect the new plants?

Garden beds have held peas and beans, have had a mixture of chicken and horse poo with mulch over the last 12 months and are just bare now:

And here's a full view I just took now in the dark - perhaps a daylight pic would be more helpful teehee~

Temperatures range from 47c in Feb 2009 to chilly snow in Oct 2010... more seriously, we're on the edge of the temperate rainforest, it seems to be quite a wet Autumn and the ferns on the south side of the house are in 7th heaven. The proposed area gets all the afternoon sun, barr about a metre off the northern part of the garden bed shaded by something evergreen as seen in the picture immediately above

I'm not adverse to spraying. I do have pets (two dogs, three cats and three chooks) - sprays must be safe for my beloveds.
This is quite an investment and I'm more than willing to water daily.
The soil is I think pretty okay for the top 2ft I'm just guessing - under this is a rich orange red clay, I don't know much about soil but it forks over without too much sweat.

The plan was Ornamental Grape vine climbing up verandah pilars, then roses, then light underplanting with lavendar or catnip etc..

Any thoughts?

Ursula

Back to top Go down

Post by Ursula on 1st March 2011, 22:03

Has anyone grown the Nancy Reagan rose?

Ursula

Back to top Go down

Post by Ursula on 1st March 2011, 22:07

Damo, I cannot find many photos of Firestar in it's various bloom stages..

Can you tell me if the colour changes at all? Does it go a funny pink or does it retain the orange the whole way through?

Thanks,
Ursula

Ursula

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 2nd March 2011, 06:38

Ursula, the ground sounds like it will all the above plants without any trouble.
As for water, I assume your on tank water, is there any other supply.
I would being thinking of a dripline system to the whole bed with a timer
The other thing is do you know the name of the existing rose?
Love the night shot of the verandah with the porch light on Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ursula on 2nd March 2011, 10:29

Hi Roseman - a drip feeder system eh? Is it better for the plants or just more convenient for the waterer..?

We have both tank water and bore water.

I can't seem to decide, are there combinations you think will look good planted together? Alternating roses?

At first I was content with the idea of dedicated rose beds a bit bare during parts of the year - now I wonder if there are things I can plant so that when the roses die down there is still a little display...

Can you explain to this poor rose novice how long for and during which months would Firestar, Julia's etc be dormant and what have others used during those months? I was thinking bulbs but wouldn't they bloom the same times as the roses?

Ursula

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2nd March 2011, 21:14

Hi again Ursula Smile

'Firestar' remains orange - but with more pink through it - right to the end! I have never dead-headed this rose (& I'm a stickler for it) so the blooms must "age" nicely & drop their petals cleanly or I would have noticed otherwise!

I am forever removing ugly old petals/ flowers off of 'Honey Dijon'...still she is nice though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 2nd March 2011, 23:47

Ursula, Helebores should flower when you want them but you will have the leaves the rest of the year. I love my Bearded Irises with Roses but they flower in the spring so maybe you dont want anything flowering at the same time as your roses. Still thinking round my garden. I have German Purple Irises and they flower before the others - say August I think.
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 3rd March 2011, 06:33

Ursula with the drip system, the water goes to the plant and is not dispersed to anywhere else.. No wasted water It comes in plain poly or with in line drippers. I bought a roll with 300ml spacings and 2Lt/hour.
It has been used for my vege garden, ideal spacing for most veges, rose garden with added misting drippers in some places for annuals. Other places recieved a push in dripper if the plant needed more water if I thought so.
The dripline is made by Netafim and is carried by most rural supply companies. It comes in 3 colours, puple for what is refered to as grey water(washing machine), brown, generally so it fits into the garden colours and black if you don' care.t Not sure what you have in your area.
What is the bore water used for and do you know the makeup of the water, ie, Ph, calcium, iron, other minerals, flow rate.

On the subject what might go with the roses, is the bed to be planted and "left" or do you plan to play in it.
Can you remember the name of the Clb rose?
Does the rose you end up choosing have to be the same, with that thought, what other colour do you like which would go with orange ?

Some more thoughts for you to ponder. David.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ursula on 22nd March 2011, 12:16

Hello, I'm back again

I managed to take some pictures of the Clb rose:

This is the rear of the plant as it leans into the veranda:

And the front showing massive defoliation and BS attack:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't what it's called. It's thornless, light pink to white flowers, and very sick! I inherited it when we moved into the house and it looked quite healthy until 12 months ago and it has declined steadily since then.

Remove? Chop back?

Ursula

Back to top Go down

Post by Ursula on 22nd March 2011, 13:02

I've also found another rose growing in the yard, any ideas what this might be?

I think this colour is perfect!

I don't know anything about roses so I can't explain the rose 'body type' I'm looking for that will create the hedge look I'm after..

I'm going to expose my ignorance here:
There is roughly a timeline for roses right? Old fashioned roses generally have great perfume and a distinct flower/petal shape..rose growers try to get different colours and more tightly formed flowers until now we have the modern red rose a guy would order for Valentines that generally doesn't have any perfume at all but is pretty and has a long straight stem.

...am I sorta on the right track?

I *think* I'm looking for something in the middle of this time line. It needs to be a fairly large plant to reach the top of the handrail (over 5 feet) and needs to join up well, not just look like individual plants doing their own thing...
...so while I LOVE the rose pictured above it's a very small, compact bush and I think it's not the right 'body type' for this project. Of course I could be talking horse sh*t and I'm open to being corrected.

Ursula

Ursula

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 22nd March 2011, 16:52

As I am first at the naming of the rose, IMO, it is Cecille Brunner/Bloomfield Abundance.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ursula on 22nd March 2011, 17:12

roseman wrote:As I am first at the naming of the rose, IMO, it is Cecille Brunner/Bloomfield Abundance.

Sounds like a good fit Roseman! Now what would *you* do with it if it were yours?

Ursula

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum